Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I’ve been experiencing pretty severe waking-issues since upgrading to the latest UEFI-firmware (1.16.0).

My XPS usually (in 6 out of 10 cases) restarts after a few seconds after waking up from sleep (display goes black and notebook starts posting again).

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The last resort would be (I guess) downgrading to 1.15.0 :’/

---------
MacOS version: 10.14.6 (18G95)

Can you post nvram contents? In terminal type nvram -p
Debug files as suggested in the guide also could help.

After some thorough testing, I observed that the restarts primarily occur when the notebook is plugged in the TB3-station (~9 of 10 wakes = crash).

Crashes also occur when the notebook is woken up while running from battery /power adapter, but not as frequently (~ 1 of 10 wakes = crash).

Interestingly enough, the notebook sometimes restarts immediately (after being woken up) and other times it continues running just fine for a few seconds and restarts then.

As far as I remember the notebook also used to restart occasionally prior upgrading to the latest firmware (battery /power adapter), but I never experienced any TB3 issues :’/

------
My TP3 dock: https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/catriple4kdockpd-2/

Attachments

• nvram.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 267
  • debug_28889.rar
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
After some thorough testing, I observed that the restarts primarily occur when the notebook is plugged in the TB3-station (~9 of 10 wakes = crash).

Crashes also occur when the notebook is woken up while running from battery /power adapter, but not as frequently (~ 1 of 10 wakes = crash).

Interestingly enough, the notebook sometimes restarts immediately (after being woken up) and other times it continues running just fine for a few seconds and restarts then.

As far as I remember the notebook also used to restart occasionally prior upgrading to the latest firmware (battery /power adapter), but I never experienced any TB3 issues :’/

------
My TP3 dock: https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/catriple4kdockpd-2/

fakesmc was never used in this guide and your nvram.plist is filled with fakesmc keys that could possibly cause issues. Clear your nvram till all fakesmc keys are removed. Try with clover method first, may take a couple of tries. If not try the aptiomemfix driver(now in the repo applesupportpkg), cleannvram.efi.

See if that fixes your issues first.

I cleared the nvram (single user-mode -> sudo nvram -c), but unfortunately the issue still persists.

But I found (for now) a workaround: Unplugging the notebook before putting it in sleep and ‘docking’ it again as soon as the notebook has woken up.

Obviously, this isn’t a perfect solution but seems to bypass the issue.

Attachments

• nvram.txt
    12 KB · Views: 100
I have not experienced this. Mine seems to be working great (at the moment) after I replaced my TB16 with a D6000 dock.

Very interested in your D6000 setup. I have one lying around that I used to use with Windows, but it's been finicky with macOS. Are you using multiple monitor outputs over the single USB-C connection in macOS? Additionally, what SSDT have you selected for your Type-C functionality? Thanks for your help.

@blazinsmokey @dmitry_matora is it still necessary to use BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext? I didn’t see that kext in the latest Clover folder that was uploaded. What WiFi/BT cards are you both using?

Bit late on this but i think i have finally solved my DW1830 issue with getting bt unavailable. I still need to test this but as i have read on github also on 13" XPS forum here (it says in OP) that you need to install BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext into L\E. I didnt have that. So i went installed it and now tested it after sleep i still have bt working and headphones connect with no problem and still works this was not the case before. Also my bt was completely broken when i have BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in clover folder.

So far so good!!! :headbang:

Bit late on this but i think i have finally solved my DW1830 issue with getting bt unavailable. I still need to test this but as i have read on github also on 13" XPS forum here (it says in OP) that you need to install BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext into L\E. I didnt have that. So i went installed it and now tested it after sleep i still have bt working and headphones connect with no problem and still works this was not the case before. Also my bt was completely broken when i have BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in clover folder.

So far so good!!! :headbang:

ok not so quickly...eh but a bit better. I still get BT unavailable only after restart but not after when closed lid and then wake...i have removed brcmpatchram2.kext from clover folder ...everything looks to be working the same with this change.

Hi. I need more info. Too many factors here.
How old is your battery?
Do you use your laptop mostly on battery?
After boot, in activity monitor, is there any app or daemon running in the background pumping energy?
What are your bios power setting? battery profile? Mine is adaptive.
Was it always like that or suddenly your battery capacity drastically decreased?
If you have windows, is the battery life the same?

1) If you have windows installed on another partition (or disk) do this to check your actual battery capacity:

If your capacity is above 90Wh, don't proceed to full discharge. just do a cmos reset (see below).

Do this once maximum and read carefully. Respect the 3 to 5 hours necessary to cool down the battery after full discharge.

2) Once done before switching on your laptop, disconnect the battery and do a cmos reset by holding power button 1 to 2 min to fully discharge the mobo capacitors.

3) Do a full test at idle disabling sleep and report the time until nearly full discharge.

4) remove ADP1 ssdt in patched folder. reboot. clean nvram at clover screen. reboot. put back ssdt. reboot. clean nvram, reboot, shut down. Reboot.

This improved my battery life. In my case it was a new battery that needed just to be calibrated.

5) If all of this fails. Try a clean install.

Coming back to this after loong time, so i tried voltageshift and used values of -135 -110 -135 and looks ok. So i installed coconut and see that my battery is:

Screenshot 2019-09-03 21.34.31.png

Yes so by the looks of things my battery is crap. Well also note charging with 39w while on battery discharge would be around 37w (haha so same discharge time as charge time) but with voltageshift would be around 18-22w which is better actually felt that i would go around 5hrs defo more that 3hrs. Ok so with this state of my battery (it also tells me to replace soon) i guess it is the best i can get atm.

Screenshot 2019-09-03 21.41.01.png

looks like my laptop is older than i thought..
i have 15" i7-7700q 4k 32gb 1tb

so what kind of voltageshift offset are you using for this proc? what would be the lower discharge wattage you could get? Also has anyone tried to use ./voltageshift power <PL1> <PL2> changing these values to limit power use to improve battery life? disabling turbo? thanks

In case anyone is interested in that
Code:
# Voltage Shift
alias vs='cd /Users/blazinsmokey/Downloads/voltageshift/'
alias vsinfo='/Users/blazinsmokey/Downloads/voltageshift/./voltageshift info'
alias vsset='/Users/blazinsmokey/Downloads/voltageshift/./voltageshift offset -125 -90 -125'
alias vsreset='/Users/blazinsmokey/Downloads/voltageshift/./voltageshift offset 0 0 0'

Btw you can do it this way then you need to execute only one command.

I am confused.

To upgrade from Clover 3.3 to 3.4 what do i need to do ? I have replaced it completely on efi and after reboot i got clover without any option to boot into the system !!! completely stuck. thank god i had macOs install on usb so booted into that install and could get into terminal and replaced the clover in efi...so i wonder do i just need to replace the kext folder and acpi folder or what? or do i need to place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back