Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

I want to use this method for Windows 8.1 (existing) and Yosemite. My question is I have a brand new ssd for my mac drive how do I get into disk utility to partition? Or do I just do it when I start the install?

I want to use this method for Windows 8.1 (existing) and Yosemite. My question is I have a brand new ssd for my mac drive how do I get into disk utility to partition? Or do I just do it when I start the install?

Your Windows install is likely UEFI. You'll need to use Clover as Chameleon/Chimera cannot boot Windows in UEFI mode.

Your Windows install is likely UEFI. You'll need to use Clover as Chameleon/Chimera cannot boot Windows in UEFI mode.

Is there a guide to walk me through how to dual boot using Clover instead?

Is there a guide to walk me through how to dual boot using Clover instead?

It is super easy... Leave empty space for Windows when you partition. Then install Windows in UEFI mode after installing OS X. If your BIOS no longer boots into Clover (depending on your BIOS) you may need to rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

If you're trying to preserve an existing Windows UEFI install, read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

This, of course, leaves out the whole process of installing OS X using Clover, but that depends on hardware and there are plenty of guides out there.

It is super easy... Leave empty space for Windows when you partition. Then install Windows in UEFI mode after installing OS X. If your BIOS no longer boots into Clover (depending on your BIOS) you may need to rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

If you're trying to preserve an existing Windows UEFI install, read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

This, of course, leaves out the whole process of installing OS X using Clover, but that depends on hardware and there are plenty of guides out there.

Thanks Rehabman....now what would the process be if I had 2 seperate SSD drives? I already have windows installed on one and now need to get my osx on a brand new drive I bought just for this?

Thanks Rehabman....now what would the process be if I had 2 seperate SSD drives? I already have windows installed on one and now need to get my osx on a brand new drive I bought just for this?

Just install normally with Clover to the new SSD. Then set your BIOS to boot to Clover on that second SSD. Clover should automatically detect Windows UEFI on the other drive, provided your config.plist is setup correctly for that.

Just install normally with Clover to the new SSD. Then set your BIOS to boot to Clover on that second SSD. Clover should automatically detect Windows UEFI on the other drive, provided your config.plist is setup correctly for that.

Boot to clover on the new osx ssd right?

What do you do with Win 10 on USB

Back