Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

I am multi-booting on my laptop. I have different versions of OS X. I made this SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml using this guide when I only had High Sierra on this laptop.
Now, can I just copy that and paste it in ACPI/patched for all the other versions?
I have 10.11, 10.12, 10.13.
Thanks a lot RehabMan for this guide and all such help you have been doing to us.

I am multi-booting on my laptop. I have different versions of OS X. I made this SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml using this guide when I only had High Sierra on this laptop.
Now, can I just copy that and paste it in ACPI/patched for all the other versions?
I have 10.11, 10.12, 10.13.
Thanks a lot RehabMan for this guide and all such help you have been doing to us.

If you have another system installed, you probably should have already disabled the discrete device:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

No need for spoofing if you already have patched ACPI that disables the device...

Heys guys, i'm trying to disable my nvidia card. but when i look for Method (_INI in my SSDT-5, there are 3 different _INI Methods, which one should I patch? And also when I check the _OFF method in SSDT-8, i think mine does not call EC0? am i correct? if so, that means all i have to do is call _OFF in my _INI right? please help. thanks a lot

Attachments

• origin 2.zip
    155.9 KB · Views: 73
Heys guys, i'm trying to disable my nvidia card. but when i look for Method (_INI in my SSDT-5, there are 3 different _INI Methods, which one should I patch? And also when I check the _OFF method in SSDT-8, i think mine does not call EC0? am i correct? if so, that means all i have to do is call _OFF in my _INI right? please help. thanks a lot

SSDT-8 shows _OFF at path _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.
There is no _INI at that patch in any file.
Therefore you add an _INI just before _OFF:
Code:
Method(_INI) { _OFF() }

SSDT-8 shows _OFF at path _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.
There is no _INI at that patch in any file.
Therefore you add an _INI just before _OFF:
Code:
Method(_INI) { _OFF() }

thanks for your reply. so all i have to do is add Method(_INI) { _OFF() } before _OFF method in SSDT-8 and that's it? what about the other files like SSDT-5? thanks for your helpp!

Not relevant.
so just to be clear, all i have to do is add method ini and call off and my nvidia will be disabled? thanks a lot rehabman!

so just to be clear, all i have to do is add method ini and call off and my nvidia will be disabled? thanks a lot rehabman!

Impossible to predict the future, but yes, as per guide, that is what you should try...

Note: 'ini' would be invalid. Must be _INI.

Impossible to predict the future, but yes, as per guide, that is what you should try...

Note: 'ini' would be invalid. Must be _INI.

What if i am unable to boot? How do i reverse this? N just out of curiousity, why is the SSDT-5 irrelevant? N also, how do i know if my nvidia is properly turned off? Thankss

What if i am unable to boot? How do i reverse this?

Obvious: Undo the changes if they cause a problem.

N just out of curiousity, why is the SSDT-5 irrelevant?

It has primarily IGPU content.

N also, how do i know if my nvidia is properly turned off? Thankss

The difference will be obvious in ioreg and "System Information.app".

Back