Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Motherboard
GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 is working perfectly with HS. The only thing I'm not able to enable is Handoff.

Regards,
Ben
yes HS works. I have since upgraded to nvme drive (in sierra using rehabman nvme patch). But now its natively supported in HS. Stuck with HFS+ for now as more people are reporting boot delays with APFS.

Handoff worked in El Capitan itself. You did replace the wifi/bluetooth chip - correct?
Initially when I got it to work I remember I had to sign-out of icloud in preference and sign back in.

Motherboard
GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
I5-6600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @VanillaIcee !

Thanks a lot for this tutorial! It's one of the best one I've read! I sadly have a H270N-Wifi instead of you H170 one... And I have a problem to get my USB port alimentation working properly. I wondered if you could explain me how to generate the same SSDT you did for your Mobo? For the USB ports... Is it with the ssddtPRGen.sh from Piker-Alpha?! :)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!
You might have to use a different profile all together - 17.2 IIRC. Have you looked in Z270 threads?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Is there a tutorial for the very last version of Sierra?
Same question for High Sierra 10.13.1

BreBo

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
@Babyfasty, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i5-6500
Graphics
Onboard HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Anyone have this board working with:
-integrated-only
-latest security patch

I lost my graphics after the update (no external graphics card installed, onboard only).
I have latest Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup, no change.

edit: update - got it working with new Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup kexts, but they would NOT work when installed in Clover's kext directory, had to drop them in /Library/Extensions. Of note, until I removed the ALC kext, the box was panicing on boot as well.

edit2: still open to suggestions on optimal HD530 gfx and audio options for this board! Seems like this guide differs a bit from what I had.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'll try soon to go through Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra. I'm currently on 10.12.1, any tips or recommendations are most welcome

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, please help me
I restart the subject, I tried several installations, but I am blocked, the very first time after the Apple update, it refused to start, and now after reinstall, I can not get to the connection with Apple store or navigation with Safari, my other problems, impossible to have the monitor resolutions, the sound, the graphics card worked the 1st time, but I was forced to remove it otherwise the installation fails. I understand that this is a problem of plist, but I can not find the right parameters.
here is my current configuration:
Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 - 16 GB RAM Ballistix - Proc. Intel core i5 6600 3,50Ghz - Graphic card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970.
Can someone help me refine the correct settings of the plist and the good kexts, do you need other details ?
Thanks

BreBo

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
@Maxem, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.