Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dell diagnosis says battery condition excellent. However it drains really fast in macOS. Will have to check how it holds up with Windows. Although "working" with Windows is really unpleasant.

The Dell diagnosis says battery condition excellent. However it drains really fast in macOS. Will have to check how it holds up with Windows. Although "working" with Windows is really unpleasant.
Yeah I'm not getting anywhere near those 7-10 hours people are reporting, from full battery I get 3.5 hours tops. Any suggestions what I can try? macOS reports 89% battery health. I'm using the DW1830 for WiFi, and a Toshiba m.2 SSD which has native support.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not getting anywhere near those 7-10 hours people are reporting, from full battery I get 3.5 hours tops. Any suggestions what I can try? macOS reports 89% battery health. I'm using the DW1830 for WiFi, and a Toshiba m.2 SSD which has native support.
It depends on many factors here.

Do you have an old 1 year+ battery you use everyday mostly without adapter?

In my case, I have a brand new 97W OEM calibrated Dell Battery, I get 5 to 7 hours depending on usage.

Like you « it seems » battery is draining fast like 1% down every 3 to 4 minutes, i.g almost 400 minutes = 6 hours, not that bad.

So nothing surprising here for me. It could be better for sure but that’s the more probable scenario you’ll get with this hackintosh. Even KNNSpeed reported the same duration, same for people testing Jardenliu guide.

Also in bios deactivate SD Card, USB powershare, and in Mac OS X deactivate bluetooth when you don’t use it. And check your battery health in Bios.

Last there is a guide on ultrabook forum to callibrate your battery, do it only if the battery hasn’t been used too much so far and most of all don’t overdo it once or twice in your whole battery lifetime.

I booted into bios on battery and let it discharge completely until hard shutdown. Then wait 3 to 5 hours to cool it down, very important step here, not doing this could worsen things. Reboot into bios connecting the adapter until full charge. Doing this I uncreased my full battery capacity from 85w to 94w, almost 10%.

So far ading ADP1 patch has improved battery behaviour, no more sudden discharge or 5 % gain when I connect the adapter.

Hope that helps.

Isn't that the same result as checking fixADP1 at clover?
Same results, not sure but same purpose with different method via SSDT Dynamic hotpatching, not via DSDT fixes. Already included in Clover 3.3 folder at post #1, read earlier posts for more details.

I just installed the 3.3 boot pack, I'l monitor how it works. Ist there a way to reset fan settings or somehow keep them low at low temperatures?

I just installed the 3.3 boot pack, I'l monitor how it works. Ist there a way to reset fan settings or somehow keep them low at low temperatures?
Nope. Already explained here. Fans have proprietary firmware and only 3 RPM fixed settings, no PMW. Contrary to windows you can't have fan control at all. It's hardcoded in the Bios, nothing we can do about it. And it won't work using FakeSMC if you wish on a dream, won't happen.

On Battery, my hack is nearly dead silent, fans are rarely blasting. On adapter, that's another story, maybe because of the heat generated by charging the laptop. I suspect Dell didn't apply the same fan settings for both. It is what it is.

So for once and for all, it won't work ever.

Interesting read here:

EDIT: Another interesting question is: if as explained above we manage to disable the default Dell Bios EC fan control, will the fans could be finally accessed by VirtualSMC or FakeSMC? That's a question for reverse engineering geniuses, way out of my capabilities sadly... Anyway, Dell people are definitely not idiots, and I still prefer a cool, sometimes noisy hack than a fried computer lol

Last edited:
Ok I think I solved this with Pike's updated fix from Feb.

Now, I can't seem to get the internal EFI to boot after updating to 10.14.5 from 10.14.2, but I can boot fine from USB. I tried repasting my Clover and everything to the internal EFI, managed to break windows, but it still doesn't seem to load the Kexts.

Ok, Clover has lost OSX again, which I assume is either from a Window's update somehow or OSX got corrupted, again, despite me never being on it today. The **** part is I always end up having to reinstall windows and configure it again to get OSX reinstalled.

Can someone please help point me in the right direction here? I am losing my mind. More than happy to contribute to someone's beer fund.

Ok, Clover has lost OSX again, which I assume is either from a Window's update somehow or OSX got corrupted, again, despite me never being on it today. The **** part is I always end up having to reinstall windows and configure it again to get OSX reinstalled.

Can someone please help point me in the right direction here? I am losing my mind. More than happy to contribute to someone's beer fund.

Okay, these can be the likely culprits

1 Check your hard drive health - Drives that corrupt like this can be not long of this earth
2 Are you doing 4k sectoring (You can convert your drive using a USB boot of Ubuntu) - Can be done with some models
3 Are you running some weird RAID config
4 Have you disabled hybernation
5 Are you running or somehow enabling filevault

Okay, these can be the likely culprits

1 Check your hard drive health - Drives that corrupt like this can be not long of this earth
2 Are you doing 4k sectoring (You can convert your drive using a USB boot of Ubuntu) - Can be done with some models
3 Are you running some weird RAID config
4 Have you disabled hybernation
5 Are you running or somehow enabling filevault

1 According to the dell checks, it is supposedly good. Do you recommend another check? Edit: Crystal Disk Info says the drive is in good health, 100%.
2 I used the kext for non 4k drive from OP, though I did not check in a linux distro if it was 4k capable and Pike's fix for LiteOn. Should I have checked my drive is not on 4k? I honestly never thought dell would have it in 4k mode.
3 Nope, no raid. Only my NVME.
4 Yep, with his built in ktext as a backup and the .sh ran multiple times. Plus I never booted it today and it disappeared today.
5 I am not running it, I doubt it got enabled by accident 5/6 times.

Thank you so much nikoel, I am losing it. I don't mind challenges but I cant find anything on how to diagnose this with google/my usual methods.

Second Edit: Verified it is currently in 512, not sure if it supports 4k or not. I am using the kext from OP for 512.

Last edited:
1 According to the dell checks, it is supposedly good. Do you recommend another check? Edit: Crystal Disk Info says the drive is in good health, 100%.
2 I used the kext for non 4k drive from OP, though I did not check in a linux distro if it was 4k capable and Pike's fix for LiteOn. Should I have checked my drive is not on 4k? I honestly never thought dell would have it in 4k mode.
3 Nope, no raid. Only my NVME.
4 Yep, with his built in ktext as a backup and the .sh ran multiple times. Plus I never booted it today and it disappeared today.
5 I am not running it, I doubt it got enabled by accident 5/6 times.

Thank you so much nikoel, I am losing it. I don't mind challenges but I cant find anything on how to diagnose this with google/my usual methods.

Second Edit: Verified it is currently in 512, not sure if it supports 4k or not. I am using the kext from OP for 512.

Well 4K is the way to go. But you need to make sure your HD supports it obviously. 512 could explain your experience, as you are not altering anything inside MacOS and windows has no way of even touching AFPS

I'm also running AHCI in BIOS. I can not remember if it's possible to run anything else as I never have run anything else. But if you are not, its worth a shot as well

With how many resources you're spending on this consider getting a new NVMe, the new ones are ridiculously powerful and present one of the best upgrades you can do to a laptop

**If you change to ANCI then your windows installation will no longer work from memory. You will have to reinstall. Again can't quite remember so check first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back