Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yeah...I've got it installed on my box. I need to post my notes one of these days. I have ADD bad...and forget to do things. Sorry. :crazy:
What does ADD mean?
Great! I'm looking forward for your post, if you can poke me I would be grateful

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z70N Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
nvidia GTX960 Mini-ITX
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
What does ADD mean?
Great! I'm looking forward for your post, if you can poke me I would be grateful
Attention Deficit Disorder. Had it since I was a kid. Pretty much means I get distracted VERY easily and it’s hard for me to stay on task.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z70N Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K @ 4Ghz
Graphics
nvidia GTX960 Mini-ITX
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay! I'm still interested in following your tutorial.
I checked your list and we have almost the same components, here the difference:
  • same brand graphics card, just not the same model
  • I have a 6600 instead of a 6700k
  • 32 Go instead of 16 but with the same RAM model
  • I use a NVMe SSD instead of classic SSD
other components don't matter I think.

Best,
Brandon
Yeah, I still need to post more information. Been overwhelmed recently.
I would LOVE to have more RAM...but I tried to keep the budget around $1K when I built this thing.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yeah, I still need to post more information. Been overwhelmed recently.
I would LOVE to have more RAM...but I tried to keep the budget around $1K when I built this thing.
Hi Bill,

I'm still waiting for your news :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 560 4GB
Hopefully someone can answer this question. Last person to post here has been a while. What does the SSDT-1 actually do for USB fix?

Motherboard
GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hope everyone is staying safe, practicing good hygiene and keeping good health!

I know this thread is very old and dont mean to bump it as most of you are already in Catalina by now. This post is for the ones with the Gigabyte system as listed in my profile but adventourous enough to try opencore instead of clover. I dont have an opinion yet based on less than 30 days of use, but it seems to be working as good as clover. so pick your poison.

First backup your working system and EFI - means atleast 3 copies. Dont blame me if your machine does not boot with my config, but I have this exact board with AMD graphics as primary (refer to my profile).
Migration is as simple as dropping the attachment in your EFI after updating the following 4 parameters in the config.plist under OC directory/folder:
Root > PlatformInfo > Generic section keys (propertree editor illustration shown below for the required parameters)
MLB
ROM
SmUUID
SystemSerialNumber
Screen Shot-01.png

You will need the above values either from your current 'clover' machine via SystemInformation > Hardware section or clover configurator or generate new one using GenSMBIOS

Good Luck!!

Attachments