Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS13-9360 (2016) Sierra-10.12.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a tool called Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit. This thread might also help you: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/49tx7v/guide_for_dumping_your_bios_and_extracting_dvmt/

HI I'm begiging the process to install osx on my xps13 9360 but im stuck on the DVMT setup. I follow this guides:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...etting-dvmt-in-insydeh20-bios-laptops.165104/

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/49tx7v/guide_for_dumping_your_bios_and_extracting_dvmt/

1) when I extract the dell bios file (from website) either with phoenix tools or IFR extractor I don't see the DXE core folder
2) When I use universal BIos backup2 to dump my BIOS i get an .rom file. I open it with phoenix tools and then I can see the DXE Core Folder but when I look for the FE3542FE entry , its not there. It's possible that this file can have another name?

note: im running as admin, and have windows defender disabled.

Thank you

2) When I use universal BIos backup2 to dump my BIOS i get an .rom file. I open it with phoenix tools and then I can see the DXE Core Folder but when I look for the FE3542FE entry , its not there. It's possible that this file can have another name?

Yes, it is possible for the correct file to be named differently. I suggest ordering all files by size and then trying each one in the Universal IFR Extractor, starting with the biggest and moving your way down until you find one that has Protocol: UEFI and is able to be extracted.

If you are just starting out, I recommend this guide instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...a-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/. It is very well written, goes into a lot of detail, and is a much better starting point than this thread.

Yes, it is possible for the correct file to be named differently. I suggest ordering all files by size and then trying each one in the Universal IFR Extractor, starting with the biggest and moving your way down until you find one that has Protocol: UEFI and is able to be extracted.

If you are just starting out, I recommend this guide instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...a-10-12-x-lts-long-term-support-guide.213141/. It is very well written, goes into a lot of detail, and is a much better starting point than this thread.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll give it a try tonight an I'll report baclk with my results. It was driving me mad no to find the exact file.
About bozma88's guide, I have been reading it, and actually i did a quick "test" install as per his method, but hey, I try to check all the sources and learn from everyone...

I'll post later with my quest for the DVMT settings...

Hi I did as you suggested, I triyed each file bigger than 50k on IFR extractor,I got aout 9 that gave me the "UEFI protocol" green sign. Of all those just one had de DVMT settings. The name of the file is 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21_387 so it has really nothing to do with the FE3542FE.... that its pointed on the guides. I thinked I had succeed, but inspecting the variables I found 3 strange things:
1. the values are not on order
2. there's no "MB" after each value, just "M"
3. There's no 96 option.
so my guess is that is something really wrong with this, . sorry to keep asking you, but htis goes beyond me. maybe I ask on Kinusk thread also...

I'm attaching relevant screen shots in case you have a minute to look at them . I'll be grateful if you could point me on the rigth direction.

View media item 188850View media item 188851View media item 188852View media item 188856

Last edited:
Nope, you're on the right track. In the file you extracted you should see "DVMT Pre-Allocated, Variable: 0x___" and under that a bunch of options. 64M works great for this laptop, which has value 0x2 in my bios. So I would use
setup_var 0x___ 0x2

in the modified uefi shell

Nope, you're on the right track. In the file you extracted you should see "DVMT Pre-Allocated, Variable: 0x___" and under that a bunch of options. 64M works great for this laptop, which has value 0x2 in my bios. So I would use
setup_var 0x___ 0x2

in the modified uefi shell
Yes, i see the variable, in may case its 0x785 0x2 wich matches my 64M (not Mb, just M) entry. So I will give it a try like this I only wanted to be shure as 1) syntax its important on code 2) don't want to brick the mobo!
I will try this setting and I'll report back . If I succed I'll make also a note on Kinuk's thread for other looking for that peasky FE3542FE... file. Thanks again

Just checking back. I did aplied the variable change on the UEFI shell and I got a "GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it neverthless" message. But the changed proceeded.I saw no change in windows but Rehabman said that there's not a true way to see the values in windows so verifyed it as ReHabMan stated typing setup_var 0x18C on the UEFI shell and the change was reflected there. So I guess i succeded...
May these serve as reference for others worried looking for exact name files on the BIOS dump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back