Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to update this guide for Sierra when the new NVIDIA drivers are released. For anyone watching this thread, are there any tips or trips for the new OS that you want to add or recommend?

think you got it all covered for El Capitan. Looking forward to your write up on Sierra. it will help users like me that less tech savvy follow through.

think you got it all covered for El Capitan. Looking forward to your write up on Sierra. it will help users like me that less tech savvy follow through.

I will likely write up a full edition after reinstalling from scratch. I'll do this after MultiBeast is released (and after the new NVIDIA Web drivers are released that support Pascal). For the most part the instructions above work for Sierra.

Have you got the sleep to work properly? I cannot seem to get it to work. The following is the pmset -g values:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
powernap 0
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 0
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 180

I do not have NULLCPU in my kext folder or L/S/E.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 9.58.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 9.58.05 PM.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 184
Unfortunately I have found sleep unreliable. Are you in Sierra or El Capitan and are you using integrated GPU or PCI? In Sierra I found sleep to work but deep sleep appears to not wake with iGPU. This is the known HD 530 problem. I found the enable hibernate option does not work. If you have a NVIDIA card sleep should work.

Of note I did find some USB devices cause the hackintosh to reboot on sleep. My Corsair Link hooked into the motherboards USB connect, for example, does this. It is easily disabled using USBInjectAll so if you or anyone has this problem I can post the fix. Once Pascal support is added and/or the HD 530 driver is fixed I will be posting an new guidefor macOS Sierra.

I have this mainboard and a old GTX 460 which is only used to provide a dual monitor setup. however doing non of the stated things in the guide made the graphics work. my GTX had output but I had to boot using nv_disable flag and the graphic quality was a disaster.
I installed the nvidia web drivers and added the flag nvdrv and removed the flag nv_disable but when I restart, after the progress bar is near the end, screen flickers and then goes black.
Has anybody successfully used this setup with an nvidia card?

Do you guys use a specific USB SSDT for your USB ports to work? I have troubles with my ports.. and I'm not able to manually map them cause I don't have any USB-C type adaptor/device. I need some help...

I made a SSDT-USB.aml for this motherboard that should activate ALL the ports. Please let me know if it works. You need to install USBInjectAll.kext of course.

I have this mainboard and a old GTX 460 which is only used to provide a dual monitor setup. however doing non of the stated things in the guide made the graphics work. my GTX had output but I had to boot using nv_disable flag and the graphic quality was a disaster.
I installed the nvidia web drivers and added the flag nvdrv and removed the flag nv_disable but when I restart, after the progress bar is near the end, screen flickers and then goes black.
Has anybody successfully used this setup with an nvidia card?

No, but I would search the thread on the H170N motherboard as it is very similar and any fix should work for this one.

Do I have to get rid of the port limit rise patch afterwards?

Yes you should, but You don't have to but supposedly it is buggy if you run more than 15. With this SSDT you can disable it. And the SSDT handles all the ports within the limit of 15, so I didn't have to disable any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back