Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Thanks for the information I will try this later when I have access to laptop. Can you please check my dsdt and explain why sleep and wake not working? I have followed your guide very carefully

Sleep/wake is off-topic here (this topic is for discrete graphics disable only).
Open a separate thread with details on sleep/wake problem and full PR files.

Hi, everyone.

i disabled DGPU with:

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "spoof", 0x00000000)
{
Method (_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
If (LNot (Arg2))
{
Return (Buffer (One)
{
0x03
})
}

Return (Package (0x06)
{
"name",
Buffer (0x09)
{
"#display"
},

"IOName",
"#display",
"class-code",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF
}
})
}
}

When display wake up after sleep, then i get black screen. One of the possible solution is to use _OFF/_ON (as i know).

If i try to call _OFF from _INI of PEGP device, then FAN starts to work very fast.

Can anybody help me to disable DGPU (1050TI) in proper way (to fix black screen after wake up, and normal FAN speed)?

Attachments

• ORIGINAL_ACPI.zip
    225.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi, everyone.

i disabled DGPU with:

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "spoof", 0x00000000)
{
    Method (_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
    {
        If (LNot (Arg2))
        {
            Return (Buffer (One)
            {
                 0x03                                        
            })
        }

Return (Package (0x06)
        {
            "name",
            Buffer (0x09)
            {
                "#display"
            },

"IOName",
            "#display",
            "class-code",
            Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF                      
            }
        })
    }
}

That does not disable the discrete GPU.
It only disables the driver, not the device.
For disabling the device itself, read post #1.

When display wake up after sleep, then i get black screen. One of the possible solution is to use _OFF/_ON (as i know).

Off-topic.
See here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

Sorry, RehabMan.
I spent two month on configuration of my new laptop - one of the most important thing is to disable DGPU (i just used spoofing (FAN is OK, but black screen), also tried to call _OFF in _INI/_REG and _ON/_OFF in _WAK and _PTS) - but as i said - FAN after login works like CRAZY! And i have problem with display after its wakes (black screen, only backlight). I need your help. (I am senior IT developer iOS/Windows/Backend - but i'm new to ACPI).

Dear Admin..

I have a problem to disable discrete graphics... I have Lenovo IdeaPad 310, I5, Intel 620 HD and Discrete Nvidia 960 MX.. I am still confused..until now still not understand how to disable it..please help me to disable discrete...many thanks in advance for helping me to solve it out my matter....

Sorry, RehabMan.
I spent two month on configuration of my new laptop - one of the most important thing is to disable DGPU (i just used spoofing (FAN is OK, but black screen), also tried to call _OFF in _INI/_REG and _ON/_OFF in _WAK and _PTS) - but as i said - FAN after login works like CRAZY! And i have problem with display after its wakes (black screen, only backlight). I need your help. (I am senior IT developer iOS/Windows/Backend - but i'm new to ACPI).
Which version of Mac you're using? Did you save the .dsl after you do patched at Decompile folder? I don't see any changes.

Sorry, RehabMan.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Dear Admin..

I have a problem to disable discrete graphics... I have Lenovo IdeaPad 310, I5, Intel 620 HD and Discrete Nvidia 960 MX.. I am still confused..until now still not understand how to disable it..please help me to disable discrete...many thanks in advance for helping me to solve it out my matter....

Read post #1.
If you have an issue...
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Which version of Mac you're using? Did you save the .dsl after you do patched at Decompile folder? I don't see any changes.

This is original ACPI w/o patches. For disabling DGPU i tried to call _SB.PCIO.PEG0.PEGP._OFF from _SB.PCIO_INI and _WAK and _SB.PCIO.PEG0.PEGP._ON from _PTS - GPU was disabled, but have problems described before.

Back