Intel G33/G31
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Community,
I'm trying to accomplish this (disabling the GPU) on an Desktop Server (HP Data Vault X510) running El Captain on an Pentium E5200 (probably patched Mojave on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 soon). While the OS altogether is running flawlessly vanilla (except Realtek ethernet drivers, NullCPUPowerManagment) it does not sleep, advertising .Display-boot after running (pmset -g assertions) as the culprit (so not NullCPUPowerManagment related, I think).
Obviously the available Intel G33/G31 chipset is not supported at all, but nor do I need it, as it's a headless server (read: actually no external monitor port whatsoever - well an internal GPIO one, no PCI slot).
As I used to run an actual Mac Pro 4,1 (5,1) without any GPU, I know that macOS can run and sleep without any Graphics. This is why I do want to disable it (the G33/G31) altogether. (Which also should give some thermal headroom.)
However taking this guide as an inspiration (not same usecase) I'm running into an issue quiet early. I cannot even create the .dsl files, as the iasl -da -dl *.aml fails with the following output (.aml files extracted using Clover BIOS 4920):
Code:
$ iasl -da -dl *.aml

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler/Disassembler version 20180427(RM)
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation

Input file APIC.aml, Length 0x6C (108) bytes
Illegal instruction: 4

EDIT 5-17-19: I forgot to mention, that it doesn't make any difference to inject Intel or not. Also the BIOS understandably does not provide an option to disable it, as there isn't any alternative. As well toggling GFX0/iGPU doesn't make a difference.

EDIT 2: Disabling the entire PCI device does not seem to be an option, as other devices reside on the same bus (USB…). Would this rule-out this method altogether?

EDIT 3, 5-19-19: I did somewhat get along. With another tool I got to decompile the .aml files. However as there wasn't any _OFF method at all (neither any _INI one), so I instead opted to use an alternation of this great @RehabMan guide.
The result is somewhat strange (see the About_this_Mac screenshot), but working non the less. BTW the result is identically to deleting IONDRVSupport.kext (on my non-GPU system), but it's update proof.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS X580VD
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD630 / GTX1050
Mobile Phone
Android
How to even check if the card has been successfully disabled?

Edit: Nevermind, this can be seen in IOregisteryExplorer.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX570
I had my laptop working perfectly under High Sierra (with thanks to Rehabman) but since I upgraded to Mojave I can not boot. It goes into a reboot loop. I was finally able to get a panic report which mentions Intel GPU so I though this might ne a GPU issue? (attached). I have also attached my Clover folder.

I have no idea why this is happening.

Attachments

Motherboard
Dell Precision M3800 16GB
CPU
i7-4712HQ
Graphics
K1100M + HD 4600
Mobile Phone
Android
Hi @RehabMan,
Hope you are fine and doing well.

Below is the configuration of my laptop:

Dell Precision M3800 Workstation
i7-4712HQ (Quad Core 2.30GHz, 3.3GHz)
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
Dual GPU Intel 4600 + Nvidia® Quadro® K1100M
15.6" UltraSharp™ UHD Touch (3840x2160) 4K LED
M.2 512gb
Crucial MX-300 1TB 2.5" SSD (using as external drive)

I have successful setup of macOS Mojave by reading your posts and guidelines. All works well but:

1. Graphics with acceleration
2. No WiFi through integrated Intel WiFi Adapter

If I use WhateverGreen's boot argument -wegnoegpu, should I still need this patching to disable discrete graphics Nvidia K1100M?

Well, I installed Mojave on Crucial 1TB SSD.

Tried to follow this guide and patched below two files but got no success to disable Nvidia and get accelerated display.

DSDT.dsl
SSDT-9-SgPeg.dsl

_OFF was in DSDT.dsl and _INI was in SSDT9.

Attached, herewith please find the relevant files and config.plist for your kind review.

UPDATE (2019-AUG-03):
I found a config.plist (config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist) from here:

With this, all works fine but:
- nothing shows on Laptop display (only on my Samsung TV through HDMI).

Screenshots and this new config.plist (named updated_config.plist) is attached for your kind review.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited: