Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange. That's my working config. What firmware are you on? I'm also surprised 4k works buts that's good to hear. Please share additional patches that you find and we can trial them.

Thanks again for looking into this. The following are some delta from what you are using.

ACPI:
Looks like I had some unnecessary extra stuff in ACPI for drop tables from SSDT. Must have been from my attempts to get sleep on my HD530 (that still does not work). After I removed the drop table entries I no longer have to PatchAPIC in this section.
The lone entry I have more than you is the DSDT Patches section:
CHANGE _OSI to XOSI - 5F4F5349 - 584F5349 (see attached image)
Unsure what purpose this serves, but from the clover configurator "boot log" I can see that its replacing something successfully

1:634 0:000 === [ GetUserSettings ] ===================================
1:634 0:000 USB FixOwnership: yes
1:634 0:000 - final DSDT Fix mask=00000000
1:634 0:000 PatchesDSDT: 4 requested
1:634 0:000 - [00]: (change _OSI to XOSI) lenToFind: 4, lenToReplace: 4
1:634 0:000 - [01]: (Change EHC1 to EH01) patch disabled, skipped
1:634 0:000 - [02]: (Change EHC2 to EH02) patch disabled, skipped
1:634 0:000 - [03]: (Rename HDAS to HDEF) lenToFind: 4, lenToReplace: 4
<end of ACPI>

BOOT pretty much what you have provided in your guide (except for verbose mode).

CPU, DISABLE DRIVERS, GUI, GRAPHICS - same as what you have provided to us in this guide.

RT VARIABLES - I am using 0x67 for SIP/CsrActiveConfig, different to what you have.

SMBIOS - same 17.1

SYSTEM PARAMETERS: Inject Kexts need to be "YES". You have "Detect" - If I use this in my config - nothings gets loaded (wifi, ethernet,.. nothing). I tried putting kext in 10.12, others - irrespective of where kext is, it only gets loaded when this options is "YES" for me.
<end of SYSTEM PARAMETERS>

DEVICES - I have replaced the original intel that was in the motherboard with BCM94532Z per your guide. However
my WIFI device ID is setup as 0x43BA14E4. Maybe I followed it from this helpful thread "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/bcm94352z-installed-on-asus-z170i-pro-gaming-wifi-and-bt.191274/"

I have used Audio Inject = 7 from your guide, but looks like you use 1. With the value "7" I get sound from the black pin (csub) in the motherboard.

Also I cannot boot without "FixOwnership" under USB checked. If this is uncheked my machine will get stuck at boot after mbinit step.
<end of DEVICES>

KERNEL AND KEXT PATCHES:
The values are too big to write. I have attached the 6 kext patches I am using for making the bluetooth and wifi to work in 10.12.1
Handoff works for iphone calls alone - there is a message about incoming call and I can hangup form desktop if I wanted to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 4.56.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 4.56.21 PM.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 288
  • KernelAndKextPatches.txt
    2 KB · Views: 263
ACPI:
Looks like I had some unnecessary extra stuff in ACPI for drop tables from SSDT. Must have been from my attempts to get sleep on my HD530 (that still does not work). After I removed the drop table entries I no longer have to PatchAPIC in this section.
The lone entry I have more than you is the DSDT Patches section:
CHANGE _OSI to XOSI - 5F4F5349 - 584F5349 (see attached image)
Unsure what purpose this serves, but from the clover configurator "boot log" I can see that its replacing something successfully

You shouldn't drop tables. As for the _OSI to XOSI, I noted on this skylake board I didn't need to do this. Please let me know if this provides benefits over not patching it. I do know that when you use _OSI->XOSI, you also need to include the SSDT that defines XOSI. Otherwise, calls to _OSI cause an APCI abort and it can cause problems.

EHC1 and EHC2 are typically used to identify the two EHCI controllers (USB2). By renaming EHC1 to EH01and EHC2 to EH02, you can disable the built-in Apple port injectors for 10.11+. I do know that with USBInjectAll and my patch this is NOT needed.

Obviously HDAS to HDEF is needed to get audio working.

RT VARIABLES - I am using 0x67 for SIP/CsrActiveConfig, different to what you have.

This controls System Integrity Protection (SIP). csr-active-config 0x0 = SIP Enabled (Default), csr-active-config 0x3 = SIP Partially Disabled (Loads unsigned kexts), and csr-active-config 0x67 = SIP Disabled completely.

It's your choice if you want it partially or completely disabled.

SYSTEM PARAMETERS: Inject Kexts need to be "YES". You have "Detect" - If I use this in my config - nothings gets loaded (wifi, ethernet,.. nothing). I tried putting kext in 10.12, others - irrespective of where kext is, it only gets loaded when this options is "YES" for me.

Actually YES is a probably a better option and for some reason mine switched to Detect. With Inject, Kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ will be injected only if FakeSMC is not present in the kernelcache. So to avoid possible head scratching problems I WOULD keep YES.

DEVICES - I have replaced the original intel that was in the motherboard with BCM94532Z per your guide. However
my WIFI device ID is setup as 0x43BA14E4. Maybe I followed it from this helpful thread "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/bcm94352z-installed-on-asus-z170i-pro-gaming-wifi-and-bt.191274/"

If it works either way that's good to know.
I have used Audio Inject = 7 from your guide, but looks like you use 1. With the value "7" I get sound from the black pin (csub) in the motherboard.

I used to use Audio Inject = 7. Recently AppleALC was updated and deprecated 7 I believe and thats when I went back to 1. Just be aware if you update to the latest AppleALC you may need to use 1.

Also I cannot boot without "FixOwnership" under USB checked. If this is uncheked my machine will get stuck at boot after mbinit step.

That is strange, as I definitely don't need that. Are you using USBInjectAll?

That is strange, as I definitely don't need that. Are you using USBInjectAll?

yes I have USBInjectAll dated 2016-09-07 in my 10.12 folder. Not sure what might be causing this to be needed in my config.

So I got everything working on El Cap with my GTX 760. Currently I don't use the nVidia WEB drivers (though the utility is still installed, I just never bother with it), so I'm assuming that El Cap has out of the box support for the 760. I'm trying to upgrade to Sierra through the app store. It downloaded and restarted properly. When I boot into the installer with default options (nvda_drv=1, but my lack of WEB drivers means I'm not sure what this really does), it hangs up a few lines after "NVDAStartup: Official". A few timeout messages pop up (busy timeout[0], (240s), kextd wait(0) 'X86PlatformPlugin', 'NVDAHal', 'NVDA,Display-A', 'IOHDACodecFunction', 'IOResources'), then "Waiting for DSMOS", and it just sits. The same thing happens if I use nv_disable=1.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Just tried updating my FakeSMC kext but still having the same issue.

Last edited:
El Capitan on the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

My Current BIOS Settings (Version F4)

Did your's ship with F4? For some reason I have F5 which is super odd since that is not even an option to download on their site. I am running revision 1.0 of this board and having the many boot options issue which I can't see to resolve. Hoping to flash but I can't extract the F4 BIOS exe using any go the OS X unarchiving tools :/

Is replacing the wifi/bluetooth absolutely required to make them work on this motherboard?

No, I don't think so. In fact I believe people have gotten the Bluetooth working with the original card. However I don't believe there are Wifi drivers. You could always use a supported USB wifi dongle.

Hi thanks for your work. I have several question.

Should I activate SSD's trim with Trim enabler?

Further, what's the benefice to Update Bootable Drive Prior to Install? I skip this part and the setup went well..

Lastly, I observe that after setup multibeast on when I mount EFI there is no kexts into Clover>kexts file (no fakesmc.kext, no atherosE2200Ethernet.kext, etc) everything run well but I copy them manually as it is on your CLOVER file.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

First post here but long time reader/stalker.

I just build my first Hackintosh using this guide last weekend. Everything is flawless (thanks to the new HD530 fix) however, I just discover a small problem with bluetooth.

I installed this m.2 card : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272204993348?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Wifi is working perfectly (even with iMessage) but my bluetooth devices are not able to connect.

- I can turn on / off the bluetooth
- I can see my bluetooth devices in the list
- I'm not able to pair them. It tries and then nothing

Best regards,
Ben

Hi guys,

First post here but long time reader/stalker.

I just build my first Hackintosh using this guide last weekend. Everything is flawless (thanks to the new HD530 fix) however, I just discover a small problem with bluetooth.

I installed this m.2 card : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272204993348?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Wifi is working perfectly (even with iMessage) but my bluetooth devices are not able to connect.

- I can turn on / off the bluetooth
- I can see my bluetooth devices in the list
- I'm not able to pair them. It tries and then nothing

Best regards,
Ben

Have you plug the antenna. Without them, mine can't find or pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back