Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Thank you for the quick response, I'll try that.
Btw an additional note: I did'nt use "Fix _WAK IAOE" (new patch), as I could not find it in your dsdt patches folder (can't use the repository as my Hackintosh has no internet until the wifi stick arrives...
instead I used BOTH WAK fixes v1 & v2. could that cause problems?
Also I omitted "Brightness Fix (Haswell)" (because of your 10.12.4 backlight guide) and used "Cleanup/Fix Errors (SSDT)" only on SSDT-15.
I also had to delete a few lines of code in SSDT-11 to get it compiled.

Thank you for the quick response, I'll try that.
Btw an additional note: I did'nt use "Fix _WAK IAOE" (new patch), as I could not find it in your dsdt patches folder (can't use the repository as my Hackintosh has no internet until the wifi stick arrives...
instead I used BOTH WAK fixes v1 & v2. could that cause problems?
Also I omitted "Brightness Fix (Haswell)" (because of your 10.12.4 backlight guide) and used "Cleanup/Fix Errors (SSDT)" only on SSDT-15.
I also had to delete a few lines of code in SSDT-11 to get it compiled.

Only one _WAK fix makes sense.
The IAOE patch is a different patch and is probably not needed (the IAOE problem is usually caused by people unnecessarily omitting SSDTs).
No idea on "few lines of code" when you don't provide specifics.

Thanks, do you know if I should also use the "misc_Skylake-LPC" patch too, as my laptop has a Kaby Lake CPU? And is it correct to use the "usb_prw_0x6d_xhc_skl" patch instead of the one without skl, as I'm using SKL drivers for my HD620?

When I try to move HGOF from _OFF to _REG (DSDT) I get a compiling error for the line in _REG calling HGOF "Object does not exist (\_SB.PCI0.HGOF)"...

Ah, I think I got it by using an external declaration for HGOF. now it boots with all the patched DSDT and SSDT. how can I check if the discrete graphics is indeed disabled?

Also, the backlight controls still do not work... I hoped that it would be fixed when using iGPU in DSDT, do you maybe have a clue?

Last edited:
Thanks, do you know if I should also use the "misc_Skylake-LPC" patch too, as my laptop has a Kaby Lake CPU?

Debatable. Some evidence that AppleLPC is not required with Skylake and later.
Experiment for yourself.

And is it correct to use the "usb_prw_0x6d_xhc_skl" patch instead of the one without skl, as I'm using SKL drivers for my HD620?

It actually has nothing to do with graphics drivers, but the answer is "yes".

When I try to move HGOF from _OFF to _REG (DSDT) I get a compiling error for the line in _REG calling HGOF "Object does not exist (\_SB.PCI0.HGOF)"...

You do not move the entire HGOF. As per guide, you should only move the EC related code from HGOF to _REG.
Read the guide carefully.
Make sure you understand the example files completely before moving on to your own.

Okay, I did the whole thing again from the beginning, but this time only moved the EC related content from HGOF to _REG. I also only deleted one line in DSDT: "BNUM, 8," which always causes an error when compiling DSDT.

Now I get compiling errors for DSDT, SSDT-0, SSDT-12 and SSDT-14 (see attached screenshots).
The DSDT errors came up after moving the EC related lines from HGOF to _REG, the SSDT-0 errors after using the _PSS placeholders patch on SSDT-0, the SSDT-12 errors are shown even before patching the file and SSDT-14 (which contains HGOF) shows an error after removing the EC stuff from HGOF.
Can I just remove the lines causing the errors or is there any patch for those errors?

Attachments

• DSDT patched.zip
    115.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Compiling errors.zip
    162.9 KB · Views: 109
I also only deleted one line in DSDT: "BNUM, 8," which always causes an error when compiling DSDT.

Wrong fix. You should remove the External(BNUM, ...) line instead.

Now I get compiling errors for DSDT, SSDT-0, SSDT-12 and SSDT-14 (see attached screenshots).

You have to move the EC related code, including any manipulations of local variables.
Requires you to analyze the code there and make the edited code and the code you move to _REG to accomplish the same thing it used to...
Looks like what you did doesn't make any sense.

Hi.
I did tried with the attached files and it went good, but with mine i couldn't really do it... i couldn't do it... could you please help me?

Attachments

• Aldo’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    5.8 MB · Views: 123
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • RehabMan.zip
    22 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.12.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.12.16 PM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 137
Hi.
I did tried with the attached files and it went good, but with mine i couldn't really do it... i couldn't do it... could you please help me?

According to your ioreg, there is no discrete graphics device present (maybe you disabled it in BIOS).

According to your ioreg, there is no discrete graphics device present (maybe you disabled it in BIOS).
I Just saw my bios and yes. it is disabled... i didn't noticed...
Does this mean that if i disabled it in BIOS i don't need this patch?

Back