Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Which bootloader?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

My detailed informations have been added. Now I usualy use Clover bootloader, but Chameleon can be also.
Could you chceck this DSDT.aml? It is for similar laptop as I own, but I have it downloaded from web. I can boot OSX with it using nVidia Card, but often times I got kernel panic. There is much of bugs I think. So my goal is prepare my own DSDT.aml with correct patching and also with disabling nVidia graphic card.

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 150
My detailed informations have been added. Now I usualy use Clover bootloader, but Chameleon can be also.
Could you chceck this DSDT.aml? It is for similar laptop as I own, but I have it downloaded from web. I can boot OSX with it using nVidia Card, but often times I got kernel panic. There is much of bugs I think. So my goal is prepare my own DSDT.aml with correct patching and also with disabling nVidia graphic card.

Never a good idea to use a DSDT from another computer.

Read guide for patching your own: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Never a good idea to use a DSDT from another computer.

Read guide for patching your own: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

I read this guide many times. I extracted ACPI tables using F4 Clover method and used some patched. But my system won´t boot with my new DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml.
When I try to boot with nVidia card, I got black screen after 5 second of booting, because I turned OFF this card in SSDT.
When I try to boot with Intel HD3000 card, I still got Kernel Panic and I don´t know, where is problem.

These are my extracted and prepared ACPI tables.

Attachments

• m4600.zip
    36.4 KB · Views: 142
I read this guide many times. I extracted ACPI tables using F4 Clover method and used some patched. But my system won´t boot with my new DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml.
When I try to boot with nVidia card, I got black screen after 5 second of booting, because I turned OFF this card in SSDT.
When I try to boot with Intel HD3000 card, I still got Kernel Panic and I don´t know, where is problem.

These are my extracted and prepared ACPI tables.

Open a separate thread. Basics of Yosemite installation are off-topic here.

Open a separate thread. Basics of Yosemite installation are off-topic here.

I finaly can boot with Clover using Intel HD3000, but without DSDT.am!!!. Only SSDT for disabling nVidia and SSDT for CPU Pm are loaded in ACPI->Patched.

There are files of "Problems reporting"

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Attachments

• m4600.ioreg.zip
    360.8 KB · Views: 166
  • RehabMan.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 137
I finaly can boot with Clover using Intel HD3000, but without DSDT.am!!!. Only SSDT for disabling nVidia and SSDT for CPU Pm are loaded in ACPI->Patched.

There are files of "Problems reporting"

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

I don't see a problem. The discrete card is disabled.

I don't see a problem. The discrete card is disabled.

Yes, it is disabled. RehabMan, I realy thank you for your guides and tips.
Now, I'm going to patching DSDT to audio work, but for this, there are other topics.

I extracted my ACPI tables with linux. and i dont have SSDT-0 and SSDT-12...

Back