Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
THx that worked perfectly for the track pad. But still no love from the dock. Turns our i have a TB16 dock but i still cant get that thing to work:( its a little frustrating, that is the last piece i need and id be windows free!

Hmmm, I can report success with the WD15/K17A dock - which uses USB-C and not TB.

@Libertov : Blazinsmokey proposes 3 different methods to implementing Thunderbolt and USB-C in his guide. Can you clarify which of these methods you are currently using?

To recap from the guide:

Code:
You can only use 1 of the 3 methods and each has it's quirks

When changing methods, you need to clear nvram possibly multiple times and also shutting down completely helps.

Method 1 (included default)
Using both SSDT-TB3-9560.aml and SSDT-TYPC-9560.aml
Basically a combination/cleanup both below, TB3 not tested or confirmed but USB-C works like PCI Express card

Method 2 (KNNSpeeds original method)
Using only SSDT-TYPC.aml
USB-C should work like a PCI Express card, Thunderbolt should work but no hot plug and system will crash if you unplug while still booted up. Thunderbolt needs to be plugged in at boot with devices on.

Method 3 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/)
Using only SSDT-TB3-V1.aml
It's Method 1 at the link.
Hot plug works one device at a time but 9560 users have reported it's flaky.
USB-C doesn't work at all.

So I wanted to use SSDT-TYPC.aml. I do not have the SSDT-TYPC-9560.aml in my Clover v3.4 Download i only had the SSDT-TYPC.aml file. I placed that in the Clover\ACPI\Patched DIR, but i am not sure what else i need to do to get it to work.

Do i have an older version of the file? Are there any steps that need to be done after placing the file in the patched dir?

Benni thank you for taking some time to help me :) it is greatly appreciated

So I wanted to use SSDT-TYPC.aml. I do not have the SSDT-TYPC-9560.aml in my Clover v3.4 Download i only had the SSDT-TYPC.aml file. I placed that in the Clover\ACPI\Patched DIR, but i am not sure what else i need to do to get it to work.

Do i have an older version of the file? Are there any steps that need to be done after placing the file in the patched dir?

Benni thank you for taking some time to help me :) it is greatly appreciated
3.4 has the correct files and it is down to 2 methods now, my experimental method is not a good idea and there were TB issues.

After it's in the patched directory it should just work as long as there aren't any files conflicting and it's a clean install.

Does the dock work in Windows?
When are you plugging in your device to see if it works?
Have you update to latest BIOS and make sure your BIOS has correct TB settings as linked in the guide?
Have you updated Thunderbolt firmware using Windows? (this may help or it may not)

Thank you so much blazinsmokey for replying, it is greatly appreciated. So to answer your questions

Yes the Dock works fine in windows
I plug it in before i power on the laptop then turn on the power
I have followed the BIOS settings to a T on the link that you provided on the guide
The Dock is fully updated via Windows.

I . have included my boot.log from Clover if that helps? No mind you that boot.log is from when i am at home with no dock plugged in, not sure that matters.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    61 KB · Views: 96
Thank you so much blazinsmokey for replying, it is greatly appreciated. So to answer your questions

Yes the Dock works fine in windows
I plug it in before i power on the laptop then turn on the power
I have followed the BIOS settings to a T on the link that you provided on the guide
The Dock is fully updated via Windows.

I . have included my boot.log from Clover if that helps? No mind you that boot.log is from when i am at home with no dock plugged in, not sure that matters.

Plug it in when you reach clover boot screen. Give it a second or so then boot into macOS.

So tried doing what you suggested. stopped clover screen from auto booting into MacOS, plugged in the dock waited 3 seconds then continued the boot process with Clover. Once system was fully up, tried plugging in a known good USB and it didnt recognize the USB :(

I've included the boot log file again after connecting the USB-C Dock. Going to double check all my settings again.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    61.7 KB · Views: 88
**Update**

So it looks like i missed 2 settings in the BIOS (VERY VERY important ones :) ) the lightning Pre boot support and boot support turned OFF.....Now the dock recognised my Video outputs perfectly. I am still having a few issues but I am getting there. Here are the only issues i have :)

1. No USB working on the Dock (I can live with that as the laptop has USB's available, But would be nice if it worked)
2. Ethernet on Dock is seen on Network page as "USB 10/100/1000 LAN" and says cable unplugged when the cable is plugged in and shows activity (works fine in windows)

This has been a great learning experience for me. I am so thankful that there is a great community available to help when help is needed :) again you guys rock!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back