Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Monterey OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off topic for this thread. If you are legacy booting Windows and Linux, it's possible your disk partitions are not set up correctly for OpenCore. OpenCore does not support legacy boot. You would need to either convert your Windows/Linux installs to UEFI or stick with an alternate bootloader.
Thanks. I just figured that if you had mentioned it in your OP guide, you are knowledgeable. They're both UEFI and I had been using Clover.

I basically have the same laptop as you do. Also replaced the WiFi card with DW1860. But since the upgrade I have two issues I could not get around:
  1. The USB-C connected external monitor no longer work. The port on the external monitor is also USB-C
  2. Airdrop work one way: only iPhone to Mac works, Mac to iPhone does not. Handoff, universal clipboard all do not work.
Have you managed to get the above things work?

I basically have the same laptop as you do. Also replaced the WiFi card with DW1860. But since the upgrade I have two issues I could not get around:
  1. The USB-C connected external monitor no longer work. The port on the external monitor is also USB-C
  2. Airdrop work one way: only iPhone to Mac works, Mac to iPhone does not. Handoff, universal clipboard all do not work.
Mine worked fine for 4K/60 Hz running a TB16 dock with DP out. Not sure if that's a good comparison.

Mine worked fine for 4K/60 Hz running a TB16 dock with DP out. Not sure if that's a good comparison.

DP port probably is the one making the difference. I'll try to get a DP to USB-C connection if there is something like that out there

Thank you InsaneCultist!
I put off upgrading OC and Big Sur for too long and finally took the plunge. Everything was fairly smooth.

Off topic but might be relevant:

Just a quick note to anyone using Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable backups. Since Big Sur, the process for making bootable backups on another drive has changed and you need to use the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant to do the same task. The main difference seems to be that now, you cannot do incremental backups if you want that disk to be bootable - it will wipe the drive and then copy everything. I know that modern drives are pretty good at tolerating a lot of writes but if each backup means >400GB being written every time, that's not great.

Like a complete newbie, I tried to do a regular bootable backup of my startup disk to an external drive and then spent days trying to work out why the external drive was no longer booting... After spending too much time trying to troubleshoot, I checked the blog section of CCC and found this entry:

Last edited:
I have good news in that I got Monterey 12.4 to work. However, after I upgraded OC to 0.8.1 and my kexts with OCAuxiliary Tools, my 4K external monitor wouldn't connect, either using DP via my TB16 dock or directly by HDMI.

Reverting to my backed-up 0.8.0 EFI folder fixed it. Can you experts suggest anything I should check, or should I just leave it? I had found a discussion suggesting that agdpmod was the issue, but those are the same in my old and new config.plists.

I have good news in that I got Monterey 12.4 to work. However, after I upgraded OC to 0.8.1 and my kexts with OCAuxiliary Tools, my 4K external monitor wouldn't connect, either using DP via my TB16 dock or directly by HDMI.

Reverting to my backed-up 0.8.0 EFI folder fixed it. Can you experts suggest anything I should check, or should I just leave it? I had found a discussion suggesting that agdpmod was the issue, but those are the same in my old and new config.plists.
agdpmod has no relevance on your laptop

I installed the Dell XPS 9560 without question, but why does the internet slow down when I plug in a type c usb hub, what could be the reason?

My wifi card :

TP-Link TL-WN725N​

Where is the problem ?

I installed the Dell XPS 9560 without question, but why does the internet slow down when I plug in a type c usb hub, what could be the reason?

My wifi card :

TP-Link TL-WN725N​

Where is the problem ?
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

I also use my laptop daily so I needed to get both of my HDMI output and USB-C to Displayport working. I needed to update a few boot parameters. Also, I noticed that my WIFI wasn't full speed. I have a DW 1830 and needed to add a flag for increasing speeds.

The only apparent problem I have at the moment is my HDMI out is limited to 3840x2160 @30hz. I'd like this to be @60hz but not sure how to get it there yet. I'm not 100% sure if the Whatever flags are needed for 4k but it helped me and I needed my machine up and running as soon as possible with both screens.

I thought this may help others.

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
# Added to boot-args
`-cdfon -igfxmpc -igfxhdmidivs brcmfx-country=#a`

## Explaination
```
# Whatevergreen flags
-cdfon (and enable-hdmi20 property) to enable HDMI 2.0 patches
-igfxmpc boot argument (enable-max-pixel-clock-override and max-pixel-clock-frequency properties) to increase max pixel clock (as an alternative to patching CoreDisplay.framework).
-igfxhdmidivs boot argument (and enable-hdmi-dividers-fix property) to fix the infinite loop on establishing Intel HDMI connections with a higher pixel clock rate on SKL, KBL and CFL platforms.
```

# Enables 867Mbps speeds
`brcmfx-country=#a`
Thank you for sharing your info. Can you please tell me if you are having issues with Bluetooth on your DW1830?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back