Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual boot Windows and Yosemite with Clover EFI Boot Loader on a Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking at the 102.plist now since I want to use a Clover patch. The "find" and "replace values", are they <data> type or <string> type? No explanation in the instructions. Also, how does one know whether to use US-FCC-dv or US-FCC??

You can use either <data> (binary/base64 data) or <string> (hex data).

You can use either <data> (binary/base64 data) or <string> (hex data).

From the plist code, I'm assuming this is string (hex data)?

Code:
			{
				Comment = "10.10.2-BCM94352-5 GHz-US-FCC";
				Find = <5854005d 19542100 00>;
				Name = AirPortBrcm4360;
				Replace = <55531a04 192b2100 00>;
			},

From the plist code, I'm assuming this is string (hex data)?

Code:
			{
				Comment = "10.10.2-BCM94352-5 GHz-US-FCC";
				Find = <5854005d 19542100 00>;
				Name = AirPortBrcm4360;
				Replace = <55531a04 192b2100 00>;
			},

Use a plist editor such as xcode. Syntax is xml, not old-style plist.

Rehabman,

I got 5ghz and Handoff both working. I applied two Clover patches and everything is working (I'm connected to my 5ghz network right now).

General question about updating my BIOS and DSDT/SSDT. I noticed on the Acer drivers page for my laptop that there is an update to my BIOS (1.06 is what I have and the latest is 1.13 which says there are "performance improvements". Is it dangerous to update my BIOS at this point since I have OSX running nicely? Would I have to do a re-dump of ACPI in Linux and re-do all my DSDT/SSDT editing? How does that work?

On a totally different and non-hackintosh related note (I'm only mentioning it because this is a guide to dual booting Windows and Mac on this laptop), the bcm94352z M.2 NGFF wifi/bluetooth combo card (which is a Dell DW1560) absolutely refuses to run/power on in Windows. Windows sees the Wifi card in Device Manager, but not Bluetooth. Running HWInfo, no reference to Bluetooth whatsoever. Wifi won't work since Bluetooth is not powered on. Wifi software slider switch is greyed out. Total bummer. I wanted to avoid using dongles in either OS.

...Is it dangerous to update my BIOS at this point since I have OSX running nicely? Would I have to do a re-dump of ACPI in Linux and re-do all my DSDT/SSDT editing? How does that work?

There is always a risk that a change in BIOS may cause trouble for OS X. But it is unlikely. You would need to re-extract/re-patch ACPI files, as they can change across a BIOS update.

On a totally different and non-hackintosh related note (I'm only mentioning it because this is a guide to dual booting Windows and Mac on this laptop), the bcm94352z M.2 NGFF wifi/bluetooth combo card (which is a Dell DW1560) absolutely refuses to run/power on in Windows. Windows sees the Wifi card in Device Manager, but not Bluetooth. Running HWInfo, no reference to Bluetooth whatsoever. Wifi won't work since Bluetooth is not powered on. Wifi software slider switch is greyed out. Total bummer. I wanted to avoid using dongles in either OS.

WiFi is independent of bluetooth. Bluetooth is on USB bus. WiFi is on PCIe.

You need to install proper drivers.

There is always a risk that a change in BIOS may cause trouble for OS X. But it is unlikely. You would need to re-extract/re-patch ACPI files, as they can change across a BIOS update.

WiFi is independent of bluetooth. Bluetooth is on USB bus. WiFi is on PCIe.

You need to install proper drivers.

Re: BIOS. OK, good to know. I think I'll stay on 1.06 for now. Both Windows and Mac are running fine. I don't notice any glaring issues that a BIOS update would fix. OSX is more important for me as a daily runner as i do lots of audio stuff in OSX. Windows is strictly just for gaming and anything that requires the Nvidia card (such as Davinci Resolve)

Re: WiFi and Bluetooth. Yeah, that's the weird thing. They are independent. The problem is that all of the drivers I try to install want to install the Broadcom Bluetooth stuff first. Since it can't find any Bluetooth device, the installers all fail. I tried doing a manual install of just the wifi drivers, and Device Manager shows the Wifi driver is installed and is working fine, but no wifi. I suspect the Bluetooth not powering on has some adverse affect on the wifi not working. And there is no physical switch on this laptop to turn wireless services on/off. The Wifi slider in Windows is greyed out. Weird.

Re: BIOS. OK, good to know. I think I'll stay on 1.06 for now. Both Windows and Mac are running fine. I don't notice any glaring issues that a BIOS update would fix. OSX is more important for me as a daily runner as i do lots of audio stuff in OSX. Windows is strictly just for gaming and anything that requires the Nvidia card (such as Davinci Resolve)

Re: WiFi and Bluetooth. Yeah, that's the weird thing. They are independent. The problem is that all of the drivers I try to install want to install the Broadcom Bluetooth stuff first. Since it can't find any Bluetooth device, the installers all fail. I tried doing a manual install of just the wifi drivers, and Device Manager shows the Wifi driver is installed and is working fine, but no wifi. I suspect the Bluetooth not powering on has some adverse affect on the wifi not working. And there is no physical switch on this laptop to turn wireless services on/off. The Wifi slider in Windows is greyed out. Weird.

What version of Windows?

When I added my BCM94352HMB (same hardware as yours, different form factor) to my Lenovo u430, Windows 8.1 added the drivers directly from Windows update automatically...

What version of Windows?

When I added my BCM94352HMB (same hardware as yours, different form factor) to my Lenovo u430, Windows 8.1 added the drivers directly from Windows update automatically...

I am running Windows 8.1. I did buy a system builders/OEM copy of Windows 8.1 when I bought my new M.2 card. I wanted to have a nice clean version of Windows without all of the bloatware included with the Acer version.

I just now tried to re-install just the Wifi driver. Installed fine and Device Manager shows the hardware is working but the Wifi sliders to turn wifi on/off in Windows 8.1 are greyed out. No way to turn it on. It is set to off.

Funny how I had a card that worked in Windows (atheros) but didn't work in OSX, and now the reverse is true (BCM94352z works in OSX perfectly but doesn't work in Windows). Life is funny sometimes.

I'll try the Windows Update method. Didn't try that.

I am running Windows 8.1. I did buy a system builders/OEM copy of Windows 8.1 when I bought my new M.2 card. I wanted to have a nice clean version of Windows without all of the bloatware included with the Acer version.

I just now tried to re-install just the Wifi driver. Installed fine and Device Manager shows the hardware is working but the Wifi sliders to turn wifi on/off in Windows 8.1 are greyed out. No way to turn it on. It is set to off.

Funny how I had a card that worked in Windows (atheros) but didn't work in OSX, and now the reverse is true (BCM94352z works in OSX perfectly but doesn't work in Windows). Life is funny sometimes.

I'll try the Windows Update method. Didn't try that.

No idea what you mean by "WiFi sliders"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back