Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works perfectly, the only issue I'm having is with the touchpad which doesn't recognise any gesture.
(I have installed all the kexts provided in your clover folder in /L/E)

The brackets is where you went wrong matey. The only thing I have installed in the Extensions folder is the Ethernet hack. The rest is in Clover EFI

Whats the advantage of installing them in L/E anyway? Something about a certain ice-cream flavor and clean MacOS? In my experience every time you update anything something in L/E breaks and you have to play a game of whack a mole.

I am using this clover folder now, it works perfect. To have the dock work from boot screen, I disabled thunderbolt boot support and thunderbolt pre boot support in bios. This has disadvantages on its own, but it works for me. The only little thing I noticed is that switching audio outputs seems to be a bit finicky, that's it really. Thanks for the folder setup.

Thanks matey I thought it was my clover config; bios makes much more sense. I'll give it a go tonight

Attachments

• AE1F8101-C131-4A4B-95F0-39D947883778.jpeg
    AE1F8101-C131-4A4B-95F0-39D947883778.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not remotely knowladgeble enough to comment; but I take working results at face value

I take a working trackpad, functioning bluetooth and thunderbolt connection over the 'proper method' which gets neither done
I think that in the end I’ll just do the same thing...

Last edited:
Hi! I would be very interested to see how it works for you - I also have Precision 5520. Most everything works with the setups listed here, but I can't figure out sleep in in Cat, although it did work in Mojave.

So I have Mojave working for the most part (no Intel wireless, which is a major hamstring for a laptop build), and it is dual booting to Windows 10 (almost triple to Ubuntu), which was the first OS installed on the internal 1TB NVMe SSD. I took the cover off today to see if it was possible to install a SATA drive (it has the controller according to Win10), and to see if the WLAN mini-PCIe card out of my old (dead) XPS m1330 would fit, but this is too big... is there a known alternative for these Dells that will work with macOS? (non-Intel).

And I haven't tried doing anything to enable Intel SpeedShift within Mojave or using the EFI shell, but within Windows using Throttlestop and HWiNFO64 I can confirm it works and can be done from within the OS, so I'll be interested to know if there is any similar method from within macOS.

Also, I tried connecting the TB USB ethernet adaptor, but with just the default clear DHCP settings it failed to be assigned an IP, however the same thing works fine within Windows. If anyone can recommend a non-Intel mini WLAN PCIe card that would fit and work, please let me know.

So I have Mojave working for the most part (no Intel wireless, which is a major hamstring for a laptop build), and it is dual booting to Windows 10 (almost triple to Ubuntu), which was the first OS installed on the internal 1TB NVMe SSD. I took the cover off today to see if it was possible to install a SATA drive (it has the controller according to Win10), and to see if the WLAN mini-PCIe card out of my old (dead) XPS m1330 would fit, but this is too big... is there a known alternative for these Dells that will work with macOS? (non-Intel).

And I haven't tried doing anything to enable Intel SpeedShift within Mojave or using the EFI shell, but within Windows using Throttlestop and HWiNFO64 I can confirm it works and can be done from within the OS, so I'll be interested to know if there is any similar method from within macOS.

Also, I tried connecting the TB USB ethernet adaptor, but with just the default clear DHCP settings it failed to be assigned an IP, however the same thing works fine within Windows. If anyone can recommend a non-Intel mini WLAN PCIe card that would fit and work, please let me know.
You should use the dw1560. What usb to Ethernet adapter do you have?

You should use the dw1560. What usb to Ethernet adapter do you have?
I'll try to track down a Dell DW1560, thanks for that. And the USB Ethernet adapter is the one that came with the machine, Dell branded D59GG. Within Mojave it detects it to be present and it attempts a DHCP request, but this fails (works fine in Windows). I'll maybe try again but this time plug it directly into my broadband router. Otherwise Bluetooth PAN works and is the only way to access the Internet from within Mojave (via my mobile phone)

I am using this clover folder now, it works perfect. To have the dock work from boot screen, I disabled thunderbolt boot support and thunderbolt pre boot support in bios. This has disadvantages on its own, but it works for me. The only little thing I noticed is that switching audio outputs seems to be a bit finicky, that's it really. Thanks for the folder setup.

I wanted to give a little update after more thorough use. Bluetooth works, but it's spotty at best, and not usable with my AirPods. I also noticed some notifications that the device had crashed and rebooted after opening the lid after a while. Also, after going into sleep, the USB ports on the dock still wouldn't work so something is still wrong. That's why I have reenabled Thunderbolt boot support in bios and I went back to MBP 14,1 for now. I hope this still can be fixed, because not having to plug in my usb hub on the device separately every time was very nice.

Hi Blazinsmokey

First of all thank you for the amazing work in your EFI Folder. It is outstanding to have everything working even better than on windows. The computer is quiet, it is really energy efficient and every port works out of the box.

I read carefully through the whole evolution of your headaches and solutions and it's really fantastic all this great motivation. I a m currently using your CLOVER 3.4 with Mojave and don't plan to upgrade yet.

There is only one thing that remains impossible to solve for me. It is the USB C or Thunderbolt question that is supposed to be solved with KNNSpeed's method.

I may not understand correctly if I need only to copy either one of both ssdt from here under into the patched folder in the EFI partition? Is that all to do to get either th3 or usb-c working ?
  • SSDT-TB3-V1.aml
  • SSDT-TYPC.aml
I am using a USB C Hub with HDMI out and three usb 3 ports.

As many people in this forum I only get USB 2 speed connection out of that Hub.

Trying out different EFI and Kexts or SSDTS, I cannot get USB3 speed with that hub. In the system report it is clearly identified as a USB 2 Hub.

The only work around to get USB 3 speed from USB C adapter is to sacrifice the HDMI out from the adapter. (using clover attached in this post)

Or another solution is that I still have my 2 external screen setup + USB 3 speeds in the USB C adaptor but then I loose the 2 other USB 3 connections from the laptop. (achieved by changing SMBIOS to Macbook Pro 14.2 in clover configurator)

I can imagine that for someone skilled the solution might be just around the corner.

If someone could give me a small hint to make that little detail work, I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you

Attachments

• CLOVER_1external screen solution usb 3 speed.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 54
So, I'm using same folder as @nikoel now and everything seems to be working except Bluetooth and AppStore.

I've disabled Thunderbolt boot and pre-boot support in BIOS too as I really don't need it. I've found in my testing that TB16 hotplug works. My laptop was already booted up and I inserted the USB-C cable from TB16 dock and everything was recognized and worked. Can you guys give that a try?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back