Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

So can I extend it with GParted, then install Clover on EFI partition?
Launch Windows disk management tool and post a pic of the screen showing your hard drive and the partitions.

Launch Windows disk management tool and post a pic of the screen showing your hard drive and the partitions.
Безымянный.png

Is this reversed order or was Windows actually installed that far into the drive?
What is on the last partition on the far right? Can you back up the contents, delete the volume to free space, expand the 100MB EFI partition to 200MB or larger, then create a new volume in the remaining free space and restore your files to the new partition?
If you can, then this will make you able to install OS X, but disk utility will complain because the EFI partition is not the first partition on the drive.

Is this reversed order or was Windows actually installed that far into the drive?
It's actual order. It's GUID partitioning. I played a lot with partitions in the past (I had Win7, OSX Lion and Mountain Lion), that's why it's sort of mess.
If you can, then this will make you able to install OS X
But I already installed OSX Yosemite to 3rd 150G partition.

It's actual order. It's GUID partitioning. I played a lot with partitions in the past (I had Win7, OSX Lion and Mountain Lion), that's why it's sort of mess.

But I already installed OSX Yosemite to 3rd 150G partition.
If you have already installed Yosemite what are you using for boot loader? Chimera/Chameleon? (not sure how you persuaded Yosemite to install with only a 100MB EFI - was it larger when you installed Yosemite?)
How are you managing the dual boot process at this time?

If you have already installed Yosemite what are you using for boot loader? Chimera/Chameleon? (not sure how you persuaded Yosemite to install with only a 100MB EFI - was it larger when you installed Yosemite?)
How are you managing the dual boot process at this time?
If I want to boot OSX I put Unibeast USB drive with Chimera. For Win8 I do normal boot without USB drive inserted (Win8 boots with UEFI). That's my dual boot :)
I don't actually remember what OS I've installed first (I think Yosemite first, then Win8), but EFI partition was not larger and now it contains only Win8 boot efi files.

So I followed these steps (2 separate SSDs) and got OSX booted, then Windows, but once I got Windows working the Mac side stopped working. I could only boot it from a clover USB drive, and ended up with lots and lots of redundant, non-functional entries on the boot list.
I followed this guide to get rid of them, but they kept cropping up. Somewhere between flashing the BIOS and trying the fixes people listed in that thread, the OSX side stopped booting altogether, from either the HD or the USB.
Am I hosed and just need to wipe the mac drive and start the Hackintosh install anew? Is there something in the installation I should do differently when I do the new OSX install? (I checked, and Windows - which is still working - installed in Legacy mode, and other sites I looked at suggested I should thus use the Legacy mode for clover).

So I followed these steps (2 separate SSDs) and got OSX booted, then Windows, but once I got Windows working the Mac side stopped working. I could only boot it from a clover USB drive, and ended up with lots and lots of redundant, non-functional entries on the boot list.
I followed this guide to get rid of them, but they kept cropping up. Somewhere between flashing the BIOS and trying the fixes people listed in that thread, the OSX side stopped booting altogether, from either the HD or the USB.
Am I hosed and just need to wipe the mac drive and start the Hackintosh install anew? Is there something in the installation I should do differently when I do the new OSX install? (I checked, and Windows - which is still working - installed in Legacy mode, and other sites I looked at suggested I should thus use the Legacy mode for clover).
This guide presupposes you are installing on legacy BIOS hardware. For your Shylake hardware you want to use the UEFI guides pinned at the top of this forum. You want to install Windos in UEFI mode to get the best advantages of your hardware.

This guide presupposes you are installing on legacy BIOS hardware. For your Shylake hardware you want to use the UEFI guides pinned at the top of this forum. You want to install Windos in UEFI mode to get the best advantages of your hardware.
Thank you! Looks I'll be doing a lot of re-installing, but at least I'm not that far into software stuff so I won't weep tears of blood when I lose files. :p

My HDD is now GPT and I createed 3 partitions. one for OS X , 150 GB JURNALATED, one for windows, 150GB NTFS, and one as data, 200GB exFAT which I want to be shared between them. When I install win 10, I format data drive as NTFS, and there is no issue. When I go to OSX I can open the data drive. after that, when I go to windows again, I cant see data drive,
I used disk management to create data drive again, but when I wanted to format data drive, all my drives color became yellow and I lost mac drive. When I want to go to mac, I cannot. I have to format all my drives to install osx again.
how should I use a drive as share between both OSes?

Back