Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t IOElectrify Power the USB C Port all the time? So the Power consumption would be much more?
Probably, but when you use a dock with power delivery, you don't care that much about battery life.

Could you share your current clover folder?
It's just CLOVER 3.4 with IOElectrify and unrelated black screen on wake/dp replug fix (tested without black screen fix and instant replug also worked)

I can finally replug my 4K montor, power adapter, ethernet, soundbar, keyboard and mice with single cable without reboot!
Ok, this isn't really working. My USBC dock with USB 3.0 HUB works as USB 2.0 HUB when plugged to XPS (works fine with Macbook), and suddenly gigabit ethernet isn't really a gigabit.

But i went further and found a way to hotplug TB3 dock.

Unlike USBC dock, when using IOElectrify and SSDT-TB3, devices are not detected after booting with TB3 dock plugged in, and if you try to replug TB3 it will still look like it's not working, but it does.

Trick is, in this configuration, TB3 hotplug works ONLY when laptop is sleeping.
Not a big deal IMO, since docked laptops are used with lid closed anyway, and with closed lid they go to sleep when unplugged from power. I can hear fans turning off in about 5 seconds after i close the lid while disconnected or disconnect while lid is closed)

Another issue with this configuration is, each time you add/remove USB device from dock, in order for macOS to see the changes TB3 dock must be replugged. Also IMO not a big deal, since dock is mostly for plugging predefined set of devices.

So now finally I CAN replug my 4K montor, power adapter, GIGABIT ethernet, soundbar, keyboard and mice with single cable without reboot!

Thanks for this helpful tuto!
New on hackintosing after first reboot i have three icon (Mojave install, Prebooter, start Mac) when i choose start Mac it goes - v mode and restart here the last lines before reboot.
Any help welcome!

Attachments

• FOTO_20200605_101302.jpg
    FOTO_20200605_101302.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Catalina 10.15.6 is now available.
No issues with the update - using the newest Clover r5120.

Hi Guys ! It's been a long time and I still enjoy this hack of mine.

@blazinsmokey there's in not a single day nor me or this laptop think about you, I hope you are safe and sounds in this crazy times.

Just wanted to pop out here because I just seen this, and it's really good news: FAN CONTROL FOR DELL LAPTOPS!!!

Now apparently fan control is possible, you can install this kext by compiling the latest VirtualSMC or download the one attached here and report.

The only thing that annoyed the hell outta me was these uncontrollable noisy fans, now I enjoy even more this laptop!

All the best, take care and most of all be safe!

1595790777107.png

EDIT#2: I tested it, FAN CONTROL DO WORKS but not via HWMonitorSMC2 (monitoring temp and fan speed only).
You can use Exirion (free) as mentioned in Acidanthera thread to manual set up fan speed:

You also have to install these 2 kexts: SMCSuperIO.kext and SMCProcessor.kext to make this work and retrieve temp reading.

1595794734638.png

Note: I let the Bios control and set it to automatic, but you can manually setup max fan speed with it if you need.
Just be caution so the fan ventilation is enough not to overheat the CPU.

Attachments

• SMCDellSensors.kext.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Also note about the last Bios update from june 2020 (v.1.19) : If you don't want to loose undervolting capability both on window (XTU) and mac (VoltageShift), do not install the last Bios update!
You can always roll back to 1.18 if needed.

after rolling back don't forget to reset the BIOS. Undervolting will still be disabled if you just install another bios.

Please accept my apologies if this is covered somewhere that I have missed.

I have used CCC to clone my Mojave installation to a new SSD that is in a Thunderbolt enclosure. I would like to boot from it before installing.

Can I just mount the EFI with Clover Configurator and copy everything over from the EFI folder in my working ESP volume, or do I need to use the Clover installer?

Either way, should the clone show up in Clover upon reboot or do I have to go into BIOS?

Or is there a better way altogether to do the cloning?

By "boot from it before installing" I mean boot from the SSD still in the enclosure before installing it in the computer...

Nice advancement from clever people here see the Catalina thread here for those interested in Opencore:

Dual boot on mine works with this config (only Win and OSX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back