Contribute
Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Hello Mr, RehabMan
I have dell inspiron 5520 with 2 cards intel 4000 and amd 7670 and I followed your toturial but with no luck in disabling 7670 amd card.

I don't have this line \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.SPIN, so I didn't remove it from _OFF() method cause it doesn't exists.
also I didn't use this within _REG method
I just used the default
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF()

Thanks in advance.

None of the SSDTs you have in ACPI/patched are loading since they are not named in SortedOrder (looks like they are the wrong files, as they are not the result of Clover F4 extraction)

ACPI/origin is not complete (you forgot to press F4 in Clover).
No further advice can be given.

None of the SSDTs you have in ACPI/patched are loading since they are not named in SortedOrder (looks like they are the wrong files, as they are not the result of Clover F4 extraction)

ACPI/origin is not complete (you forgot to press F4 in Clover).
No further advice can be given.

OK I fixed the issue, thank you
now the amd graphics card is turned off

But I have 2 more issues:
1- machine goes to sleep as normal, but when try to wake up using power button it automatically restarts instead of just wake up.
2- when doing manual restart from apple logo, it seems that laptop's fan not stopping, but when turn off the machine and then turn on again fan works as normal.

There are the patches I used within my dsdt file:
[audio] Audio Layout 12
[Igpu] Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)
[Igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
[Misc] Remove _PRW from LID
[Sys] Fix TNOT Error
[Sys] Add IMEI
[Sys] Add MCHC
[Sys] Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel
[Sys] Fix PNOT/PPNT
[Sys] HPET fix
[Sys] IRQ fix
[Sys] SMBUS fix
[usb] 7-series/8-series USB
[usb] USB3 _PRW(0x0D) and rename XHC to XHC1

I also need to know if there are more further optimizations I can do with more patches to dsdt file.
You can find the required files at attachments.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• patchmatic.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IORegistryExplorer.zip
    504 KB · Views: 91
  • acpiplat.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 106
  • appleintelcpu.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 109
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
OK I fixed the issue, thank you
now the amd graphics card is turned off

But I have 2 more issues:
1- machine goes to sleep as normal, but when try to wake up using power button it automatically restarts instead of just wake up.
2- when doing manual restart from apple logo, it seems that laptop's fan not stopping, but when turn off the machine and then turn on again fan works as normal.

There are the patches I used within my dsdt file:
[audio] Audio Layout 12
[Igpu] Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)
[Igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
[Misc] Remove _PRW from LID
[Sys] Fix TNOT Error
[Sys] Add IMEI
[Sys] Add MCHC
[Sys] Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel
[Sys] Fix PNOT/PPNT
[Sys] HPET fix
[Sys] IRQ fix
[Sys] SMBUS fix
[usb] 7-series/8-series USB
[usb] USB3 _PRW(0x0D) and rename XHC to XHC1

I also need to know if there are more further optimizations I can do with more patches to dsdt file.
You can find the required files at attachments.
Thanks in advance.

You did not implement power management.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

Also, you should not have dynamic SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
And you didn't patch ACPI correctly. For example, no evidence of any "OS Check Fix" patch...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

You did not implement power management.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

Also, you should not have dynamic SSDTs in ACPI/patched.
And you didn't patch ACPI correctly. For example, no evidence of any "OS Check Fix" patch...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Now I have solved the second issue which is:

But first issue regarding wake up from sleep deosn't seems to be solved yet.
I implement power management and verified that by making sure that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded under the CPU0 node.

Also I added the suggested patch "OS Check Fix" patch".

Also I want to note that I take the ssdts generated by ssdtPRGen.sh and replaced all prev ssdts with those and graphics card still turned off.
So need to know what is the diffrence between ssdts files generated using Clover F4 method and the ones generated using ssdtPRGen.sh method.

The new files attached below.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • patchmatic.zip
    23 KB · Views: 104
  • IORegistryExplorer.zip
    504.1 KB · Views: 114
  • acpiplat.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 99
  • appleintelcpu.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 100
Now I have solved the second issue which is:

But first issue regarding wake up from sleep deosn't seems to be solved yet.
I implement power management and verified that by making sure that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded under the CPU0 node.

Also I added the suggested patch "OS Check Fix" patch".

Also I want to note that I take the ssdts generated by ssdtPRGen.sh and replaced all prev ssdts with those and graphics card still turned off.
So need to know what is the diffrence between ssdts files generated using Clover F4 method and the ones generated using ssdtPRGen.sh method.

Off-topic.
Open a separate thread.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I have a Toshiba L50-B-14P and I'm trying to disable my AMD videocard for a couple of days now, but it just won't work.

Can you please help me with it.

Everything else (except the sound card) is working, but my battery is drowning and the laptop is getting really warm because of the discrete videocard.

I have attached the contents needed in my post.

Well, given up on this a couple of moths ago and picked it up again yesterday.

I've found the _INI is SSDT7 and called the off method. But when I try to boot my laptop with dropoem=true than the boot will halt after some time. What can be the problem?

Well, given up on this a couple of moths ago and picked it up again yesterday.

I've found the _INI is SSDT7 and called the off method. But when I try to boot my laptop with dropoem=true than the boot will halt after some time. What can be the problem?

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Well. Tried to add the _OFF() method in the INI in SSDT7, but when I enable dropoem=true my system won't boot (even with no patches), I get this screen:
K5sa79V.jpg

I try to disable my AMD videocard and correct the CPU so that my laptop will not heat up as much as he does now (and for battery saving).

I even tried added a SSDT created by that .sh script, I don't remember that name.

My laptop:
Toshiba Satellite L50-b-14p
4th generation Intel ® Core ™ i7-4500U
12GB RAM
AMD Radeon™ R7 M260 Graphics
Intel HD4400 videocard

Can you provide me with any tips?

Attachments

• Archief.zip
    2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Well. Tried to add the _OFF() method in the INI in SSDT7, but when I enable dropoem=true my system won't boot (even with no patches), I get this screen:
K5sa79V.jpg

I try to disable my AMD videocard and correct the CPU so that my laptop will not heat up as much as he does now (and for battery saving).

I even tried added a SSDT created by that .sh script, I don't remember that name.

Can you provide me with any tips?

Your ACPI setup is wrong. As per ACPI patching guide, dynamic SSDTs should not be in ACPI/patched.

Also, you have unbalanced renames because you didn't rename GFX0->IGPU in the SSDTs you have in ACPI/patched. You have a patch for GFX0->IGPU in your config.plist, but it only applies to ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml.

I think I did it correctly. Is there a way for me to make sure it actually stopped my GeForce from running?

Back