Register

[Guide] Disabling discrete graphics in dual-GPU laptops

Motherboard
Asus UX510UW
CPU
Intel i7 7500U
Graphics
Intel HD 620 + nvidia GF GTX 960M
Ah, I think I got it by using an external declaration for HGOF. now it boots with all the patched DSDT and SSDT. how can I check if the discrete graphics is indeed disabled?

Also, the backlight controls still do not work... I hoped that it would be fixed when using iGPU in DSDT, do you maybe have a clue?

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, do you know if I should also use the "misc_Skylake-LPC" patch too, as my laptop has a Kaby Lake CPU?

Debatable. Some evidence that AppleLPC is not required with Skylake and later.
Experiment for yourself.

And is it correct to use the "usb_prw_0x6d_xhc_skl" patch instead of the one without skl, as I'm using SKL drivers for my HD620?

It actually has nothing to do with graphics drivers, but the answer is "yes".

When I try to move HGOF from _OFF to _REG (DSDT) I get a compiling error for the line in _REG calling HGOF "Object does not exist (\_SB.PCI0.HGOF)"...

You do not move the entire HGOF. As per guide, you should only move the EC related code from HGOF to _REG.
Read the guide carefully.
Make sure you understand the example files completely before moving on to your own.

Motherboard
Asus UX510UW
CPU
Intel i7 7500U
Graphics
Intel HD 620 + nvidia GF GTX 960M
Okay, I did the whole thing again from the beginning, but this time only moved the EC related content from HGOF to _REG. I also only deleted one line in DSDT: "BNUM, 8," which always causes an error when compiling DSDT.

Now I get compiling errors for DSDT, SSDT-0, SSDT-12 and SSDT-14 (see attached screenshots).
The DSDT errors came up after moving the EC related lines from HGOF to _REG, the SSDT-0 errors after using the _PSS placeholders patch on SSDT-0, the SSDT-12 errors are shown even before patching the file and SSDT-14 (which contains HGOF) shows an error after removing the EC stuff from HGOF.
Can I just remove the lines causing the errors or is there any patch for those errors?

Attachments

• DSDT patched.zip
    115.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Compiling errors.zip
    162.9 KB · Views: 94

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I also only deleted one line in DSDT: "BNUM, 8," which always causes an error when compiling DSDT.

Wrong fix. You should remove the External(BNUM, ...) line instead.

Now I get compiling errors for DSDT, SSDT-0, SSDT-12 and SSDT-14 (see attached screenshots).

You have to move the EC related code, including any manipulations of local variables.
Requires you to analyze the code there and make the edited code and the code you move to _REG to accomplish the same thing it used to...
Looks like what you did doesn't make any sense.

Motherboard
Acer Aspire 5750G + Clover Legacy
CPU
Intel Core i3-2310M/HM65
Graphics
HD3000, 1366x768 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi.
I did tried with the attached files and it went good, but with mine i couldn't really do it... i couldn't do it... could you please help me?

Attachments

• Aldo’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    5.8 MB · Views: 99
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • RehabMan.zip
    22 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.12.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.12.16 PM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 131

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi.
I did tried with the attached files and it went good, but with mine i couldn't really do it... i couldn't do it... could you please help me?

According to your ioreg, there is no discrete graphics device present (maybe you disabled it in BIOS).

Motherboard
Acer Aspire 5750G + Clover Legacy
CPU
Intel Core i3-2310M/HM65
Graphics
HD3000, 1366x768 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
According to your ioreg, there is no discrete graphics device present (maybe you disabled it in BIOS).
I Just saw my bios and yes. it is disabled... i didn't noticed...
Does this mean that if i disabled it in BIOS i don't need this patch?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does this mean that if i disabled it in BIOS i don't need this patch?

Correct.
This guide is so you can enable it in BIOS, use the device in Windows, but disable it when running macOS/OS X.

Motherboard
MSI GS65 8SE
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I tried following this guide to disable my GTX765m but no success. Before I try to disable it, is it possible to use the Nvidia graphics for HDMI, DisplayPort video output or it won't work? All the video output (except the laptop display) goes to the Nvidia graphics.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried following this guide to disable my GTX765m but no success. Before I try to disable it, is it possible to use the Nvidia graphics for HDMI, DisplayPort video output or it won't work? All the video output (except the laptop display) goes to the Nvidia graphics.

This guide is not for you. This guide is only for dual-GPU switched/routed configurations (eg. like Nvidia Optimus).