Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Good find.

OK... so maybe no bug here. I missed seeing the HWPEnable option.
The HWP option has always enabled CpuPm/PluginType inject.
In that case, we are seeing the correct behavior. Because Generate/PluginType is unspecified, but HWPEnable is specified, we should expect CpuPm/PluginType SSDT inject.
But if setting Generate/PluginType=false does not avoid the CpuPm/PluginType=1 inject, then we have another bug that should be fixed (because then you'd be able to use HWPEnable and avoid CpuPM table with Generate/PluginType=false).

Personally, I don't use HWPEnable as it is never needed.... HWP is enabled by simply using an HWP enabled SMBIOS. No Clover features needed for that.

Backward compatibility sucks.

But if setting Generate/PluginType=false does not avoid the CpuPm/PluginType=1 inject, then we have another bug that should be fixed (because then you'd be able to use HWPEnable and avoid CpuPM table with Generate/PluginType=false).
-> i confirmed this part on my sandy and skylake by using each options.

right. i also never use hwpenable option. i'm always use vector frequency's hwp option for laptop. actually we don't need hwpenable option in config.plist. always depended on vector data for boot/sleep's hwp.

i will remove that line to avoid confusion. thank you so much.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete (no files in ACPI/origin).
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, for AutoMerge=true, you must use latest RehabMan build of Clover.
And "SortedOrder 2" is ignored by Clover.
But you do not need SortedOrder anyway, so remove "SortedOrder 2" from your plist.

updated problem report files.
I modified config.plist, But not able to boot as per attached image error if DropOem-yes then i stuck in verbos mode kp. i only can boot if DropOem=No,

I think my patching is not correct. please help thank you.

Attachments

• HP ZHAN 66 PRO G1 Problem Reporting2.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 69
  • Verbose mode error.jpeg
    Verbose mode error.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
updated problem report files.
I modified config.plist, But not able to boot as per attached image error if DropOem-yes then i stuck in verbos mode kp. i only can boot if DropOem=No,

I think my patching is not correct. please help thank you.

DropOem=true is not valid with your ACPI/patched content.
DropOem=true is only valid when all SSDTs from ACPI/origin are present in ACPI/patched.

You seem to be using hotpatch, ... The device should be disabled with SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml. Remove SSDT-13-NVSGPCH.aml and set DropOem=false.
And your config.plist/ACPI/DropTables is insane. Remove it entirely, or refer to original plists in my guide for correct content.

DropOem=true is not valid with your ACPI/patched content.
DropOem=true is only valid when all SSDTs from ACPI/origin are present in ACPI/patched.

You seem to be using hotpatch, ... The device should be disabled with SSDT-Disable_DGPU.aml. Remove SSDT-13-NVSGPCH.aml and set DropOem=false.
And your config.plist/ACPI/DropTables is insane. Remove it entirely, or refer to original plists in my guide for correct content.

DropOem-False,
SSDT-13-NVSGPCH.aml removed.
config.plist/ACPI/DropTables updated as per your content. I can able to boot.
so how do i know if my discrete nvidia device is powered off?

Attachments

• HP ZHAN 66 PRO EFI.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 92

Attachments

• HP ZHAN 66 PRO EFI.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 98
Your patchmatic output demonstrates a bug in Clover that I reported to the developer that wrote the bug. I just haven't had time to verify that the bug does, in fact, exist, and to create a fix.
To work around, set config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=false.
Of course, you also don't need SSDT.aml with your hardware, so you could remove it and use config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true instead.

Fix that and see if it fixes your problem.

SSDT-9.aml is correctly being merged as expected. Which means _OFF is not working. There are some EC references in there, and you didn't patch it, but they do look protected by checks of ECON. You will need to use ACPIDebug to further debug it, assuming the PluginType=false mentioned above does not fix it.
I was working around that before. It is also not working with "config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true"
I guessed some short of SSDT merging issue so I tried with "SSDT-XCPM.aml + PluginType=1", Having the same issue too.
I will attach the ACPI Debug Report Soon with other tests.

I was working around that before. It is also not working with "config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true"

Generate/PluginType should be false when using SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh.
Of course, you don't need SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh.
And you don't need HWPEnable either.
See PM guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

You want to get to a point where your 'patchmatic -extract' output disassembles without errors with 'iasl -da -dl *.aml'.

Good find.

OK... so maybe no bug here. I missed seeing the HWPEnable option.
The HWP option has always enabled CpuPm/PluginType inject.
In that case, we are seeing the correct behavior. Because Generate/PluginType is unspecified, but HWPEnable is specified, we should expect CpuPm/PluginType SSDT inject.

Personally, I don't use HWPEnable as it is never needed.... HWP is enabled by simply using an HWP enabled SMBIOS. No Clover features needed for that.

Backward compatibility sucks.
I tried to understand the conversation and disabled HWP.
Tried to boot with
1.“Generate/PluginType=true”
No SSDT.aml
<not working, same issue>
2.CpuPm/PluginType=1
Generate/PluginType=false
With SSDT-XCPM.aml,No pikers SSDT

I tried to understand the conversation and disabled HWP.
Tried to boot with
1.“Generate/PluginType=true”
No SSDT.aml
2.CpuPm/PluginType=1
Generate/PluginType=false
With SSDT-XCPM.aml,No pikers SSDT

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Back