Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is working for me on a 5i3ryk, I have been using it to connect to my keyboard. Haven't tried on any other device though - headphones, speakers etc.

I enabled bluetooth in bios before I installed OSX.

When i first installed OSX El Capitan using this guide, OSX didn't see bluetooth, however i then booted off a Kubuntu 15.10 USB stick, Kubuntu saw bluetooth right away, so used with BT keyboard, then I booted into OSX straight after that, and I could then connect to the bluetooth keyboard with OSX too.

I have been using bluetooth with OSX for past 5 days without any issues.

I am using the integrated bluetooth on my NUC5-i5-RYH. I simply enabled it in my BIOS before install.

It worked the first time I got booted into ElCap, and it seems to work great with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It did not work in Yosemite (it would not detect or pair with anything). I am quite happy with it's performance and reception, although, mounting it behind my monitor seems to have dropped how far away I can use my mouse (only 5 feet now, used to be ~15).

I would like to add that I get random reboots about twice or four times a day, (they come in groups of two, usually about 10 minutes apart). I don't know if it's bluetooth related, I wouldn't know how to diagnose that, maybe ammulder can comment. There are no console messages about blued so I think it's okay!

No; please read the first post (the guide). The internal wifi card is not compatible with OSX and will not be. You'll need to find a USB dongle; there is a link on this very page ammulder posted to a thread which contains the right ones to buy. I use an edimax.

Thanks for the guide.

I haven't built a computer in about 3 years, so had to play a little catch up with all the new hardware.

Picked up a NUC5i7RYH, thought i could add a m.2 wifi card didn't realize m.2 supported different hardware types, first mistake. After that figured i'd get an m.2 SSD so I picked up a SM951 NVMe, second mistake, should have gotten the ACHI version. I really wanted the NVMe for the faster random reads

Anyways, have a sata SSD for now and 16 gigs of ram, the setup went smooth.

Everything seemed fine except for the misreporting of the CPU info and also having problems with the screensaver not coming on and/or my monitors going to sleep. This annoyed me enough to try and fix the prob. Figured it had something to do using the Macbook Air as the product name instead of something like the mac mini.

I used these settings to switch over to the Macmini7,1 and that solved my screensaver / display sleep problem and also the cpu info is now reported correctly.

<key>BiosVendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>MM71.88Z.0220.B00.1409291751</string>
<key>Board-ID</key>
<string>Mac-35C5E08120C7EEAF</string>
<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
<key>BoardType</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
<string>Mini-Aluminum</string>
<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
<key>ChassisType</key>
<string>16</string>
<key>Family</key>
<string>Mac mini</string>
<key>Manufacturer</key>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>Macmini7,1</string>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
<string>CK2xxxxxGCVH</string>
<key>Trust</key>
<false/>
<key>Version</key>
<string>1.0</string>

just did an install on the NUC5i5MYHE with el capitan I have a samsung evo m.2 HD and the dell m.2 wireless card

I used your guide to configure bios settings but then decided to fallow the main unibeast/multibeast guide.

so far i have a fully booting install no wifi support in multibeast ( figured as much) and the video seems to be slow.. (the transitions take longer than they should also some clipping is going on).

I will edit this post with updated info

BIOS version
BIOS Settings
wifi support and install ( will use your guide so I anticipate working well)
video updates ( will play with some settings in bios for igp etc. )

will also test bluetooth ( I think the only thing I have though are speakers)

also in multibeast I chose the 15,1 imac not sure that was correct I can take a look at the settings for that revision and will set appropriately if it should be changed...

Yes, I plan to update the guide to UniBeast/MultiBeast when I get the time.

Hopefully with time, we will get the WiFi/Bluetooth drivers added to MultiBeast as well.

As for the SMBIOS, I went with what was recommended back when people were first getting the NUCs working -- but there may be better options. Glad to hear that Macmini7,1 works. Another thing to explore given time. :)

No; please read the first post (the guide). The internal wifi card is not compatible with OSX and will not be. You'll need to find a USB dongle; there is a link on this very page ammulder posted to a thread which contains the right ones to buy. I use an edimax.

Which Edimax USB dongle do you use? Looking for one that has amble speed and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back