Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick update: Catalina (10.15 Beta (19A512f)). I haven't had time to test fully and these are observations following just 1 hour of post-install testing...

I upgraded one of my USB backup installs by using the install Cataline Beta app and it went fairly smoothly.

Things that needed to be done:

1.To get the touchpad and touchscreen I2C kexts to load, it was necessary to disable SIP (CSR - 0x67) in the Plist.
- Hmm, actually I had to move the touchpad related kexts to the Library/Extensions folder. The other kexts appear to be loading just fine so I am not sure what the issue is here.

2. For Bluetooth, the kexts from: https://github.com/headkaze/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/releases

Things that are still causing issues:

1. CPU friend seems to be throwing kernel panics with Catalina. Removed the 2 kexts and the system boots fine.
- Actually, I just needed to manually check for kext updates. There's a new CPU friend version, which works.

Haven't tested:
1. Filevault - although I imagine that it would work fine still.
- This also works - tested. No different from Mojave.

One final thing: I am unable to rebuild the kext cache while booted into Catalina. This is likely due to the read-only system space that Catalina introduces. I was however able to boot to my previous Mojave install and mount the Catalina drive and then rebuild the kext cache from within Mojave. That seemed to work fine but it is not an elegant solution.

Last edited:
I've been at this for the past 3 hours, completely new to this. I just can't seem to get disk drives or the USB installer to display at the Clover bootscreen. I feel as if I'm missing a step. If anyone has any suggestions as I'd be willing to try anything at this point.

I've created a USB installer drive > Installed Clover EFI Bootloader onto the appropriate said USB > Selected UEFI and Clover in the ESP. > Deleted the clover folder from the USB drive and swapped with the supplied Clover folder. > Booted off the USB and experiencing my current issue, can't proceed with install.

Any help appreciated.
Did you use clover folder 3.4 from blazinsmokey? Try version 3.3 and replace the clover folder with your current one. I also reverted to 3.3 (and updated clover and kext on my own) because version 3.4 didn't show any macos drives.

If it works you can just update kext and clover on your own later, its not difficult. But 3.3 should go smoothly for now.

Last edited:
Just a quick update: Catalina (10.15 Beta (19A512f)). I haven't had time to test fully and these are observations following
1.To get the touchpad and touchscreen I2C kexts to load, it was necessary to disable SIP (CSR - 0x67) in the Plist.
2. For Bluetooth, the kexts from: https://github.com/headkaze/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/releases

Hey glad someone is taking initiative with Catalina. I've looked and followed some progressions but haven't stepped in, not a fan of running beta/dev previews as I need a stable system.

1. We should have had SIP disabled already in our config.plist, using actually a more "aggressive" value with 0x03E7. Does that no longer work in Cat?

2. headkaze made a fork to make it compatiblle with Catalina. You can find it on his github here https://github.com/headkaze/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/releases. He made a post at another site explaining the changes, which isn't allowed to be linked here (you can find the discussion post it if you google "dw1560 catalina bluetooth")

Things that are still causing issues:
1. CPU friend seems to be throwing kernel panics with Catalina. Removed the 2 kexts and the system boots fine.

Have you updated https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend/releases. Latest release says to use lilubetaall for 10.15. Also after updating that you could try to recreate the dataprovider with https://github.com/stevezhengshiqi/one-key-cpufriend.

Thanks for the update, hope to hear of full success soon.

Did you use clover folder 3.4 from blazinsmokey? Try version 3.3 and replace the clover folder with your current one. I also reverted to 3.3 (and updated clover and kext on my own) because version 3.4 didn't show any macos drives.

If it works you can just update kext and clover on your own later, its not difficult. But 3.3 should go smoothly for now.

3.3 worked like you stated. I replaced the kexts with the files from 3.4 and updated Clover to the latest version. Thanks!

Thanks blazinsmokey!

This proves that I rely too heavily on Kextupdater for everything. You are correct - there is a newer release of CPU friend, which works with Catalina. Installed the new kext, used the old dataprovider and everything seems to be working fine.

Weird - 0x03E7 works now although it didn't initially work. All kexts seem to be loading fine and bluetooth also works. I did run disk first aid on the Catalina bootable USB drive from my Mojave install but otherwise I did not make further changes.

I found out that 2 of the apps that I often use do not have 64 bit counterparts and now will not run on Catalina. Hmmm... There's always the option of running them in a Windows/Mac virtual machine I guess. But anyway, Catalina itself is running fine right now.

3.3 worked like you stated. I replaced the kexts with the files from 3.4 and updated Clover to the latest version. Thanks!
I'll take a look at what happened for install between 3.3 and 3.4 when I have time. Another person had issue on another forum, it's probably something stupid, my guess is HFS driver maybe? Make sure you guys move over the SSDTs as well.

Thanks blazinsmokey!
This proves that I rely too heavily on Kextupdater for everything. ....
64 bit counterparts and now will not run on Catalina....
Catalina itself is running fine right now.

hackintool also has a nice way to check, you won't be the only person not having apps working due to the new 64bit requirement. Glad it's up and running, hoping for smooth transition when it offically launches. Thanks for letting us know!

I'll take a look at what happened for install between 3.3 and 3.4 when I have time. Another person had issue on another forum, it's probably something stupid, my guess is HFS driver maybe? Make sure you guys move over the SSDTs as well.

Thank you sir, I didn't do the SSDTs. I'll get to that later tonight. Is it just a simple replace or is it much more if you don't mind me asking.

NOTE for install with v3.4 you need to add HFSPlus.efi driver or you won't see the install partition. It isn't necessary for post install. Had another user confirm it from the other forum. Sorry about that guys.

Thank you sir, I didn't do the SSDTs. I'll get to that later tonight. Is it just a simple replace or is it much more if you don't mind me asking.

Yes, delete, copy and paste, acpi/patched, then pick your TB/USB-c ssdt of your choosing.

So i am now typing this on my Dell XPS Hackintosh :) after install my DW1560 card. My only issue is the Dell XPS TB15 dock. I have no clue how to get that to work, can anyone explain to me how to get that to work as a USB-C device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back