Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

My HDD is now GPT and I createed 3 partitions. one for OS X , 150 GB JURNALATED, one for windows, 150GB NTFS, and one as data, 200GB exFAT which I want to be shared between them. When I install win 10, I format data drive as NTFS, and there is no issue. When I go to OSX I can open the data drive. after that, when I go to windows again, I cant see data drive,
I used disk management to create data drive again, but when I wanted to format data drive, all my drives color became yellow and I lost mac drive. When I want to go to mac, I cannot. I have to format all my drives to install osx again.
how should I use a drive as share between both OSes?
Are any of your shared files larger than 2GB? If not use FAT32 for your shared partition. ExFAT is notorious for file corruption when used by multiple OSs. If larger, use the file format of the OS you use most often.

They are almost larger. I have formated the shared drive as NTFS but when I go to windows disk management to create or format the partition, it seems that windows tries to change GPT to MBR.
I say this because when I want to go to osx with CLOVER USB, there is no partition except windows partition and when I try to install osx again, there is no selectable drive and I have to format my HDD again

They are almost larger. I have formated the shared drive as NTFS but when I go to windows disk management to create or format the partition, it seems that windows tries to change GPT to MBR.
I say this because when I want to go to osx with CLOVER USB, there is no partition except windows partition and when I try to install osx again, there is no selectable drive and I have to format my HDD again
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

Okay. Thanks. I did a Snow Leopard install on a clean drive. One suggestion. When cleaning an existing drive, use the erase function with the writing zeroes to drive option (I can't remember what this is called, but it completely wipes the drive even after formatting it.) Does this method work in that situation or do I need to something else? As I get more adventuresome, and get the Boot0 error fixed, I hope to also install Linux Mint 18 on the same HDD on OSx.

After I have installed Windows 7 on my separate SSD when i try to boot it up with only the Windows 7 SSD connected it tells me a disk error has occurred and freezes on me. Is there anything that I could do to remedy this problem?? I followed the steps given and still no luck. I have tried installing Windows first, then switching the SSD and installing OS X Sierra and still the same results. Sierra works fine but not windows. Please help

My Build:
Gigabyte Z-170X Designare
2 Crucial 256gb SSD
i7 6700k
16gb DDR4 Ram

After I have installed Windows 7 on my separate SSD when i try to boot it up with only the Windows 7 SSD connected it tells me a disk error has occurred and freezes on me. Is there anything that I could do to remedy this problem?? I followed the steps given and still no luck. I have tried installing Windows first, then switching the SSD and installing OS X Sierra and still the same results. Sierra works fine but not windows. Please help

My Build:
Gigabyte Z-170X Designare
2 Crucial 256gb SSD
i7 6700k
16gb DDR4 Ram
Make sure that you have installed both OS X and Windows the same way - either both UEFI or both Legacy mode.
Make sure you install Clover bootloader the same way you installed the OSs.

Hi there,

I had OSX Mavericks running fine on my BIOS hackintosh with Clover bootloader on the OSX partition.
Now I tried installing Windows 7 on the same harddrive, and reinstalling Clover.
But clover won't load from the harddrive anymore. Only from USB.
I keep stuck with a black screen after the BIOS screen...

Any suggestions?

Hi there,

I had OSX Mavericks running fine on my BIOS hackintosh with Clover bootloader on the OSX partition.
Now I tried installing Windows 7 on the same harddrive, and reinstalling Clover.
But clover won't load from the harddrive anymore. Only from USB.
I keep stuck with a black screen after the BIOS screen...

Any suggestions?
Make sure you install Clover legacy mode and not UEFI mode.
Easiest way to do this is to use the Clover pkg file downloaded from SourceForge and use the default install without selecting anything. Then replace the config.plist with the one on the USB.

Thanks for your reply.

First I tried installing Clover r2.3k r3423 Legacy Boot Mode (which is the same that is installed on the USB stick) via Multibeast, which didn't work.

Then I tried your method, installing Clover r2.3k r3974 from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot and replacing the config.plist on the EFI drive that appeared during installation with the one from the USB stick.
But that didn't do the trick neither.

edit:
So I formatted the EFI partition entirely in the Terminal with "sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1", reinstalled the newest Clover version, et voila! Works like a charme!

Last edited:
I followed the guide exactly. Got both Wndows 7 and Mavericks installed. Only problem is default boot drive is Windows and I want it to be Mavericks. Any ideas on how I can remedy this so that Mavericks is my default drive ? To get into Mavericks I must have my unibeast usb drive inserted also...... Any insights would be much appreciated.

I am working on a Pro Book 4530s

Back