Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

@RehabMan wouldn't that be easier to add Nvidia web drivers on the installation USB stick? I'm sorry, I really tried my best to follow these REALLY COMPLICATED guides, and I can't disconnect my 2 GPUs as they are water-cooled and my BIOS doesn't support PCIE disable (Asus Z97 WS)... Does that mean that I'm screwed and I won't install 10.13 and following?
Isn't there a way for someone like me, stupid like me who tries to follow the guide and doesn't succeed? I have never had a problem installing from 10.5 until now on Hackintosh, this is just giving me HELL.

Would an alternative be to remove the SSD, update it on a real mac, add nvidia web drivers on a real mac and then move the SSD back on my PC?

Thanks and sorry for being dense. I've been trying for a month and I've given up.
This is a laptop thread for disabling Nvidia as they are not supported in optimus configuration on laptops

This is a laptop thread for disabling Nvidia as they are not supported in optimus configuration on laptops

The very same thing happens on desktops using an Nvidia card, apparently. Shouldn't that be addressed in automatic in Clover? This will screw EVERY POINT AND SECURITY UPDATE in High Sierra.

@RehabMan wouldn't that be easier to add Nvidia web drivers on the installation USB stick? I'm sorry, I really tried my best to follow these REALLY COMPLICATED guides, and I can't disconnect my 2 GPUs as they are water-cooled and my BIOS doesn't support PCIE disable (Asus Z97 WS)...

Impressive laptop hardware configuration you have there...

The very same thing happens on desktops using an Nvidia card, apparently. Shouldn't that be addressed in automatic in Clover? This will screw EVERY POINT AND SECURITY UPDATE in High Sierra.

On my z270/1050Ti desktop, I use Intel IGPU during install/updates and spoof the 1050 (with config.plist entries) to prevent this problem. Simple matter of changing a few BIOS options, moving an HDMI cable, and choosing a different plist in Clover.

Impressive laptop hardware configuration you have there...

On my z270/1050Ti desktop, I use Intel IGPU during install/updates and spoof the 1050 (with config.plist entries) to prevent this problem. Simple matter of changing a few BIOS options, moving an HDMI cable, and choosing a different plist in Clover.

I am getting exactly the same installation error on a desktop using an Nvidia chipset. Gestalt aside, the source of the problem si the same, and I've been running in circles, with people claiming "it's really easy to fix" when it's not or being vague about their answers, or with endless threads with hundreds of messages, often written in a rush.

I am asking for help, this is what forums are there for, and I am no troll, I've been in the scene since the start. I just can't get this particular installation to work and it's the first time, up to 10.12 I had no issues at all.

Most importantly, can you help me, considering that I did read with all the attention I have your guide and was unable to understand it?

I can provide you with all my files and info if you feel like helping me.

I am getting exactly the same installation error on a desktop using an Nvidia chipset. Gestalt aside, the source of the problem si the same, and I've been running in circles, with people claiming "it's really easy to fix" when it's not or being vague about their answers, or with endless threads with hundreds of messages, often written in a rush.

I am asking for help, this is what forums are there for, and I am no troll, I've been in the scene since the start. I just can't get this particular installation to work and it's the first time, up to 10.12 I had no issues at all.

Most importantly, can you help me, considering that I did read with all the attention I have your guide and was unable to understand it?

This is a guide to disable nvidia "after" you have installed macOS on a "laptop"

i don't think there is anything here that will help you on your desktop

There is some information here you might find useful:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

It is pretty easy to fix with config.plist (Nvidia/Inject=true, appropriate entries in AddProperties). Or you can go the SSDT route. Either way same result (which is to make the Nvidia device look like it IS NOT a graphics device).

Hey, guys! I have both _PS0/_PS3 and _ON/_OFF methods in my SSDTs. And so I have a question, which one I should call, then?
There is no any EC access.

Code:
       Method (_PS0, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PS0: Power State 0
        {
            If (DGOS)
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._ON ()
                Store (Zero, DGOS)
                Store (Zero, MLTF)
            }
        }

Method (_PS3, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PS3: Power State 3
        {
            If (LEqual (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR, 0x03))
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF ()
                Store (One, DGOS)
                Store (0x02, \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OMPR)
            }
        }

Method (_ON, 0, Serialized)  // _ON_: Power On
        {
            P8XH (Zero, 0xE1)
            Store (Zero, DGRS)
            Sleep (0x64)
            Store (One, DGPW)
            Sleep (0x02)
            Store (One, NVPW)
            Sleep (0x012C)
            Store (One, DGRS)
            Sleep (0x64)
            Store (Zero, LNKD)
            While (LLess (LNKS, 0x07))
            {
                Sleep (One)
            }

If (LEqual (SETF, One))
            {
                Store (VGAB, VGAR)
            }

Return (One)
        }

Method (_OFF, 0, Serialized)  // _OFF: Power Off
        {
            P8XH (Zero, 0xE0)
            Store (One, SETF)
            Store (VGAR, VGAB)
            Store (One, LNKD)
            While (LNotEqual (LNKS, Zero))
            {
                Sleep (One)
            }

Store (Zero, DGRS)
            Store (Zero, NVPW)
            Store (Zero, DGPW)
            Sleep (0x012C)
            Store (One, DGRS)
            Sleep (0x64)
            Return (Zero)
        }

Attachments

• System SSDT-2.dsl
    15.6 KB · Views: 149
Hey, guys! I have both _PS0/_PS3 and _ON/_OFF methods in my SSDTs. And so I have a question, which one I should call, then?

It is not uncommon.
You can try _PS3 or _OFF. (_PS0 is "ON").

Well, it looks like the _PS3 method is not working for me (My NVIDIA entry is still under Graphics in System Information), while the _OFF method actually do work.

Back