Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on Acer S3-391 Ivy Bridge with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOW TO DUAL BOOT YOUR ACER S3 ON DIFFERENT DISKS: Windows 10 (HDD, 1TB) + HIGH SIERRA (mSATA SSD, 128 GB)

I have a 240 GB SSD with High Sierra, and an internal 1 TB HDD as data disk.

I have made a backup of my HDD, so I have installed Windows 10 again (it asked me to format the disk again) into it. I want my MacOS to be fast, I don't need my Windows running so fast, so I want them to be in different disks. Besides, I don't have enough room for both into the mSATA 128GB SSD Sandisk.

Once I have installed, and booted from my new Windows 10, this is what I've done:

1- From Windows, create a Live Linux USB: in my case, I created a 16.04 Ubuntu one from an ISO, using Lili (a Windows app).
2- Boot from it (you can go into the BIOS pressing F2 and set the order to boot from your USB stick). Ubuntu 16.04 has efi boot option, if you have disabled secure boot, of course (to disable secure boot, you must first set a supervisor password). You need to boot in EFI mode, not in MBR old mode. So, be sure you have set UEFI Boot Mode, Disabled Secure Boot, and your USB stick is the 1st in your boot priority order list.
3- Once there, from Ubuntu, open a Terminal and type:
a) sudo fdisk -l to see where the efi partition is. In my case, it's /dev/sdb1
b) sudo modprobe efivars to enable the module efivars.
c) sudo efibootmgr -v to see what you have in the efiboot. You'll see your Ubuntu USB and your Windows Boot Manager.
d) sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sdb -p 1 -L "Clover" -l "\efi\boot\bootx64.efi" to add Clover as an option to be able to boot from it. Look at /dev/sdb and -p 1, if you don't have your efi partition in /dev/sdb1, you must change that accordingly.
e) sudo efibootmgr -v to see what you have in the efiboot in this very moment. Look at the order of the boot entries.
f) If Clover is not the first one, let's move our entry as the first one to boot: efibootmgr -000X (000X are the 4-digits of your Clover entry, in my case it was 0003).
g) Now reboot and Clover will boot. If this doesn't happen, remember, you can boot pressing F12 and you'll see the UEFI Boot Manager of your Acer S3: select Clover and that's all. Note: I'm supposing in your BIOS you have the option "F12 Boot Menu" under "Main" section defined as Enabled.

That's all :)

Last edited:
Hi again. I succesfully installed high sierra. Can you share your DSDT and config.plis file. I will compare with mine. Thank you
Edit:
I found this kind of solution for bluetooth. I didn't apply, but if you take a look at it /index.php?/topic/10127-updated-nov-2017-fix-btfirmwareuploader-in-macos-high-sierra/, @skyfly555

Last edited:
Hi again. I succesfully installed high sierra. Can you share your DSDT and config.plis file. I will compare with mine. Thank you
Edit:
I found this kind of solution for bluetooth. I didn't apply, but if you take a look at it /index.php?/topic/10127-updated-nov-2017-fix-btfirmwareuploader-in-macos-high-sierra/, @skyfly555
Hello! I've just read you. Using the same I've posted before in this thread.

Edit:

Answer to your edit: I've read the BT solution, I found other posts stating similar things before, too, but I'm not using BT so I'm not trying to do that. Besides, I feel that's too much work! You can buy a BT USB dongle, there are some that work with High Sierra, and they will work better than an Ubuntu Virtual Machine solution for sure.

Answer to your edit: I've read the BT solution, I found other posts stating similar things before, too, but I'm not using BT so I'm not trying to do that. Besides, I feel that's too much work! You can buy a BT USB dongle, there are some that work with High Sierra, and they will work better than an Ubuntu Virtual Machine solution for sure.
Hi again it's been a long time :) did you succeed in running wifi on OSX mojave? And any update for bluetooth?

Hi I installed Mojave Succesfully. Everythings works like a charm. (Wifi, blueetooth, Screen Brightness, Touchpad, Camera, Sleep function, Audio. Nothing that doesn't work. Mojave on this computer works better than every version ever. For wifi; https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/ath9kfixup/downloads/
bluetooth; native supported you don't have to do anything
Audio: AppleALC method
DSDT and SSDT; you have to patch your own.
Camera: USBInjectAll.kext to S/L/E
Backlight Fix: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/applebacklightfixup/downloads/
Graphics: use HD4000 Config file.
SM Bios: Macbook Air 5,2
For touchpad: use smart touchpad driver. Google it
İf you have any question, feel free to ask. This computer is really good for hackintosh. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 19.32.16.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 19.32.16.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 19.33.16.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 19.33.16.png
    863.1 KB · Views: 209
Thank you Rehabman for your research. The answers are right on.
I had the same issue. Some SSDT was truncated in a 32-bit table.
Is this a result of C++ coding?

Very strange. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra and Mojave this issue arose.

I'm not quite sure what has caused it. I used all .dsl to create ssdts' as suggested
for the various needs to inject.

I would like to know what exactly is happening and why.

I've read through all your work and it is fantastic. I thank you.
Ken

Next question.

I ended having 6 SSDT's 1-6 all having to do with CpuPM, CpuCst, Power States and Control states
originally I had 4 + SSDT.aml.
Then upgrading to High Sierra ended up with 6 + SSDT.aml

So which ones do I really need?

PSS, PSC, CST with alias, CST with no alias, A CPU0

Order don't even understand Sorted Order for these.

Power states something, Power State Control, C-states, C-states alias,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back