Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Monterey OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks! Thanks InsaneCultist for the guide, it's worked a treat for me and really revitalised my XPS 15 which felt increasingly turgid in Windows 11. I'm currently awaiting a replacement WiFi M.2 card, but otherwise the only issue I'm having is removing the need for the USB key to be inserted to boot.

Looking at the guide, these bits seem relevant:
  • as of OC 0.6.6, you can boot OpenCore.efi directly as a UEFI application
  • If you do not wish to modify your UEFI, you can enable the "AppleXcpmCfgLock" quirk in OpenCore to bypass the MSR lock.
That sounds preferable to mucking about with the UEFI, so are there directions anywhere for accomplishing these two things? I have looked through the generic OpenCore documentation and this thread, but I didn't spot any details for this - I assume I'll need to enter the Dell BIOS, add a new bit to the boot menu pointing at the EFI partition, is that correct? And do I enable the quirk using the USB boot initially?

Apologies if I've missed a bit where this has been all detailed!

Hi folks! Thanks InsaneCultist for the guide, it's worked a treat for me and really revitalised my XPS 15 which felt increasingly turgid in Windows 11. I'm currently awaiting a replacement WiFi M.2 card, but otherwise the only issue I'm having is removing the need for the USB key to be inserted to boot.

• If you do not wish to modify your UEFI, you can enable the "AppleXcpmCfgLock" quirk in OpenCore to bypass the MSR lock.
That sounds preferable to mucking about with the UEFI, so are there directions anywhere for accomplishing these two things? I have looked through the generic OpenCore documentation and this thread, but I didn't spot any details for this - I assume I'll need to enter the Dell BIOS, add a new bit to the boot menu pointing at the EFI partition, is that correct? And do I enable the quirk using the USB boot initially?

OC.jpg

In OCAuxiliary Tools...

post 1 mentions it is not necessary if you don't want to do it :)

So I've added OpenCore.efi to the boot menu, so I don't need the USB any more - result!

I tried an eGPU that I had lying around (Cooler Master EG200 + RX 6600 XT) but no joy getting it to work under macOS - I don't suppose anyone else has tried an eGPU with an XPS hackintosh? I didn't expect it would work, but I wonder if it's possible...

So I've added OpenCore.efi to the boot menu, so I don't need the USB any more - result!

I tried an eGPU that I had lying around (Cooler Master EG200 + RX 6600 XT) but no joy getting it to work under macOS - I don't suppose anyone else has tried an eGPU with an XPS hackintosh? I didn't expect it would work, but I wonder if it's possible...

The Thunderbolt implementation here has gone through several iterations, mostly in the Big Sur guide, but has never been perfect. In my experience, TB3 devices must be attached when the system is powered off and then must be booted with the device attached. I personally do not have an eGPU, but the above statement is necessary to use my Dell Thunderbolt Dock.

The initial post here was made quite some time ago. Once VoodooI2C is fixed for our touchscreens, I will test out Ventura and will post a new guide in the coming months. It seems you got your issue sorted, though. Hope it is working well for you.

Hello. After updating FeatureUnlock.kext to 1.1.0 version it stop providing unnessary patches. Now i dont have Night Shift. My smbios is MacbookPro1. I went to OpenCore Guide and apply this:
  • Kernel -> Quirk -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> True
  • PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Custom
Now my model is MacbookPro14.3 and ive got night shift back.

Also my screen icon in display settings looks like tv. About this mac saying its internal. After applying above to config display icon is still tv.

Hello. After updating FeatureUnlock.kext to 1.1.0 version it stop providing unnessary patches. Now i dont have Night Shift. My smbios is MacbookPro1. I went to OpenCore Guide and apply this:
Now my model is MacbookPro14.3 and ive got night shift back.

Also my screen icon in display settings looks like tv. About this mac saying its internal. After applying above to config display icon is still tv.
yes, all Dell laptops require:

MacbookPro14.1 would be a better choice of SMBIOS

MacbookPro14.1 would be a better choice of SMBIOS
Thank you. Any reasons for it? I remember MacbookPro14.1 doesnt need NoTouchID.kext. Ive heard that it has Core Graphics and Animation acceleration. Plus less problems with dedicated GPU which we dont have. Is it true and worth doing?

If anyone wants to change SMBIOS and recreate Serial Number be aware - macOS treats it as if you put your storage device in another Mac wiping out all user data. Once i ran into this, so please make a backup.

It's stated in post #1 that 14,1 is a better SMBIOS. In principal, this is a better choice because the machine operates on iGPU, (14,3 machines have a dGPU which we disable due to no support) and we are using CPUFriend to redirect Frequency Vectors anyway. The only reason I keep 14,3 is because I have had it for so long and do not wish to modify the SMBIOS due to iMessage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back