[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Disconnect OS X drive
Connect Win8 to be drive
Install Win8 UEFI mode
Reconnect OS X drive
Boot to UEFI and set OS X drive first in boot order
Save & exit, continue boot.

Hi again,
I follow this guide, and after reconnect osx drive,..no osx in boot option, only windows...!?!
Have i done something wrong?
I just unpluged sata cabl from port 1, connect second drive sata to port 2.
Reboot, start install win 8 from usb uefi.
After installing, turn off pc, connect sata port 1( mac osx)
Reboot, and then....:banghead::banghead:
See attach..this is what i have in boot option now
only can boot osx from usb...

edit:

i have add osx boot again with easyuefi, now is working,
but have other issue, i cannot delete olod windows partition on same ssd, and resize it back to full osx single ssd...
error operation failed...(cocoa error -1.)

Help,
Thnx

Attachments

• 20160611_213939.jpg
    20160611_213939.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
i have add osx boot again with easyuefi, now is working,
but have other issue, i cannot delete olod windows partition on same ssd, and resize it back to full osx single ssd...
error operation failed...(cocoa error -1.)

Help,
Thnx
Try erase the partition OS X Extended (Journaled) instead of delete.

Try erase the partition OS X Extended (Journaled) instead of delete.

have tried both,
erase first, then i still have to do delete partition when im trying to resize..
everything works ok, until the end when i hit apply to resize......hope i didnt brooke ssd..
but i run disk aid,..and it said..no error

i'm going slightly mad:crazy::crazy:...
thinking to do complete new install using this method from 1 page...
it will be easier then this issue..

S

Last edited:
i'm going slightly mad:crazy::crazy:...
thinking to do complete new install using this method from 1 page...
it will be easier then this issue..

S
Hate to rain on your parade, but you should not be using the guide in this thread - it is for Legacy based hardware.
Instead, you should look at the dual boot guides in the Laptop forum since you want to install on the same drive and you need to install both OS X and Windows in UEFI mode due to your Skylake hardware.
Especially you never want to format the partition for Windows MSDOS FAT as this sets up a hybrid GUID/MBR partition and Windows will not install UEFI on MBR. Format your Windows partition as if you were going to install OS X on it instead.

Hate to rain on your parade, but you should not be using the guide in this thread - it is for Legacy based hardware.
Instead, you should look at the dual boot guides in the Laptop forum since you want to install on the same drive and you need to install both OS X and Windows in UEFI mode due to your Skylake hardware.
Especially you never want to format the partition for Windows MSDOS FAT as this sets up a hybrid GUID/MBR partition and Windows will not install UEFI on MBR. Format your Windows partition as if you were going to install OS X on it instead.

is not gona be on same drive... 2x ssd, one for OS X and one for win..
complete reinstall done, working both drive....audio,video,..all set and running..:thumbup::thumbup:

thnx for your help
S

is not gona be on same drive... 2x ssd, one for OS X and one for win..
complete reinstall done, working both drive....audio,video,..all set and running..:thumbup::thumbup:

thnx for your help
S
:thumbup::clap::clap:

Hi.
Please help me to make dualboot of Windows 8 and Yosemite on same HDD (on laptop).
Sadly I already installed Win 8 with UEFI long time ago and now have many useful soft/data on Win8 partition so reinstall Win8 without UEFI is bad option. Can I just undone UEFI? :) What are my options to make dualboot?
For now I can boot Win8 as normal with UEFI, and if I want to boot OSX I put USB Unibeast drive with Chimera.

My partitions:
0 - 75GB NTFS data
1 - 100GB unallocated
2 - 150GB OSX Yosemite
3 - 150GB Win8 NTFS
4 - 300MB Win8 restore
5 - 100MB EFI

With only a 100MB EFI partition it cannot be done - OS X requires a 200MB or larger EFI partition before it will install..

So can I extend it with GParted, then install Clover on EFI partition?

Back