Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used DPCIManager and this is the result.
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.10.08 AM.png
What MacBook Product Number is everyone using for the 9560? i have 14,3

I used to have 14,3 to make my TB16 dock work but I've moved back to 14,1 since I'm no longer using that dock and 14,1 is definitely more stable.

In both case however, facetime and iMessages used to work. Did you try my EFI folder?

I've just noticed that when I connect my monitor to TB16, I can't control brightness using NativeDisplayBrightness Shortkeys.
But when I plug it into Belkin Express Dock HD, it works, so now I'm Daisy Chaining LG->Belkin->TB16->XPS and
  1. Charging
  2. Keyboard brightness control
  3. Usb 2.0 devices
all works.

2020-05-08 06.39.07.jpg

So i successfully upgraded from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 . Everything seems to be fine . I have a question . in SMBIOS if i change model to 14,3 because i have i7 7700hq model , my usb start working only for charging and stock bluetooth are stop working . I saw that some one used 14,3 model , can you give me some advice pls

Hey @ganeshka
Jardenliu from GitHub seems to use 14,3! I can confirm that his build is stable.

And I saw that you asked before about battery life.
The Dell XPS has a big thermal throttling problem.
So, I have repasted and undervolted my hackintosh (and enabled speed shift via the efi terminal tweek).

I have the large battery 97WHr.
My Battery health is currently at 69% and with web browsing/word etc it last up to 7 1/2 hours.
I will replace my old battery when it has under 55% health. I think with a new battery the xps will go up to 10-11 hours.

Currently the fans are sometimes running while doing heavier browsing (like YouTube) or while programming.

For repasting I have used MX-4. But I will replace it with Thermal Grizzly kryonaut. (temps will go down by only 3 degree xD)
Then I will add some aluminum heat spreader and thermal pads to the VRMs and Chokes.
In the end I hope that fans will stay also off while watching YouTube!

For undervolting you should run Cinebench R20 multiple times and some GPU heavy task.
I also recommend to try decreasing System Agent (begin with -10 and then go step by step with 10. Mine is at -30)
Before decreasing system agent, the fans would still run while normal browsing. So I recommend it even if other says its useless.

Also important is that the brightness of the screen is a important factor of your battery life.
when its at full brightness it will drain more then double of power at half the brightness.

Last edited:
OK so everything was working great for the last 7 days. Today my Facetime and iMessages decided to give me errors.
I have done the changes in SMBios with Clover. Everything checked out.
That's not a bug, that's a feature. Your system with already authorized accounts is not supposed to magically teleport to another serial number hardware. When restoring from time machine macOS will force you to reauthorize. It will even force you to change iCloud password each time you change serial number unless you enable 2Factor authentication on your account (in which case it will just force you to reauthorize)

Thanks a lot , i'm on this build almost one week + changed wifi for
BCM94360NG on AMAZON . only one thing which i would like to change is battery life )))

Thanks a lot , i'm on this build almost one week + changed wifi for
BCM94360NG on AMAZON . only one thing which i would like to change is battery life )))

Undervolting can be done with voltageshift:

Please run Cinebench and other stress test a lot to try your config:

If you also undervolt the GPU also stress test, I used this one (opened multiple times at the same time):
I couldn't start it trough the GUI, so I used the command line interface. There are examples in the .sh file.

SpeedShift:
Go to the page and in the first post a post from "Rockstar75" is quoted.
But only do this if you have the xps 9560. IF you have another laptop search for your laptops correct way.
If you do this on another laptop it could brick them!

Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 17.44.26.png

so after enabling speed shift and voltageshift here result . Is this what it should looks like ?

Temps shouldn't be at 100c xD (but that's only a sensor/display problem)
But the rest is okay if your system is not crashing while Stress testing.
You could also try to decrease the cache more as the CPU. Sometimes that's possible...

Don't forget to add it as launch option with the buildlaunchd option!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back