Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

[Guide] Mountain Lion and Windows 8

I dont make a screenshot of terminal command, i do that step, i copied the /sbin/gptsync to /dev/sda and i think that this has been cleaned my hdd, im trying to list back the partition with gparted but i think that it will take like 12 hours to try to recover. :(

I dont make a screenshot of terminal command, i do that step, i copied the /sbin/gptsync to /dev/sda and i think that this has been cleaned my hdd, im trying to list back the partition with gparted but i think that it will take like 12 hours to try to recover. :(

So, you say you copied it, but did you run it? And you don't copy it to /dev/sda, you copy it to the cdrom (which is the USB).

Double check your work...

Yep. my cdrom is the dvd not the USB, you have specified there that we need to use USB with Windows, so i have the Original DVD.

But...
Now go back to the Terminal window that you launched earlier, and type the following:
sudo /cdrom/gptsync /dev/sda
(note: /dev/sda is the target drive) ? what do this step ?

Anyway, i will post later a pictures with all partitions and maybe we can recover the Local Disk and ML partition because i have all my work there :D.

I remember that i have no passed trough that steps before, i remember that i have created as fat and then formatted as NTFS with the Windows Installation DVD.

Thanks​

Yep. my cdrom is the dvd not the USB, you have specified there that we need to use USB with Windows, so i have the Original DVD.

?

But...
Now go back to the Terminal window that you launched earlier, and type the following:
sudo /cdrom/gptsync /dev/sda
(note: /dev/sda is the target drive) ? what do this step ?​

This creates the MBR from GPT to form a hybrid MBR/GPT partition scheme. That way Windows sees MBR and OS X sees GPT. This is how bootcamp works on real Apple hardware.

Anyway, i will post later a pictures with all partitions and maybe we can recover the Local Disk and ML partition because i have all my work there :D.

I remember that i have no passed trough that steps before, i remember that i have created as fat and then formatted as NTFS with the Windows Installation DVD.

Not so sure what you did to damage that partition so recovery is probably not a possibility. I believe in backup/restore, not recovery.​

Im trying to recreate the partition table with TestDisk

Im trying to recreate the partition table with TestDisk

No luck to recover HFS+ partition, i have recovered the Local Disk with the entire data, but not the HFS+ where was installed ML. :banghead:

Doing a fresh install now, dont know if is there a solution to recover the files from the partition where was installed "ML".

awesome write up! I know this guide will help plenty of people, i wanted to add my own 2 cents though. I'm dual booting osx and windows 8 from two different hard drives. I was having that pesky time issue when i would boot back into windows 8. here is a little guide that can help out with that.

http://prasys.info/2010/01/fixing-time-sync-issue-with-osxwindows/

I went for the 2nd option of installing Win 8 and OSX on the same drive and can confirm that it works without a hiccup. Installed OSX first, then Windows 8. Booted OSX with a UniBeast USB drive to install Chimera as it was overwritten by Win 8 and happy days. Thanks for the guide!

Can you guys please assist with dual boot for systems with pre existing Windows 8?

I bought my laptop new preinstalled with Windows 8 and I do not plan to dispose of it since I use Win programs regularly and its like US$120 worth here in Manila.

I could look into Cloverboot but I would prefer Chimera since I have that working in another desktop.

Can you guys please assist with dual boot for systems with pre existing Windows 8?

I bought my laptop new preinstalled with Windows 8 and I do not plan to dispose of it since I use Win programs regularly and its like US$120 worth here in Manila.

I could look into Cloverboot but I would prefer Chimera since I have that working in another desktop.
Can you add another HDD to your laptop? This would be preferred.
Is your Win8 installed legacy BIOS or UEFI?
If legacy BIOS, you would have to reformat the HDD and re-install.
If UEFI BIOS, then you could possibly install OS X, but you would have to use Clover or other boot loader that recognizes the EFI partition where the Win8 boot files are located. You would not be able to use Chimera/Chameleon.

Back