Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Monterey OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been trying to upgrade to Ventura since beta 1 and nothing but errors and blackscreen....can't get past boot. the real version just got released, can this notebook even be upgraded to Ventura? Anybody have any luck at all?
The best way is to update your EFI using OCAuxiliaryTools to any OC version later than 0.8.3. Make sure to update the KEXTS as well as the OC and Boot folders in the EFI using the tool. I am running Ventura 13.1 (beta) with no issues.

The best way is to update your EFI using OCAuxiliaryTools to any OC version later than 0.8.3. Make sure to update the KEXTS as well as the OC and Boot folders in the EFI using the tool. I am running Ventura 13.1 (beta) with no issues.
If you don't mind, could you please share your config.plist? (Feel free to scrub out the serial etc...)

Still having issues with the shutdown/restart panic and although I double checked my config, I'm wondering if there's something I missed. My EFI folder was working fine in Monterey before the upgrade to Ventura.

Since you seem to be having no issues, I thought I'd ask so I can compare. Would really appreciate it. :)

If you don't mind, could you please share your config.plist? (Feel free to scrub out the serial etc...)

Still having issues with the shutdown/restart panic and although I double checked my config, I'm wondering if there's something I missed. My EFI folder was working fine in Monterey before the upgrade to Ventura.

Since you seem to be having no issues, I thought I'd ask so I can compare. Would really appreciate it. :)
Sharing my config.plist would be problematic because there will be differences depending on which OC version and whether you are using 1080 or 4K display. Make sure you use OCAuxiliaryTools to check you config.plist and it matches the requirements for the OC version you are using. I am using OC 0.8.6 (dev) version.

Sharing my config.plist would be problematic because there will be differences depending on which OC version and whether you are using 1080 or 4K display. Make sure you use OCAuxiliaryTools to check you config.plist and it matches the requirements for the OC version you are using. I am using OC 0.8.6 (dev) version.
I have the 4k display but I'm aware of the changes between the 1080p and 4k configs so I'm not sure if it's really a huge issue.

I did use OCAT - no errors detected on 0.8.5. I'll try with 0.8.6 dev and see if there's any improvement.

Last edited:
I have the 4k display but I'm aware of the changes between the 1080p and 4k configs so I'm not sure if it's really a huge issue.

I did use OCAT - no errors detected on 0.8.5. I'll try with 0.8.6 dev and see if there's any improvement.
My 9560 has the 1080p display.

ty for the reply, ill take that advice and update my OC to the latest and use OCAuxiliaryTools.

My 9560 has the 1080p display.
Your reply actually helped me out in the end.

It got me thinking of the touchscreen (Because your system does not have one and you experience no issues) and I looked into the voodooI2C and voodooI2CHID kexts...

I looked around on Google and found:
Looks like the last update to that thread was in August.

I tentatively disabled the voodooI2CHID kext and the shutdown kernel panic disappeared.

So, no touchscreen is not the end of the world perhaps but without voodooI2CHID the touchpad is hot garbage. Inputs can be jerky but the gestures are almost unusable. 2 finger scrolling works OK (Some jerkiness) but the 3-4 finger swipe (Swiping up and also left<->right) barely works and the pinch gesture does not work at all.

So no more kernel panics but also a bad experience with the touchpad... I'll update if I find a solution in the meantime but I may end up just reverting to Monteray because that was flawless.

got it working. just havin trouble waking from sleep and it keeeps telling me there was an error on my last shut down. Im on OC 0.8.6

got it working. just havin trouble waking from sleep and it keeeps telling me there was an error on my last shut down. Im on OC 0.8.6
I was getting sleep mode errors too. So I disabled all sleep mode settings (it's a bit different in Ventura). Just using a screen saver until someone else can figure it out.

This is almost definitely an issue with VoodooI2C and our USB-mapped touchscreen, as @Benni outlined above. I've seen similar issues on other machines of mine during Ventura testing, though I've yet to try on my XPS. I suspect we will need an update to VoodooI2C to resolve. I recommend staying on Monterey for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back