Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not ? it has no impact on increased battery life at all !!! :p
It just assure that your system is not undervolted for less than 1 minute after wake from sleep :headbang:
:banghead:
I think maybe this is a language barrier but that's not actually what it does. It's not just doing a quick check every minute to make sure the voltage is set to your preference.

Direct from their readme....
This program does not provide a GUI interface because it loads the MSR driver only when apply, amend or read is done, after that the MSR driver will load and unload immediately for more security and lowest resource usage

So essentially your laptop loads the daemon every minute and then loads the msr driver to read and check, then unloads both after it's done. Every minute it'll repeat this process. While it may not take much cpu effort to do that every minute, that is just really inefficient in my opinion. You would get even more battery if you set it to 10 minutes.

It´s showing if you use fake.smc and Rehabman´s battery kext so I think it´s a virtualsmc battery plugin issue

We used fake.smc before but for some reason with the pm961 and mojave moving forward, we would get nvme kernel panics constantly which was really unstable and possibly cause data corruption. Losing exact battery details I think is a fair trade off. Only way I could get my hack running really stable was virtualSMC. I have contemplated on going back to check but it seems virtualSMC and its plugins are the way moving forward.

You are a theory man , I´m a practical man.
Why are you so stubborn ?
It dos´nt make sense !!!

:banghead: You are a theory man,i´m a practical man

Hey guys,

@blazinsmokey i have tested your new V3.3 Clover folder. I have a few Problems.

I replaced my whole Clover folder with yours. Changed BoardSerialNumber and so on back to mine.

The problems I have now.

First is battery life. on idle my cpu never gets down to 800 MHz. When I use Jardenlius (Git repo) CPUFriend + CPUFriendDataProvider Kext I have 9 hours and on idle it stays on 800 MHz. Watt usage is 1-2W.

Second Problem. If I plug in my iPhone via USB-C to Lightning. The Battery drains extremely fast (Could it be that its trying to fast charge it with more Power? 29 Watt?).

And my iPhone isn't recognized when its plugged in via USB-C or USB-A cable. iTunes, Photos and so on don't see it.
But its charging :)

So and the last one is Bluetooth. I have a DW1830 Wifi/Bluetooth Module. And its not connecting to my bluetooth devices. Fixed this with Jardenlius Args for boot with clover: abm_firstpolldelay=16000 bpr_probedelay=100 bpr_initialdelay=300 bpr_postresetdelay=300

Do you have these bugs too?

I didn't have problems with my DW1830 connecting until I rebooted a few times. Over time, it would drop out when the charger was unplugged. I encountered this problem consistently when I was using KNNSpeed's High Sierra package. Then I read:

and although it is for the 9570, no users reported complaints after loading some kexts to L/E. I tried it and it I had dropouts infrequently. It def works when the charger/power supply is unplugged. In fact, my laptop is unplugged and am using a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad to write this.

I have dw1830 and my bluetooth is coming unavailable often. It actually does not happen when plugged in, but will happen pretty much immediately when on battery of closed lid in sleep. When back have to shutdown (not even reboot helps) to get it back. Or also if i had headphones connected and close lid comes unavailable this one bugs me alot...before your last power update it came better that is atleast on plug it works pretty much stable...before it would almost never work.
I didn't have problems with my DW1830 connecting until I rebooted a few times. Over time, it would drop out when the charger was unplugged. I encountered this problem consistently when I was using KNNSpeed's High Sierra package. Then I read:

and although it is for the 9570, no users reported complaints after loading some kexts to L/E. I tried it and it does not drop out after sleep or closing the lid. It def works when the charger/power supply is unplugged. In fact, my laptop is unplugged and am using a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad to write this. It did drop out once today when I was working at a coffee shop and I plugged it in. Weird.

@blazinsmokey Thank you for all your contributions to this guide. I was using KNNSpeed's ( props to @KNNSpeed ) build on my 9560 for the past year and your build and guide took it to the next level in terms of providing a comprehensive and smooth experience. I have been "playing" with the install for the past 24 hours and almost everything works as intended. Trying to figure out a solution for the DW1830 BT dropping out. This is not an issue you created, I think as many people on other platforms have encountered the same issue. I took a hint from some 9570 people and loaded some kexts to L/E. Going to work on USB-C and Undervolting now. Thank you, again!!!

@blazinsmokey Thank you for all your contributions to this guide. I was using KNNSpeed's ( props to @KNNSpeed ) build on my 9560 for the past year and your build and guide took it to the next level in terms of providing a comprehensive and smooth experience. I have been "playing" with the install for the past 24 hours and almost everything works as intended. Trying to figure out a solution for the DW1830 BT dropping out. This is not an issue you created, I think as many people on other platforms have encountered the same issue. I took a hint from some 9570 people and loaded some kexts to L/E. Going to work on USB-C and Undervolting now. Thank you, again!!!

Thanks! Also thanks for sharing that 9570 guide, I think there's some great info in there I'll have to check it out thoroughly when I have time. Unfortunately I have no idea on the 1830 as I have the 1560. I wonder if people using it have a windows installation to update the firmware on the BT chip. Also in what Airport kext is loading up for you guys after sleep? Try this boot arg "brcmfx-driver=2" to only load AirPort_BrcmNIC.

USB-C should work with KNN's method in the TB folder I included.

Thanks! Also thanks for sharing that 9570 guide, I think there's some great info in there I'll have to check it out thoroughly when I have time. Unfortunately I have no idea on the 1830 as I have the 1560. I wonder if people using it have a windows installation to update the firmware on the BT chip. Also in what Airport kext is loading up for you guys after sleep? Try this boot arg "brcmfx-driver=2" to only load AirPort_BrcmNIC.

USB-C should work with KNN's method in the TB folder I included.
@blazinsmokey great to hear from you and thank you for writing back! The only command I know to check which kexts are loaded is "kextstat". The output I get is:
"18 0 0xffffff7f80fcc000 0x8000 0x8000 as.lvs1974.AirportBrcmFixup (2.0.2) C0286DB4-56CC-391C-B846-CB059AB02CBB <17 16 13 8 6 5 3 2 1>"
"129 1 0xffffff7f80c34000 0x6000 0x6000 com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore (2.2.10) 5DD4CFA3-AB5A-3AB4-BBA2-8ACE9BCD72D8 <6 5 3>"
"130 0 0xffffff7f80d4f000 0x6000 0x6000 com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2 (2.2.10) EA8FADAF-E7F3-3CDF-8440-49C15C0E25F8 <129 25 6 5 3 1>"

@blazinsmokey can you please what else I should do to get you the info you need?

And for the benefit for all DW1830 users, this is what one persistent person went thru to try to get DW1830 working on a 9350:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dw1830-bluetooth-not-available-power-saving-issue.246350/

@blazinsmokey great to hear from you and thank you for writing back! The only command I know to check which kexts are loaded is "kextstat". The output I get is:
"18 0 0xffffff7f80fcc000 0x8000 0x8000 as.lvs1974.AirportBrcmFixup (2.0.2) C0286DB4-56CC-391C-B846-CB059AB02CBB <17 16 13 8 6 5 3 2 1>"
"129 1 0xffffff7f80c34000 0x6000 0x6000 com.no-one.BrcmFirmwareStore (2.2.10) 5DD4CFA3-AB5A-3AB4-BBA2-8ACE9BCD72D8 <6 5 3>"
"130 0 0xffffff7f80d4f000 0x6000 0x6000 com.no-one.BrcmPatchRAM2 (2.2.10) EA8FADAF-E7F3-3CDF-8440-49C15C0E25F8 <129 25 6 5 3 1>"

@blazinsmokey can you please what else I should do to get you the info you need?

And for the benefit for all DW1830 users, this is what one persistent person went thru to try to get DW1830 working on a 9350:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dw1830-bluetooth-not-available-power-saving-issue.246350/

load IOReg and check ARPT@0 and you'll see what kext is loaded against the hardware

here's mine, check when it works and when it doesn't to see if any significant changes happen when your laptop wakes

@blazinsmokey
If you need a tester for anything, let me know. In addition to the 9560 I have several TB3 docks at my disposal as well as other hardware that I could potentially test with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back