Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, here the first issue I met since I setup the SSD m2 NVMe.

#Issue introduction

I’m facing an issue on my Samsung 960 evo 500go which is a SSD m2 NVMe. When I shutdown (apple menu > shutdown) the hack is blocked at the black screen and it doesn’t shutdown. I must do a hard reboot but at this point, the hack will boot twice. First launch I can see clover and the Apple logo, but no lock screen the hack reboots and at the second launch the hack boots correctly. Sometime the hack shutdown properly but I can’t identify the reason of that.

#How I setup the SSD m2

While I was on my SATA SSD I patched my config.plist allowing to detect the SSD m2 by PCIexpress. I followed the pikeralpha’s method. This method involves to copy and paste some raw. All the details : https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/20...t-bin-patch-data/comment-page-1/#comment-5865 (this is the recommended method)
Then I rebooted. My new SSD m2 appeared so I decided to transfer all the system to this one thanks to SuperDuper by cloning the SSD (I didn’t forget to move the EFI part).

#My investigation

Here some checks and facts I’ve made to set the scope of this issue.
-This shutdown issue doesn’t happen on SSD classic SATA
-Issue can’t come from other hard drives, I disconnected them
-In CloverConfigurator, FixShutdown is checked

#My hardware configuration

Pretty the same as DeliciousPickle, my mobo is the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5.
And the SSD m2 NVMe PCIexpress is the Samsung 960 evo
I run on MacOS 10.12.1

Thanks for your help

Hi, here the first issue I met since I setup the SSD m2 NVMe.

#Issue introduction

I’m facing an issue on my Samsung 960 evo 500go which is a SSD m2 NVMe. When I shutdown (apple menu > shutdown) the hack is blocked at the black screen and it doesn’t shutdown. I must do a hard reboot but at this point, the hack will boot twice. First launch I can see clover and the Apple logo, but no lock screen the hack reboots and at the second launch the hack boots correctly. Sometime the hack shutdown properly but I can’t identify the reason of that.

#How I setup the SSD m2

While I was on my SATA SSD I patched my config.plist allowing to detect the SSD m2 by PCIexpress. I followed the pikeralpha’s method. This method involves to copy and paste some raw. All the details : https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/20...t-bin-patch-data/comment-page-1/#comment-5865 (this is the recommended method)
Then I rebooted. My new SSD m2 appeared so I decided to transfer all the system to this one thanks to SuperDuper by cloning the SSD (I didn’t forget to move the EFI part).

#My investigation

Here some checks and facts I’ve made to set the scope of this issue.
-This shutdown issue doesn’t happen on SSD classic SATA
-Issue can’t come from other hard drives, I disconnected them
-In CloverConfigurator, FixShutdown is checked

#My hardware configuration

Pretty the same as DeliciousPickle, my mobo is the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5.
And the SSD m2 NVMe PCIexpress is the Samsung 960 evo
I run on MacOS 10.12.1

Thanks for your help
I was exploring nvme drives and remember seeing something specific to be done for 960 evo version. some additional spoofing about device ID. but dropped it as I did not see the value with these and the headache overhead. So I did not bookmark, but I am pretty sure its already covered by rehabman. You might have to do some research.....

found it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

have you tried the procedure in the "Special injections required for 10.11.x and Samsung 960 EVO (or other 144d:a804 NVMe device)" section?

I was exploring nvme drives and remember seeing something specific to be done for 960 evo version. some additional spoofing about device ID. but dropped it as I did not see the value with these and the headache overhead. So I did not bookmark, but I am pretty sure its already covered by rehabman. You might have to do some research.....

found it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

have you tried the procedure in the "Special injections required for 10.11.x and Samsung 960 EVO (or other 144d:a804 NVMe device)" section?
Hi AvidRacer,

I observed longer this issue and it seems that it's a limited issue, here what I founded. When the hack boot and I quickly shut it down, this issue happens. But If I wait for 5 min at least before shutting down, the hack do it well.

This product is very well but people have to note that on ITX mobo, the PCIE connector is on the back of it. It involves no aeration for it so you may see the temperature increases.

Anyone able to get this set up to work with Rx 480 8GB?

Update the built in 10.12.4 (16E195).

Everything is working. Updated the clover partition before the update.

Update the built in 10.12.4 (16E195).

Everything is working. Updated the clover partition before the update.

I concur. But there is more, great news finally....
Power management (sleep/wake) works finally. Also the patch for intel top left-hand corner flicker (in Devices section) is no longer needed. I have removed even the intel inject box in the graphics section and no issues thus far. But its been only 4 hours since this change, so need to use it more hours to confirm whether the intel inject is needed or not.

Is there anyone who can't install jDownloader on this hack? I got an error (even after re-install)
http://jdownloader.org

I have this same setup and i got everything working except the Wifi big thanks to VanillaIcee for the writeup. Just curious if anyone got the intel Wifi card working, as i cannot find the Broadcom (BCM94352Z) mini card M.2 anywhere. Thanks in advance.

I have this same setup and i got everything working except the Wifi big thanks to VanillaIcee for the writeup. Just curious if anyone got the intel Wifi card working, as i cannot find the Broadcom (BCM94352Z) mini card M.2 anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Try checking eBay or NewEgg.com. There seems to be plenty sold there.

My USB 3.1 ports (type A and type C) works but their speeds are extremely slow. Is anyone here able to get theirs to work? Any suggestions on how I could troubleshoot this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back