Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

The EFI partition is created by its own or should i create it on my 1st step?
If all works should i install the Clover rather than the chimera bootloader?

EFI partition was created when you formatted the drive for OS X with disk utility.

Use whatever boot loader you used on the original drive you are cloning

EFI partition was created when you formatted the drive for OS X with disk utility.

Use whatever boot loader you used on the original drive you are cloning

So i managed to get my 2 partitions on my new SSD again (win 7 and Yosemite) by doing this

1.Used CCC to copy my Yosemite
2.Installed win 7 again and restored with acronis true image my backup
3.Boot error 0xc000000e occured for win 7 so i used WIN 7 USB Flash to ''repair startup''
4.Followed some steps for post installation process for my laptop
now we will format efi partition
open terminal and type
sudo -sthen type your password

then type
newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/disk0s1then type
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFInow you will see efi paratition on finder open it

5.Copied inside it the EFI folder from my bootable Installation USB
6.Boot from usb flash and selected ''add clover boot options''
7.But when i boot without flash drive i cant get into clover.

Any thoughts?

So i managed to get my 2 partitions on my new SSD again (win 7 and Yosemite) by doing this

1.Used CCC to copy my Yosemite
2.Installed win 7 again and restored with acronis true image my backup
3.Boot error 0xc000000e occured for win 7 so i used WIN 7 USB Flash to ''repair startup''
4.Followed some steps for post installation process for my laptop
now we will format efi partition
open terminal and type
sudo -sthen type your password

then type
newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/disk0s1then type
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFInow you will see efi paratition on finder open it

5.Copied inside it the EFI folder from my bootable Installation USB
6.Boot from usb flash and selected ''add clover boot options''
7.But when i boot without flash drive i cant get into clover.

Any thoughts?

It is not enough to copy the EFI from the flash drive. Install the same version Clover to the cloned drive as you used on the flash. When done it will mount the cloned drive EFI partition. Then you copy the EFI folder from the flash drive, over-writing the one on the cloned drive.

It is not enough to copy the EFI from the flash drive. Install the same version Clover to the cloned drive as you used on the flash. When done it will mount the cloned drive EFI partition. Then you copy the EFI folder from the flash drive, over-writing the one on the cloned drive.

Thank you man. :clap:

That worked great at last i can enjoy my fast Hackintosh.

:thumbup:

I think I have a simple problem, and simply am missing one important step.

3 drives, 0 = OSX 10.10.3, 1= Data, 2= Win7

According to diskutil list command my drives are:

Physical OSX disk 0:
0: GUID_partition_scheme
1: EFI:EFI
2: Apple_HFS:Yosemite
3: Apple_Boot:Recovery HD

Physical DATA disk 1:
0: FDisk_partition_scheme
1: Windows_NTFS:Data
2: Apple_HFS: Mac Data

Physical Win7 disk 2:
0: FDisk_partition_scheme
1: Windows_NTFS

According to the GUI based OSX discutil application the Win7 and Data disk are both MBR based installations.

However using Chameleon Helper to install boot0md to the YOSEMITE partition doesn't seem to let me boot into Win7, I get the famous Bootmgr Missing message.

Currently this is how I boot to Win7:

1. Disconnect from motherboard the OSX drive.
2. Win7 boots automatically, no problem.

If Chimera is booting (I use Chimera) then I have the issue of Bootmgr Missing.

I think I am very close to the solution, but just missing a really basic point.

P.S. the boot0md should be installed to the Yosemite partition, correct?

thanks,
RDP

I

However using Chameleon Helper to install boot0md to the YOSEMITE partition doesn't seem to let me boot into Win7, I get the famous Bootmgr Missing message.
Are you selecting System Reserved icon to bot Windows? This is the way to boot Win7/8, not selecting the Windows NTFS icon.

Interestingly the naming of my options are (in order, from left to right):

1. Yosemite
2. Recovery HD
3. NTFS
4. Data

I DO NOT show a System Reserved Partition.

My Bios boot order is restricted to only one drive (others are disabled), this is the OSX drive.

"4. Data" is the NAME of my NTFS data partition on disk 1.

Interestingly (and I swear, REALLY, that I have tried this before!!!!) I selected 4. Data to try and boot from, and it booted into my Win 7 partition!!! So, this means, I should disconnect my disk 1 drive and boot into OSX and reinstall the bootloader, then reconnect the Data drive? Or, should I be trying to edit the loader plist... ?

To sum up: Great that I can boot now without having to disconnect the OSX drive, but now pondering what I am doing wrong.

Note: Changing the boot priority in bios does not seem to modify the reporting in OSX when I run diskutil list command, the Data drive likes to show up in between the OSX (disk 0) and the Win 7 intall (disk 2).

Almost there!

RDP

Interestingly the naming of my options are (in order, from left to right):

1. Yosemite
2. Recovery HD
3. NTFS
4. Data

I DO NOT show a System Reserved Partition.

My Bios boot order is restricted to only one drive (others are disabled), this is the OSX drive.

"4. Data" is the NAME of my NTFS data partition on disk 1.

Interestingly (and I swear, REALLY, that I have tried this before!!!!) I selected 4. Data to try and boot from, and it booted into my Win 7 partition!!! So, this means, I should disconnect my disk 1 drive and boot into OSX and reinstall the bootloader, then reconnect the Data drive? Or, should I be trying to edit the loader plist... ?

To sum up: Great that I can boot now without having to disconnect the OSX drive, but now pondering what I am doing wrong.

Note: Changing the boot priority in bios does not seem to modify the reporting in OSX when I run diskutil list command, the Data drive likes to show up in between the OSX (disk 0) and the Win 7 intall (disk 2).

Almost there!

RDP

What I think has happened here (and a physical inspection of your SATA connections is required to verify) is that your NTFS Data drive is connected to a higher priority SATA port than your Windows drive.
Windows installer wants the boot files on the drive with the highest boot priority so installed them on the Data drive. By boot priority I am talking about physical connection - i.e. SATA 0, SATA 1, SATA 6, etc.
Windows really wants to be connected to SATA 0 and will put you boot files on a drive connected there if at all possible.

How to prevent this is simple - disconnect every other drive from the board except the Windows drive before attempting a Windows install. Suggest you Disconect the OSX drive and the Data drive, boot Windows with the USB and "repair the boot sector" with the USB tools or re-install from scratch and then restore from your backup. This will put the boot files on the Windows drive and disconnection or loss of the Data drive will not prevent your Win7 drive from booting.

You are a pro.

To test your theory I disconnected the DATA drive. Next reboot offered:

1. Yosemite
2. Recovery
3. NTFS

And, as expected NTFS would not boot.

I plugged the DATA drive back in again and had the full menu back:

1. Yosemite
2. Recovery
3. NTFS
4. Data

However selecting Data caused a BootMgr Missing error. So I went into the bios and changed the boot priority list around

After reconnecting Data drive:
1. Yosemite SSD
2. Data Drive
3. Win 7 SSD

Updated (to what it was before):
1. Yosemite SSD
2. Win 7 SSD
3. Data Drive

Now I could boot the Win 7 install again by selecting Data. What baffles me about this setup is why does the boot order matter at all when I should/should be booting off of the Yosemite SSD every time? I thought the BIOS boot priority list was exactly that, the priority it would try to boot from. I am surprised it affects Chimera/Chameleon.

But, I know what to do to get things back to where they were, so the above is just me speaking out loud.

QUESTION: What process are you referring to when you say "Suggest you Disconect the OSX drive and the Data drive, boot Windows with the USB and "repair the boot sector" with the USB tools". What is the USB software? Do you want me to create a Win 7 recovery USB stick? I know there is a DVD burn option, but wasn't aware of the USB option, but I can find it if it exists. Or, is the USB part of the Unibeast suite? Apologies for what might seem a simple question.

thanks,
RDP

Back