Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB16 dock progress to date:

MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina -- used files from https://github.com/jardenliu
SMBIOS MacBookPro14,1
Dock firmware updated from Windows 10
BIOS 1.19.2 (afraid to update to 1.21.0, please advise)
Wifi with USB dongle

In BIOS, turned off Thunderbolt boot support (both boxes), turned on Wake on Dell USB-C Dock

DP video always working, both USB-C to DP and DP to DP, 4K@60Hz

SSDT-TB3.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

System Integrity Protection disabled
Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext in L/E from the binary

Ran:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext
sudo chmod -R g-w,o-w /Library/Extensions/Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext
sudo kextcache -i
sudo nvram -d t3u-incompatible
sudo kextload -b es.govost.ryan.Thunderbolt3Unblocker

Later ran from /L/E:
sudo chown -R root:wheel Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext
sudo kextload Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext
sudo kextcache -i /

Worked after reboot, even USB 3 hub and a USB 2 hub daisy-chained from it.

Put to sleep with dock button and disconnected power.

Next day, USB ports not working. Rebooted, still not working.

Ran both:
and
in Terminal, think one of them did the trick

Reboot, USB ports working again (I may have also done the unplugging/replugging described below)

About This Mac/System Report/Thunderbolt shows nothing, dock appears as a USB2807 hub

Logitech M705 mouse works when receiver plugged into daisy-chained hub, but not seen by Logitech Control Center in prefs

Rebooted into Windows, USB ports worked
Rebooted into Catalina, not working

Ran:
sudo kextcache -i /

Rebooted, didn't work

Ran:
sudo kextcache -i /

kextcache output:
Kext with invalid signature (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9ac470d590 [0x7fff854f4cc0]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext/", ID = "es.govost.ryan.Thunderbolt3Unblocker" }
KernelCache ID: CA666D76F16214B3D5F5A6B17C091FF3
Kext with invalid signature (-67050) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fd0b6e1f1b0 [0x7fff854f4cc0]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/Thunderbolt3Unblocker.kext/", ID = "es.govost.ryan.Thunderbolt3Unblocker" }

USB ports still not working, so I did what was demanded in the Windows firmware update instructions:

1) unplug dock from TB port
2) unplug power to dock
3) wait 15 sec (not in the instructions, but seems like a good idea)
4) connect power
5) connect to TB port

Working again!

Remaining to test:
HDMI
Ethernet
Hot plugging

I don't know enough to know whether all three Terminal commands need to be run and in which order, so I'd appreciate it if someone could explain and save me some more trials.

Last edited:
Simpler!

Booted into Win 10, everything worked. Hot booted into MacOS, video out worked, USB didn't.

Did nothing in Terminal, just:

1) unplug dock from TB port
2) unplug power to dock
3) wait 15 sec (not in the instructions, but seems like a good idea)
4) connect power
5) connect to TB port

...and USB is now working!

The plugging/unplugging after rebooting has worked twice more to get USB to work, doing nothing in the terminal.

Ethernet works. HDMI did not, but my cable is sketchy. Again, DP works all of the time, with power always being fed to the laptop.

The plugging/unplugging after rebooting has worked twice more to get USB to work, doing nothing in the terminal.

Ethernet works. HDMI did not, but my cable is sketchy. Again, DP works all of the time, with power always being fed to the laptop.
Thanks for your help, I'll see if i can get it working!

@umbjm first off way to go on testing and trying things. Thanks for continuing the effort.

I got a couple questions. Is your TB16 dock using latest firmware? I read long ago that it had a firmware that made it Mac compatible or something. Also can you upload your EFI(minus serial if you're worried) so I can take a look. Are you still spoofing the port as a removable PCI Express card?

I remember looking at thunderboltunblocker before and it was to get IOThunderboltFamily to load, IIRC you can get it to load without the kext. I've gotten quite bored with open core and big sur, it's almost flawless minus TB of couse, if you ever move up to big sur or decide on using open core the new guide should work for Catalina as well.

Hi blazinsmokey,

Yes, I'm using the latest firmware, updated in Win10. I am not using the latest BIOS (1.19.2 and afraid to update to 1.21.0, please advise).

A few more notes:
1) Kernel panics on startup/shutdown have occurred ~4x in 50 reboots, so I can live with that.
2) At night, I turn off my ext monitor (4K@60Hz) connected by DP, then let the Dell go to sleep on its own. The next morning, I turn on the monitor and wake up the laptop. I've only had difficulty getting the ext monitor connected a couple of times, but since power cycling the monitor fixes it the problems likely belong to the monitor.
3) I'm trying to get sound to work better. Laptop speakers work fine; however, connecting headphones thru either the laptop jack or the dock jack work, but with balance issues--to get much output, I have to set the balance hard left or right in the Sound CP. I've tried VoodooHDA and most recently this:
...but neither has fixed it. I would appreciate it if you could provide any sound recommendations after looking at my attached EFI folder (all serials changed).

Again, thanks for all you've done. This was much easier than my first Hackintosh experience ~7 years ago.

Attachments

• EFI backup Jan2021 no serial for tonymac umbjm.zip
    44 MB · Views: 106
Hi blazinsmokey,

Yes, I'm using the latest firmware, updated in Win10. I am not using the latest BIOS (1.19.2 and afraid to update to 1.21.0, please advise).

A few more notes:
1) Kernel panics on startup/shutdown have occurred ~4x in 50 reboots, so I can live with that.
2) At night, I turn off my ext monitor (4K@60Hz) connected by DP, then let the Dell go to sleep on its own. The next morning, I turn on the monitor and wake up the laptop. I've only had difficulty getting the ext monitor connected a couple of times, but since power cycling the monitor fixes it the problems likely belong to the monitor.
3) I'm trying to get sound to work better. Laptop speakers work fine; however, connecting headphones thru either the laptop jack or the dock jack work, but with balance issues--to get much output, I have to set the balance hard left or right in the Sound CP. I've tried VoodooHDA and most recently this:
...but neither has fixed it. I would appreciate it if you could provide any sound recommendations after looking at my attached EFI folder (all serials changed).

Again, thanks for all you've done. This was much easier than my first Hackintosh experience ~7 years ago.
Regards to your sound issue, VoodooHDA is not the way to go you'll have to make sure you completely remove that and any files it added. Sound is fixed by using the correct layout ID, AppleALC and combo jack. There shouldn't be anything else for that.

I looked at some of your files and there's a lot of fluff. Looks like you are integrating, mix and matching a lot of work from someone else and I'm sure there are conflicts of interest somewhere that is causing your kernel panic and possibly your sound issues. I noticed you are using the latest Clover which I haven't used since they incorporated OpenCore. IMO it would just be a good idea to move to OpenCore completely, the new thread has a couple users that used my setup to run Catalina.

But from what I see, a lot of things are completely unnecessary in your EFI. Example with SMBIOS 14,1 you don't need notouchid kext, that model doesn't have touchid. SSDT-TB3 builds thunderbolt tree on RP05, when ours is on RP15, this is more than likely conflicting with SSDT-TYPC which does something similar. Could be the cause of your random KP on shutdown. SMCSuperIO is the same as SMCDellSensors in regards to its purpose but obviously the SMCDellSensors would be more ideal so remove SuperIO. We never needed nullehternet for our laptops unless your are using it for the TB3 dock somehow?

My goal was to see if any Thunderbolt advancements have occurred but I'm afraid you are dealing with TB3 issues which have been a problem for this laptop for quite sometime. Unfortunately I can't help you trouble shoot much else as I'm not really familiar with the new Clover or using Catalina. IMO Clover is unsuitable moving forward for hackintoshing this laptop.

Thanks for the input.
Regards to your sound issue, VoodooHDA is not the way to go you'll have to make sure you completely remove that and any files it added. Sound is fixed by using the correct layout ID, AppleALC and combo jack.
I think I've done that and am using layout ID 7. Is that correct?

I looked at some of your files and there's a lot of fluff. Looks like you are integrating, mix and matching a lot of work from someone else and I'm sure there are conflicts of interest somewhere that is causing your kernel panic and possibly your sound issues.
Absolutely. I only posted because my dock seems to be working better than any report I've seen.

I followed your deletion recommendations and all is still working, thanks. The dock USB wasn't working on the first restart but worked after a dock unplugging and reboot. All worked fine on the second reboot.

I had used nullethernet to get the App Store working.

My goal was to see if any Thunderbolt advancements have occurred but I'm afraid you are dealing with TB3 issues which have been a problem for this laptop for quite sometime.
OK, but just to clarify, I'm not having any issues that can be attributed to the dock--it's working fine! The only reason I had posted was that I thought that I might have stumbled upon some magic combination that others might find useful, given that most have reported that USB doesn't work.

I definitely will switch to OC when I am ready for Big Sur, thanks.

@umbjm layout id is 72 there's a custom entry in AppleALC for it, hex is 48000000 in device properties

The dock I'm sure is fine, you mentioned the monitors not waking from sleep. Does other peripherals work when waking from sleep? Is it actually sleeping or possibly deep idling? You can run the below to see what it's doing.
Code:
pmset -g log|grep -e " Sleep " -e " Wake " -e " DarkWake "

I'm starting to think maybe something is done here and will have to explore a bit more.

Does hot plugging your dock work? like after you booted in OS you can plug it in and everything works? As well as unplugging it after without crash?

@umbjm layout id is 72 there's a custom entry in AppleALC for it, hex is 48000000 in device properties

The dock I'm sure is fine, you mentioned the monitors not waking from sleep. Does other peripherals work when waking from sleep? Is it actually sleeping or possibly deep idling? You can run the below to see what it's doing.
Code:
pmset -g log|grep -e " Sleep " -e " Wake " -e " DarkWake "

I'm starting to think maybe something is done here and will have to explore a bit more.

Does hot plugging your dock work? like after you booted in OS you can plug it in and everything works? As well as unplugging it after without crash?
Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately, it looks as though I have unintentionally misled you because I am using this laptop more as a desktop. The dock does not do what it was designed to do, although it is great for my current needs. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

After many trials, I have found consistently that after hot-unplugging, the monitors reorganize correctly and things work (such as notifications) for about 10 sec. Then the computer goes black, restarts, goes through Clover, and then a KP. Restarting after the KP makes the dock work again.

Hot plugging works better, but not consistently. Strangely, I booted in Win 10, the dock worked fine, but upon booting back into Catalina, the dock's USB didn't work. USB was restored by a Catalina reboot.

I have attached my pmset output.

Attachments

• umbjm term sleep.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back