Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Does this mean that if i disabled it in BIOS i don't need this patch?

Correct.
This guide is so you can enable it in BIOS, use the device in Windows, but disable it when running macOS/OS X.

I tried following this guide to disable my GTX765m but no success. Before I try to disable it, is it possible to use the Nvidia graphics for HDMI, DisplayPort video output or it won't work? All the video output (except the laptop display) goes to the Nvidia graphics.

I tried following this guide to disable my GTX765m but no success. Before I try to disable it, is it possible to use the Nvidia graphics for HDMI, DisplayPort video output or it won't work? All the video output (except the laptop display) goes to the Nvidia graphics.

This guide is not for you. This guide is only for dual-GPU switched/routed configurations (eg. like Nvidia Optimus).

This guide is not for you. This guide is only for dual-GPU switched/routed configurations (eg. like Nvidia Optimus).
Well, that's what my laptop has, optimus. I have intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GTX 765m (with optimus, obviously only works for windows)

Well, that's what my laptop has, optimus. I have intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GTX 765m (with optimus, obviously only works for windows)

You wrote:
All the video output (except the laptop display) goes to the Nvidia graphics.

Clearly not Optimus. If it was Optimus, all video output, including the external ports would go through Intel IGPU.

Clearly not Optimus. If it was Optimus, all video output, including the external ports would go through Intel IGPU.
Well, only the external ports goes to the Nvidia GPU. NVIDIA GPU turns on when the system needs more graphic's rendering hardware and rus with the Intel IGPU. I thought this is what also makes up Optimus.

Well, only the external ports goes to the Nvidia GPU.

If true...
It is dual-GPU with dedicated external ports for Nvidia.
It is not Optimus, therefore this guide does not apply.

You should verify in Windows, of course...

It is dual-GPU with dedicated external ports for Nvidia.
Well then, is there a guide that shows me how to fix/enable the nvidia external outputs from my laptop? lol

Well then, is there a guide that shows me how to fix/enable the nvidia external outputs from my laptop? lol

Not that I know of.

Hello Mr, RehabMan
I have dell inspiron 5520 with 2 cards intel 4000 and amd 7670 and I followed your toturial but with no luck in disabling 7670 amd card.

I don't have this line \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.SPIN, so I didn't remove it from _OFF() method cause it doesn't exists.
also I didn't use this within _REG method
I just used the default
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF()

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• patchmatic.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IORegistry.zip
    513.4 KB · Views: 94
  • acpiplat.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 111
  • appleintelcpu.zip