Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Monterey OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for carrying the torch @InsaneCultist

Wanted to drop in see how everyone is doing. I honestly can see this laptop going a few more years easy. I hadn't used this laptop since whenever I posted the last update and it was just to update it. Last week I wiped and gave this laptop to my sister who is very happy with it.

I skimmed the thread and saw you guys are having problems with HDMI audio and FakePCIID. I looked into this before b/c it has been long deprecated and should be done via device properties. I can't remember why I stopped besides that FakePCIID still worked.

IIRC the main problem is the custom patches in the framebuffer. Due to this, WEG doesn't rename the device from displayport to hdmi which is necessary for audio. Here is a snippet of the WEG FAQ and part I am talking about.

Digital Audio (HDMI / DVI / DP)​

To enable digital audio it is necessary to set the hda-gfx properties and patches the connectors.
To enable audio in general and HDMI in particular use WEG along with AppleALC.kext. AppleALC automatically injects missing hda-gfx properties.
On 10.10.5 and above, WEG automatically changes the connector-type of DP (00040000) to HDMI (00080000), only if not used Custom patching. Physical connection may be of any type (HDMI, DVI, DP), but for the digital audio connector-type must explicitly be HDMI.
So the end game to this would be to ensure that the port is showing up as HDMI (00080000)

Unfortunately I can no longer test this but I downloaded your EFI and took a look at the config. Forgive me if I missed other fixes that may change what I propose for a fix.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.53.53 PM.png

See where the framebuffer-con-x are, there are 2 connections, likely 1 is the internal display and 2 is hdmi out. I do however remember something being weird about this way our con-x was laid out. What you want to try is adding
framebuffer-con2-type data <00080000>

I have attached the plist from the guide but with this change to con2, give it a try. If it doesn't work try the change on con1. Obviously disable all fakepciid etc

Attachments

• config-TestHDMI.plist
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
If you can't boot with the original supplied but the OP here, there's something else going on.

What is your exact behavior you're getting? Do you see the Apple logo? do you see a progress bar (even empty)?
Black screen and the ssd external disk stop blinking/working.

This behaviour caused with this OP, with the older EFI and BigSur everything working except the card + fingerprint

Last edited:
Black screen and the ssd external disk stop blinking/working.

This behaviour caused with this OP, with the older EFI and BigSur everything working except the card + fingerprint
I would put money on the MSR lock. Use the VerifyMsrE2 tool to validate that you get an MSR UNLOCKED message before proceeding.

FYI, after I unlocked mine, I had to do a full shutdown of the laptop before I was able to boot with the USB.

Which specific variables need to be modified for undervolting? None of the variables have undervolting in their names. Thanks!

I would put money on the MSR lock. Use the VerifyMsrE2 tool to validate that you get an MSR UNLOCKED message before proceeding.

FYI, after I unlocked mine, I had to do a full shutdown of the laptop before I was able to boot with the USB.
thank you, Il report back

@InsaneCultist The SSDT-USBP.aml should also work for the 14,1 setup? If I understood that correctly.

Why do you prefer 14,3?

@blazinsmokey yes that seems to work. Tried it with this (EDID is my own extracted):
Code:
<key>AAPL00,override-no-connect</key>
<data>AP///////wBNEFMUAAAAACgZAQSlIxN4Dt5Qo1RMmSYPUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBGjaAoHA4H0AwIDUAWsIQAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/gAxMjAzTYFMUTE1Nk0xAAAAAAACQQMoABIAAAoBCiAgAEo=</data>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>G1kAAA==</data>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AAAbWQ==</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>enable-hdmi-dividers-fix</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>enable-hdmi20</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>enable-lspcon-support</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>enable-max-pixel-clock-override</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>force-online</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-alldata</key>
<data>AQUKAAAIAACHAQAAAwYKAAAEAACHAQAA/wAAAAEAAAAgAAAA</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-has-lspcon</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con1-preferred-lspcon-mode</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-busid</key>
<data>BAAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-type</key>
<data>AAgAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-con2-index</key>
<data>AgAAAA==</data>

Last edited:
Also this should be added to the combo jack script:
Bash:
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/bin/ComboJack

Hello friends,
I own a Dell XPS 15 9560, everything the same with OP (Including Broadcom BCM94352Z) except I have the 1080p FHD display, and a Toshiba thnsn5512gpuk 512gb NVMe SSD.

Do you think I will be able to proceed given the difference in display and SSD?

Hello friends,
I own a Dell XPS 15 9560, everything the same with OP (Including Broadcom BCM94352Z) except I have the 1080p FHD display, and a Toshiba thnsn5512gpuk 512gb NVMe SSD.

Do you think I will be able to proceed given the difference in display and SSD?
I also have a similar system. The config.list supplied by the OP will not complete the boot process because of the different OC settings needed for the 1920x1080 display.
Several changes in the config.list need to be made:
1. UIScale should be <01>
2. The DeviceProperties for the integrated graphics (PciRoot(0x0/PCI(0x2,0x0) and it's children should be for the 1920x1080 display and match the values originally given by @blazinsmokey's XPS 9560 guide for Big Sur.

I have attached my working config.plist with those changes, but have removed my PlatformInfo values. The system product name MacBookPro14,3 should work well with your own MLB, SystemProductName, and SystemUUID values.

I have added -v to the NVRAM boot-args so you can see what's happening during boot. You will need to rename the file to config.plist for it to work.

Attachments

• config.plist.1920x1080.plist
    38.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back