Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's the one. I couldn't get it to work with just using USBPorts.kext so I had to use USBInjectAll.kext.

It's funny because I upgraded to 10.15.1 and my system broke. It doesn't show me filevault2 login screen anymore :(

Are you using FileVault2?

It sounds like you are using USBInjectA.kext from Rehabman to populate the USB ports on a TB dock. I would very much like to see the IOreg on that when all the USB ports are in use on the TB device.

All that kext does is populate as many USB ports as possible for the system. Which is why it's used to map ports out on desktop rigs, etc. Meant to be used with a custom SSDT to only inject mapped ports. Unsafe and could cause instability of the system in the long run. Now if I could see the IOreg and confirm what is being mapped if that is truly what is happening, I could prossibly implement them into our current USBPorts.kext. That way you don't cause unnecessary system instability issues.

I find it a bit hard to believe that kext makes it work as the our ACPI TB tree has it's own USB tree, I actually had a short discussion before with Rehabman about it and he verified TB ACPI devices may have the same name for USB devices but are apart of a different tree and have no correlation to standard USB ports. As far as I know Rehabman's kext is not intended to expose those ports to macOS but may be you discovered something or something has changed in macOS since then. If you and others can provide the IOReg for this state of the system, I'll be glad to take some time to see what I can do.

It sounds like you are using USBInjectA.kext from Rehabman to populate the USB ports on a TB dock. I would very much like to see the IOreg on that when all the USB ports are in use on the TB device.

All that kext does is populate as many USB ports as possible for the system. Which is why it's used to map ports out on desktop rigs, etc. Meant to be used with a custom SSDT to only inject mapped ports. Unsafe and could cause instability of the system in the long run. Now if I could see the IOreg and confirm what is being mapped if that is truly what is happening, I could prossibly implement them into our current USBPorts.kext. That way you don't cause unnecessary system instability issues.

I find it a bit hard to believe that kext makes it work as the our ACPI TB tree has it's own USB tree, I actually had a short discussion before with Rehabman about it and he verified TB ACPI devices may have the same name for USB devices but are apart of a different tree and have no correlation to standard USB ports. As far as I know Rehabman's kext is not intended to expose those ports to macOS but may be you discovered something or something has changed in macOS since then. If you and others can provide the IOReg for this state of the system, I'll be glad to take some time to see what I can do.
@blazinsmokey Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, I haven't devoted much time to figure out why it works. I'd happy to provide IOreg once I figure out why my system is broken after 10.15.1 upgrade. I'm not seeing login screen with filevault2 enabled and there are no verbose logs.

Meanwhile, maybe @auguzanellato would be able to share his IOreg.

Last edited:
@blazinsmokey Tb3 usb are working fine without UsbInjectAll.kext, that kext is only needed to get the laptop built in ports to work, probably that’s caused by the switch to MacBookPro14.3

I got it working without using USBInjectAll.kext. I'm traveling so I haven't tested TB16 dock and since I don't use iPhone I can't test handoff/Airplay but Bluetooth works.

I got FV2 working with 10.15.1 provided you boot with verbose mode.

Here's my Clover folder and IOreg. I think using Macbookpro 14,3 worked out better for me the only caveat is that I can't login to Appstore but iCloud and iMessage works fine.

PS: I left deepidle DSDT/SSDT in there by mistake, so please remove it if you use my Clover folder.

Update: Airdrop works with my configs. I haven't tested sidecar/Airplay.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 66
  • sammy1881.ioreg
    22.4 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I got it working without using USBInjectAll.kext. I'm traveling so I haven't tested TB16 dock and since I don't use iPhone I can't test handoff/Airplay but Bluetooth works.

I got FV2 working with 10.15.1 provided you boot with verbose mode.

Here's my Clover folder and IOreg. I think using Macbookpro 14,3 worked out better for me the only caveat is that I can't login to Appstore but iCloud and iMessage works fine.

PS: I left deepidle DSDT/SSDT in there by mistake, so please remove it if you use my Clover folder.

Update: Airdrop works with my configs. I haven't tested sidecar/Airplay.

Hey Sammy. Thank you for the efforts. A quick question. If I were to utilise your clover folder do I need to re-go through the process of getting new Serial Numbers, UUID etc... for iMessage etc to work without getting my account booted by apple? I've started using my actual apple ID with purchases and connections to my other phones so I am a little afraid of getting that account blacklisted

For the folks using FileVault2, you can cut the waiting time by booting with verbose mode using -v.

I don't know why it does that but it boots way faster when verbose enabled.

Hmmm, sorry but I can't replicate this.

I tried and it was no faster. In fact, it was a bit slower for me. I am using Mojave as my main install but I don't recall my Cat install taking noticeably longer to cold boot.

I timed my own boot without -V ... Perhaps you can compare it to the speeds that you experience? :)

Below are the progressive time stamps without -v:
  • Power on button to Dell logo - 9 seconds
  • To apple logo - 18 seconds
  • To FV2 password log in screen - 23 seconds
  • To finish typing in my password - 28 seconds
  • To status bar loading start - 33 seconds
  • To desktop - 50 seconds
It doesn't seem too unreasonable to me - I'd be interested to know the boot speeds that you observe :) The total boot process is faster on my E7440 by about 5 seconds but this is due to the Dell logo loading faster after pressing the power button.

P.S: I had no issues booting to Cat. without the -v boot flag. Not sure what is causing you issues there.
:think:

I do have a question though for anybody reading - has anyone tried hibernation, by using the Hibernationfixup addition to Clover?

I've read about the possible risks to data but I'm game to try if anyone else had good experiences (Most of my data is on the cloud and is very regularly backed-up to a a bootable USB drive, so I can afford to trash an install in the name of science). Still, if everyone else has already had a terrible experience with hibernation, I'll save myself some heartache and give it a miss. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Sammy. Thank you for the efforts. A quick question. If I were to utilise your clover folder do I need to re-go through the process of getting new Serial Numbers, UUID etc... for iMessage etc to work without getting my account booted by apple? I've started using my actual apple ID with purchases and connections to my other phones so I am a little afraid of getting that account blacklisted

Depending on what model number you're using you can keep the same serial number if you're already using MacBookPro14,3 because that what my config uses.

Having said that, I change my serial number all the time and I've not seen any issues with that personally. Just have to login to my apple account again and that's it.

Current setup: XPS 15 9560 1080p 512GB DW1560
OSX 10.15.1
Default clover folder (No USBInjectAll)
Dell TB16 Dock
7 Port USB-Hub connected to the dock.
Using MacBookPro14,3 in clover

As stated before, the USB ports, video ports and audio port now work on the dock on MBP14,3 whereas with MBP14,1 only the video outputs worked. However, using 14,3, my bluetooth is now dead (It says not available in the menu bar), and the onboard USB ports no longer work. I have provided my IOReg using 14,3 (I hope this is OK I've not done this before). I will be reverting to 14,1 for now, as bluetooth and USB ports are more important to me for now. Thanks for all the work so far!

Attachments

• MacBook Pro.ioreg
    13.1 MB · Views: 61
Current setup: XPS 15 9560 1080p 512GB DW1560
OSX 10.15.1
Default clover folder (No USBInjectAll)
Dell TB16 Dock
7 Port USB-Hub connected to the dock.
Using MacBookPro14,3 in clover

As stated before, the USB ports, video ports and audio port now work on the dock on MBP14,3 whereas with MBP14,1 only the video outputs worked. However, using 14,3, my bluetooth is now dead (It says not available in the menu bar), and the onboard USB ports no longer work. I have provided my IOReg using 14,3 (I hope this is OK I've not done this before). I will be reverting to 14,1 for now, as bluetooth and USB ports are more important to me for now. Thanks for all the work so far!
That's interesting because I'm using 14,3 and all my ports including USBC port works. Wifi works too and I'm able to see devices and connect to them and use.

I will be able to test TB16 dock next week but yeah if you want to give my clover folder a try. I've posted it above.

Update 1:

I am able to see all the ports on my TB16 dock without using USBInjectAll.kext. Here's my new ioreg.

Attachments

• Macbook14,3.ioreg
    39.3 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
hey! (noob alert)

I am hoping to attempt to install macos on my Dell Precision 5520, which I believe is the same hardware as XPS 5560 and have landed at this very informative and detailed guide.

Using my wife's old late 2011 macbook pro I can download and create a High Sierra installer, but it is too old to go above macos 10.13, so I cannot download Mojave from the Apple Store (and I have tried joining the beta programme but no luck there).

Can I still follow this guide for my Dell but install High Sierra instead?
Or is it best to get a hold of Mojave before proceeding?

Apologies if this has been asked already somewhere else (this thread is 81 pages long, so possibly the answer is buried in here somewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back