Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Can you add another HDD to your laptop? This would be preferred.
Is your Win8 installed legacy BIOS or UEFI?
If legacy BIOS, you would have to reformat the HDD and re-install.
If UEFI BIOS, then you could possibly install OS X, but you would have to use Clover or other boot loader that recognizes the EFI partition where the Win8 boot files are located. You would not be able to use Chimera/Chameleon.

I have the Asus S400CA.
1. No not possible to add another HDD:
2. It is definitely UEFI;
3. Yes, at least this confirms it - Clover is the way to go;

i am following this great thread [http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...stallation-asus-vivobook-s200-x202-s400.html]

I am interested for another desktop setup that has no UEFI.
I have read else Clover tricks OSX to think there is a UEFI environment for a legacy board.
Currently I have Lion 10.7.4 running on Asrock - and it does not support ML onwards.
Is it possible to use Clover so I can have mountain lion?

Thanks for the guide! I plan on installing Windows 7 first and then MacOSX second or is it reccommended to install MacOS first?

Thanks for the guide! I plan on installing Windows 7 first and then MacOSX second or is it reccommended to install MacOS first?

Read post #1.

So is this just for PC people who wants OSX or the other way around?

Running a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro. Mountain Lion

I got a MBP and this osx is driving me crazy. Simply following yours and everyone's guide how to, starting with bootcamp and all that.

There is two different endings to this story.

The one usb stick I have containing WIN8 is booting up like a dream, starting the install like it was born to do this. All the way to when you select drive. Obviously the fourth disk is in the wrong format. Easy, just pressing Format and usally this is where things would keep going. But no.
I still get the same message that windows cant install on this disk.

And yes, I tried formating to NTFS in Disk Utility with help from 'NTFS for Mac OS X' and then booting up. Same problem.

On the other side I have different versions of WIN7 on three different USBdrives that wont boot at all. The mac just wont find a bootable device. And Mac and Recovery is the only options I get up in boot options.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks guys

So is this just for PC people who wants OSX or the other way around?

This is for PCs booting OS X and Windows. Not for real Macs.

Running a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro. Mountain Lion

Real Apple products use bootcamp and Apple's guide. This site is not for real Apple product.

Anyone try changing the Boot Code in the GPT on here. Been trying to figure out dual/triple booting here is a link to my posts for linux --> http://www.tonymacx86.com/linux/103374-dual-boot-macosx-linux.html#post665255

You might look at my blog for more complex boot scenarios (link in signature).

The trick with Linux being recognized by Chimera is that you must install the Linux bootloader (GRUB/GRUB2) to a partition, not to the disk (example /dev/sda2, not /dev/sda). It is covered in my blog article... search for "IMPORTANT!"

Read post #1.

Actually I had. :crazy:

Anyway, do the guides here at tonymac tell you the process of booting in Mac or Windows? I assume it has something to do with setting up one OS as predominant, enable dual booting on it, then when starting the computer making a selection possibly similar to dual booting in bootcamp on Mac? In my defense I did not see this in the guide. Thanks! :)

Actually I had. :crazy:

Then re-read it. Installation order is covered in post #1.

Anyway, do the guides here at tonymac tell you the process of booting in Mac or Windows? I assume it has something to do with setting up one OS as predominant, enable dual booting on it, then when starting the computer making a selection possibly similar to dual booting in bootcamp on Mac? In my defense I did not see this in the guide. Thanks! :)

You choose what you want to boot via the Chimera boot screen. It will be obvious.

You might look at my blog for more complex boot scenarios (link in signature).

The trick with Linux being recognized by Chimera is that you must install the Linux bootloader (GRUB/GRUB2) to a partition, not to the disk (example /dev/sda2, not /dev/sda). It is covered in my blog article... search for "IMPORTANT!"

I will try to do that again, I have installed grub to multiple different partitions such as

/dev/sda3 also the boot loader was in the efi drive that osx created, and in the disk /dev/sda

I must be doing something wrong but I do know that chimera/chameleon will pick up a ntsf drive or fat32/16 drive with nothing in them. just a fresh partion and they are seen...

Back