Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ZBOX-1070K
CPU
Intel i5-7500K
Graphics
NVDIA GTX 1070
El Capitan on the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5

20151221184429_big.png

________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT HISTORY
23OCT - Switched location of kexts to /EFI/Clover

BACKGROUND

My Configuration:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (and other compatible Intel Skylake processors)
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (and other compatible CPU Coolers)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (and other compatible DD4 memory)
  • Wireless: Broadcom (BCM94352Z) M.2 WiFi/Bluetooth Card (replacing original Intel M.2 card)
  • Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card (and other compatible NVIDIA Pascal video cards)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive; Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5” Solid State Drive (and other compatible SATA drives)
  • Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Suppl
  • Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case

Working:
  • HD 530 iGPU
  • Audio (with AppleALC)
  • USB3 ports (with SSDT-1.aml)
  • Processor (with SSDT.aml)
  • Wireless (with OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID)
  • Ethernet (with AtherosE2200Ethernet)
  • Bluetooth (with OS-X-BrcmPatchRam)
  • Memory
  • iMessage/Handoff (with standard iMessage instructions and Clover edits found in other guides)

Not working:
  • Sleep (HD 530 bug)
My Current BIOS Settings (Version F4):
  • Press DEL during boot to access BIOS
  • BIOS Features
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • Peripherals:
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (if graphics card installed) or IGFX (otherwise)
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled

My Current Clover Configuration (will post config when perfected):
  • ACPI: Series 100 board fix (Rename HDAS to HDEF)
  • Devices: Audio->Inject 1 (AppleALC)
  • Graphics: Intel HD 530 injection (ig-platform-id=0x19120000 and Inject Intel, done by MultiBeast)
  • Kernel and Kext Patches
    • AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer fix for Intel HD 530 series
  • Rt Variables: MLB and UseMacAddr0 (to fix iMessage)
  • SMBIOS: Using iMac17,1 although I'm sure others work
My Current Add-on Kexts (all in EFI/CLOVER/kexts):
  • AppleALC.kext
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
  • CodecCommander.kext
  • FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
  • FakePCIID.kext
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
________________________________________________________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS

Downloads:
Create Bootable Drive (Follow UniBeast Instructions):
  • On an El Capitan or newer system:
    • Click on the Erase button in the toolbar
    • For Name: enter Installer
    • Make sure Format is set to OS X Extended (Journaled)
    • Make sure Scheme is set to GUID Partition Map
    • Hit Erase. When it finishes, close Disk Utility.
  • Run UniBeast
    • Hit Continue on the main screen, Continue on the UniBeast+MultiBeast screen, Continue on the Clover Credits screen, Continue on the Software License Agreement screen, and agree to the license
    • Select your newly formatted USB drive (so it turns blue) on the Select a Destination screen and hit Continue
    • Select El Capitan (so it turns blue) and hit Continue
    • Select UEFI Boot Mode (so it turns blue) and hit Continue
    • Select appropriate graphics options (nothing checked for the GT740 or onboard HD530 graphics) and hit Continue
  • On the Verify Installation Options screen, hit Continue
  • Enter you password when prompted and wait
  • When the install finishes, hit Quit
Update Bootable Drive Prior to Install:
  • Load EFI of bootable drive if not already loaded (EFI Mounter)
  • Update Clover from package (optional, but I did it)
  • Add Kexts to 10.11 folder (for some reason I had to add on AtherosE2200Ethernet, FakeSMC, and USBInjectAll to prevent a installer hang, although in past I didn't have to change anything after Unibeast drive creation)
  • Add ‘Post Install’ Folder to Bootable Drive and add on Downloaded apps and kexts, from above
Install El Capitan
  • Restart machine with USB drive inserted (I used the motherboard USB3 ports)
  • Enter boot select (F12) or enter the BIOS. Select the UEFI entry that correlates with your USB drive and present enter or exit the BIOS.
  • Clover should load and you should select 'Boot Mac OS X from Installer'
  • You should make it to the installer after a few minutes. If it freezes on the loading bar, you may need to add the Kexts I mentioned above into the 10.11 folder of the USB drive.
  • If you have an empty drive you can proceed through the prompts as directed. If you do not, you can select 'Utilities->Disk Utility" from the menu above. From here you can erase and reformat a new OS X Extended (Journaled) with a GUID Partition Map.
  • After installation is complete, the system will reboot. At the Clover menu should should see a new boot option. Be sure to select 'Boot Mac OS X from ________' where ________ is the name of your hard drive.
  • This should proceed to the standard Welcome menu and account setup. Continue until you get to the desktop.
Post-Install
  • Navigate to your USB disk on the Mac. Copy the 'Post Install' folder to the desktop
  • You need to install the Clover boot loader to your new drive. You can either double click and run the Clover installer you previously downloaded, or use Multibeast.
    • Click Drivers on the top bar
      • Click Audio
        • Select 100 Series Audio (don't click ALC1150, which does work, but for which I will use AppleALC below)
      • Click Misc and select FakeSMC.
        • Click FakeSMC Plugins and FakeSMC HWMonitor if you want these optional features to monitor your hardware
      • Click Network and select AtherosE22000Ethernet (the latest version)
    • Click Bootloaders on the top bar
      • Select Clover version with UEFI Boot Mode
    • Click Customize on top bar
      • Click 'Graphics Configuration' and select 'Intel HD 530'
      • Click 'System Definitions' and select iMac 17,1 (this is what I chose, but I'm sure other definitions works well)
    • Click Build, then Install. If for some reason this fails, you may need to manually load your EFI partition by running 'EFI loader'
Installing AppleALC
  • From your 'Post Install' folder, transfer the AppleALC.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
  • Open 'Clover Configurator.' If your EFI is not mounted it will prompt you to load it. Do so.
  • Click the 'Home' button and then load the config.plist found in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER by clicking on it
  • Select Devices, then change Audio Inject number to 1.
  • Save config and restart
  • Run 'KextBeast' to rebuild the kext cache.
Installing Wifi/Bluetooth (Broadcom BCM94352Z)
  • From your 'Post Install' folder, transfer BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, and FakePCIID.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
  • Run 'KextBeast' to rebuild the kext cache.
NVIDIA Drivers
  • If using an Nvidia card that's not supported out of the box, install the Nvidia Web drivers. While that installation runs (before restarting at the end):
  • Open Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition, and select EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.
  • Go to the Boot screen and uncheck the box for nv_disable=1 on the Boot screen and then check the box for nvda_drv=1
  • File / Save and then Quit Clover Configurator
  • After the Nvidia Web drivers installer finishes, restart. After that you should get full graphics acceleration.
Power Saver
Fixing USB Ports
  • Install USBInjectAll into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
  • Install the following SSDT-1.aml file into your patched SSDT folder at /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. The previous processor SSDT should be named SSDT.aml and in the folder, as per the instructions above.
  • USB3 and USB2 ports should work (did not test type C port)
  • USB3.1 port (red) works, but only tested in macOS Sierra

FIXES

No Sound
  • Under System Preferences / Sound select output. If you see proper outputs, your AppleALC kext is working.
  • 'Internal Speakers' refers to the Green output, The first 'Line Out' is the Orange (c/sub) output and second 'Line Out' is the Black (rear) output.
Fix Static/Distorted Audio from Green Audio Port after Restarting from Windows 10
  • Install CodecCommander.kext
Fix iMessage
  • see How to Fix iMessage.
  • Leave Clover Configurator on the SMBIOS screen. Open Terminal.app and run "uuidgen". Paste the output in the SmUUID field in Clover Configurator (next to the Serial Number).
  • Copy the value in the Serial Number field
  • Go to the RtVariables screen on the left
  • Paste your serial number into the MLB field, and then:
  • For an Nvidia graphics / MacPro3,1 configuration, add 2 random characters or digits to the end, to make 13 characters total.
  • For an integrated graphics / iMac17,1 configuration, add 5 random characters or digits to the end, to make 17 characters total.
  • Enter a value for the ROM field. If you will use an Ethernet port on the machine, you can select "UseMacAddr0" from the drop-down. Otherwise, enter 12 random hexadecimal digits.
  • File/Save config.plist and Quit Clover Configurator.
Fix Shutdown (if shutdown automatically causes computer to reboot due to plugged in USB devices)
  • Open Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition, and select EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.
  • Go to the Acpi screen and check the box for FixShutdown under Fixes.
  • File / Save and then Quit Clover Configurator

Attachments

• SSDT-1.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 2,288
  • CLOVER.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 889
  • config.plist
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
any luck finishing this to completion? I have this board, still having some difficulties getting graphics to work

Guide partially written, but I may just convert it to a full macOS Sierra step-by-step guide. I wanted to get other people who have this board to add on any tips.

What graphics card are you trying to get working? If you are trying to get the integrated HD 530 graphics working, I can give you step-by-step instructions. If you instead have an NVIDIA card I can also give you instructions, but currently I don't have an NVIDIA card to test so it may be more trial and error.

VanillaIcee,
You need to finish this guide for El Capitan, first. TIA.

If anyone has a functioning GA-Z170n-Gaming 5 build using the integrated 530 and HDMI Audio, please post up your config.plist! This is the only thing I need to get functioning and I can't seem to get it. :(

If anyone has a functioning GA-Z170n-Gaming 5 build using the integrated 530 and HDMI Audio, please post up your config.plist! This is the only thing I need to get functioning and I can't seem to get it. :(

Did you try 'Optional HD 3000/HD 4000/HD 530 HDMI Audio' in MultiBeast. Are you running AppleALC or a patched AppleHDA with the realtekALC.kext add-on?

Did you try 'Optional HD 3000/HD 4000/HD 530 HDMI Audio' in MultiBeast. Are you running AppleALC or a patched AppleHDA with the realtekALC.kext add-on?
I did all of that and nothing. Then I removed what I could find of the changes made and tried running Toleda's script. Nothing. I posted all of the config files in the thread and he looked at it telling me to take 1 section out of the config.plist, and when I would do that all I go into is a boot loop where the iGPU doesn't seem to initialize. So looking at someone's config.plist, with a similar config to mine, should prove rather helpful in trying to find out what's going on.

I did all of that and nothing. Then I removed what I could find of the changes made and tried running Toleda's script. Nothing. I posted all of the config files in the thread and he looked at it telling me to take 1 section out of the config.plist, and when I would do that all I go into is a boot loop where the iGPU doesn't seem to initialize. So looking at someone's config.plist, with a similar config to mine, should prove rather helpful in trying to find out what's going on.

Ok, my advice to you is start from scratch. Follow toleda's instructions for replacing your patched AppleHDA.kext with the original and removing all the files his script/MultiBeast installs (realtekALC.kekt, etc). Then I would add on the 100 series patch to your config (i.e. Rename HDAS to HDEF patch under DSDT in config.plist) and the inject HD 530 patch from MultiBeast (i.e. setting ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 in config.plist). Now you have the choice of using toleda's scripts or using AppleALC. Since you haven't gotten it working the other way, I would try AppleALC.

Install AppleALC.kext into /Library/Extensions with KextBeast. Adjust the Audio inject under Device in config.plist to 11 (which I believe is the equivalent of 3 for using HDMI audio). See if that works after a restart and adjusting the Sound preference pane. If it doesn't work I would consider clicking on UseIntelHDMI under Devices, but that may only work with older HD sets and not the HD 530.

I've been down this road too... I see output options now in the Sound Preferences panel, but no HDMI output, only digital out via optical.

I've been down this road too... I see output options now in the Sound Preferences panel, but no HDMI output, only digital out via optical.

Even with Inject 11? Sigh. I'll be able to help you when pascal drivers are up. I would check out fixes in Z170N-WIFI thread that may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back