Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm begging anyone that has a Z170n-Gaming 5, using the integrated intel 530 GPU and HDMI audio - PLEASE post what you did to get it running, and even better your config.plist! I've been bashing my head against the wall for the better part of a week trying to get this going, and absolutely nothing that I've done has worked! I can get audio out using the above AppleALC.kext, and I went through each layout-ID manually to see if there was a magical one that would get this going via HDMI. The closest I can get are ID 7 (which has analog out working, and optical, and my TV made a popping sound from the speaker on a reboot) and ID 11 (similar to 5 but no popping sound), but no output from HDMI.

I'd really appreciate it!!!!

Last edited:
EUREKA!!!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!! Even though almost nothing I read regarding the i530 GPU mentioned the "UseIntelHDMI" flag for Clover you brought up, I figured what the heck? Tried that with layout-id 7 and BINGO!!!! It's working!! Thanks for the idea man!!!!

Can anyone tell me where/how to disable the Serial Port on this motherboards BIOS?

Can anyone tell me where/how to disable the Serial Port on this motherboards BIOS?

Look in your motherboard manual - If you don't have one you may download one from the Gigabyte website.

The Serial port is usually located in the Peripherals section of the BIOS settings and is sometimes called SuperIO.

This mother board doesn't have any external serial/parallel ports. I didn't have to disable anything.

Anyone have any DSDTs/SSDTs for this board? Any other tips or recommendations?

I'm still having some issues with sleep. Some are the typical HD 530 issues. However some are different: lately when my computer tries to go to sleep it will immediately re-awaken (fans turn on) and then reboot. I cannot find kernel panic or other cause in the system logs. I do know that HaltEnabler flag appears to stop the restarting, however sleep is still busted.

Was anyone able to get the USB 3.1 ports to work?

Was anyone able to get the USB 3.1 ports to work?

Good news, the USB 3.1 ports works under macOS Sierra, not sure about El Capitan. I only tested the red one. I believe the type C also supports 3.1, but did not test it. Also I updated by guide above to include a SSDT I made which fixes all the ports, both in El Capitan and Sierra.

Music to my ears!! Thank you for the update and making the SSDT. Is it safe (everything works) to upgrade to Sierra? Did you just download the golden master and install it?

Yes everything works, except there are some hoops to get the Wifi card I have working. If you have the same card I'd wait a few weeks for a guide to show up here (maybe I'll write one, using the guide on InsanelyMac as a base).

There is also an issue with the integrated HD 530 having artifact in the top left corner. It's accelerated out of the box without a patch however. Not an issue if you have PCI graphics card of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back