Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last time we are not using any Kexts To Patch for the Samsung PM961. None of my uploaded config.plist have used that patch for NVME compatibility b/c we have native support in macOS for the PM961 and plenty of other drives. I only put it there to help people as a starting point to search for patches they may need.

I have updated the guide to clarify it even further. If it keeps coming up maybe I should just remove it from the guide?

Never thought of this but I guess it's the "cheapest" way to test our hack thunderbolt port:

I will test this immediately with my Dell Latitude 7490 I got from work and report.

Then I'll do the same from a real macbook connected to it and extract IOReg.

Another occasion to be seen a weirdo at work but nevermind :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So... @blazinsmokey... lol I tested your thunderbolt implementation with SSDT-TB3-9560.aml (having also SSDT-TYPC-9560 in patched folder) using my hackbook connected via thunderbolt to my Dell Latitude 7490 windows 10 laptop (see post above). I also deactivated all TB security options in both laptop bios to be sure no issue could come from this.

First, TB3 hotplug is detected in the Device tree! It is seen as a PCI device with the KNNSpeed PCI card trick. (see attached IOreg)

But wait, hold your breath: I said detected, not that it works - sorry lol

Whenever I removed the thunderbolt cable, I always have an instant kernel panic (KP report attached here).

In windows, my hackbook is also detected as a Thunderbolt device:

But normally it should be detected as a Thunderbolt Ethernet device (using the example in the above post, windows laptop connected via TB3 to hackbook).
Here, we only see "something" connected as "Port 1" but in windows prefs, no ethernet device is showing.
So we can conclude that Thunderbolt ethernet isn't working here.

But still, when windows doesn't detect any TB ethernet device nor the hackbook on the local network, the hack will detect the PC on the local network ?!

On the other hand, surprisingly Thunderbolt Cold plug doesn't work at all. Whether cold booted or after reboot, no single device will appear in the tree, no PCI card icon either.

Another observation. I tried to plug my cheap TYP-C/TB adapter with a USB3 dongle connected + the same setup above connecting the TB port on the adapter to windows laptop via TB3. Here, nothing is showing in the device tree and naturally I don't have any Kernel Panic if I unplug the TB cables. Last, windows laptop acts here as if my hackbook was delivering power over TB, but showing an error message "your adapter doesn't deliver enough power", something like that.
EDIT: this is a USB-C power port not a thunderbolt pass-through port (facepalm me, I've been fooled by the apparent lighting symbol - definitely not TB lol).

So that's it for tonight, tomorrow I will test it with original KNNSpeed TYPCSSDT to compare the differences.

Last question: what's the cheapest TB3 device money can buy (you know, something more common than daisy-chaining 2 laptops lol) , so we can continue testing? NVME TB3 enclosures costs an arm, eGPU the same... just can't afford it nor have the need for it now.

I thought about using an original apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter but my guess is that the hack will see it as a USB Type-C to Ethernet adapter instead. I found a second hand Dell TB16 thunderbolt dock for 50$ on Craigslist (same as @auguzanellato), but again without any TB device connected to it I doubt I will see anything relevant regarding TB3.

NB: I am in a dual boot environment on the same SSD, having installed TB drivers/firmware for windows. I don't think it has any influence in these tests but I mention this because I've seen others like @kgp who managed to get it work (on desktop though, using another method) having installed these drivers on windows to succeed in OSX.

Attachments

• Hackbook Pro-TYP-C-TB3-hotplug.ioreg
    6.9 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
So... @blazinsmokey... lol I tested your thunderbolt implementation with SSDT-TB3-9560.aml (having also SSDT-TYPC-9560 in patched folder) using my hackbook connected via thunderbolt to my Dell Latitude 7490 windows 10 laptop (see post above). I also deactivated all TB security options in both laptop bios to be sure no issue could come from this.

First, TB3 hotplug is detected in the Device tree! It is seen as a PCI device with the KNNSpeed PCI card trick. (see attached IOreg)

But wait, hold your breath: I said detected, not that it works - sorry lol

Whenever I removed the thunderbolt cable, I always have an instant kernel panic (KP report attached here).

View attachment 409773
View attachment 409775

In windows, my hackbook is also detected as a Thunderbolt device:
View attachment 409776

But normally it should be detected as a Thunderbolt Ethernet device (using the example in the above post, windows laptop connected via TB3 to hackbook).
Here, we only see "something" connected as "Port 1" but in windows prefs, no ethernet device is showing.
So we can conclude that Thunderbolt ethernet isn't working here.

But still, when windows doesn't detect any TB ethernet device nor the hackbook on the local network, the hack will detect the PC on the local network ?!

View attachment 409781

On the other hand, surprisingly Thunderbolt Cold plug doesn't work at all. Whether cold booted or after reboot, no single device will appear in the tree, no PCI card icon either.

Another observation. I tried to plug my cheap TYP-C/TB adapter with a USB3 dongle connected + the same setup above connecting the TB port on the adapter to windows laptop via TB3. Here, nothing is showing in the device tree and naturally I don't have any Kernel Panic if I unplug the TB cables. Last, windows laptop acts here as if my hackbook was delivering power over TB, but showing an error message "your adapter doesn't deliver enough power", something like that.
EDIT: this is a USB-C power port not a thunderbolt pass-through port (facepalm me, I've been fooled by the apparent lighting symbol - definitely not TB lol).

So that's it for tonight, tomorrow I will test it with original KNNSpeed TYPCSSDT to compare the differences.

Last question: what's the cheapest TB3 device (more common than daisy-chaining 2 laptops lol) money can buy, so we can continue testing? NVME TB3 enclosures costs an arm, eGPU the same... just can't afford it nor have the need for it.

I thought about using an original apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter but my guess is that the hack will see it as a USB Type-C to Ethernet adapter instead. I found a second hand Dell TB16 thunderbolt dock for 50$ on Craigslist (same as @auguzanellato), but again without any TB device connected to it I doubt I will see anything relevant regarding TB3.

NB: I am in a dual boot environment on the same SSD, having installed TB drivers/firmware for windows. I don't think it has any influence in these tests but I mention this because I've seen others like @kgp who managed to get it work (on desktop though, using another method) having installed these drivers on windows to succeed in OSX.

I had a feeling this was going to be the case since I started diving into this. So everyone using the that lastest setup has not TB3. Lol, well at least I provided all three methods for them to get it working.

Thanks so much for testing. Now that you at least having a TB3 device I think we can make progress. Cheapest ones I've seen are all +$200 and honestly for me USB-C docks works fine and way more affordable.

I have some other ideas that I'm actually looking into right now, reason for the quick response. I wonder if if we could get our hands on a full dump, Ioreg/dsdt/ssdt of an MBP 10,2. I have searched around but couldn't find one. You may wonder why? I was curious b/c the MBP 10,2 only has one thunderbolt port like us. Was curious what the differences were.

EDIT: MBP 9,1
Can you also take IOReg copies when you try the other methods please?

I will try to get something for you to test soon. This is getting exciting for me, thanks again!

Last edited:
I have some other ideas that I'm actually looking into right now, reason for the quick response. I wonder if if we could get our hands on a full dump, Ioreg/dsdt/ssdt of an MBP 10,2. I have searched around but couldn't find one. You may wonder why? I was curious b/c the MBP 10,2 only has one thunderbolt port like us. Was curious what the differences were.

So, you wanted a full MBP 10,2 dump, right? check your pm now lol

Can you also take IOReg copies when you try the other methods please?

You bet I will, Sherlock. lol

EDIT: Apparently 2 TB2 ports, see here: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro10,2

Last edited:
Hey guys,

@blazinsmokey i have tested your new V3.3 Clover folder. I have a few Problems.

I replaced my whole Clover folder with yours. Changed BoardSerialNumber and so on back to mine.

The problems I have now.

First is battery life. on idle my cpu never gets down to 800 MHz. When I use Jardenlius (Git repo) CPUFriend + CPUFriendDataProvider Kext I have 9 hours and on idle it stays on 800 MHz. Watt usage is 1-2W.

Second Problem. If I plug in my iPhone via USB-C to Lightning. The Battery drains extremely fast (Could it be that its trying to fast charge it with more Power? 29 Watt?).

And my iPhone isn't recognized when its plugged in via USB-C or USB-A cable. iTunes, Photos and so on don't see it.
But its charging :)

So and the last one is Bluetooth. I have a DW1830 Wifi/Bluetooth Module. And its not connecting to my bluetooth devices. Fixed this with Jardenlius Args for boot with clover: abm_firstpolldelay=16000 bpr_probedelay=100 bpr_initialdelay=300 bpr_postresetdelay=300

Do you have these bugs too?

Hi @LeLunZ how are you?

First is battery life. on idle my cpu never gets down to 800 MHz. When I use Jardenlius (Git repo) CPUFriend + CPUFriendDataProvider Kext I have 9 hours and on idle it stays on 800 MHz. Watt usage is 1-2W.

With Clover 3.2 and 3.3 i report idle at 800 Mhz with also 1 to 2 watt core consumption. Battery wise it’s more 6 hours, 8 hours being a maximum.

And my iPhone isn't recognized when its plugged in via USB-C or USB-A cable. iTunes, Photos and so on don't see it.
But its charging :)

My iphone 6 is detected without any issues via usb.

Did you cleared nvram many times as value can stick between changes?

Last edited:
Hi @LeLunZ how are you?

With Clover 3.2 and 3.3 i report idle at 800 Mhz with also 1 to 2 watt core consumption. Battery wise it’s more 6 hours, 8 hours being a maximum.

My iphone 6 is detected without any issues via usb.

Did you cleared nvram many times as value can stick between changes?

@mazakiss i am fine thx, and you?

Hmm, i cleared nvram with nvram -c and with clover F11 many times.

I will do a clean reinstall of my Hackintosh because I want to see if its fixing the iTunes/Netflix Bug I have. If its fixes the other issues I will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back