Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

Thanks for the incredible work. Unfortunately experiencing the same power issues. Using 20Watts idle using the latest clover config (3.2) non Kaby-Lake on i5-5300HQ, peaking at 40Watts whilst browsing the web? Kind of makes me think the dGPU isn't disabled. Is there anything I should be doing to optimise power usage?
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Hi All!

Thanks for the incredible work. Unfortunately experiencing the same power issues. Using 20Watts idle using the latest clover config (3.2) non Kaby-Lake on i5-5300HQ, peaking at 40Watts whilst browsing the web? Kind of makes me think the dGPU isn't disabled. Is there anything I should be doing to optimise power usage?
dGPU is definitely disabled, edited the guide to link to the post for possible correction on i5, take a look and please respond with results.

Thank you for your clover. I can finish to install the mac system. But it is always reboot when i get in the system. I need to change platform-id to 0x12345678 in config.the video memory become to 31m.

Which uploaded clover folder version are you using? Attaching debug files will be necessary as this issue has not come up for anyone. Make sure you using latest clover boot loader as well.

@mazakiss @auguzanellato sorry guys been overwhelmed with "life", I will be back testing hopefully next week sometime. I have read and followed along on my email updates and I'm glad you guys are still at it. I'm hoping I can confirm the changes you guys have tried and release a new config for the latest Mojave update 10.14.5. Will re-evaluate USB-C and TB3. Maybe I can come up with something. Again, sorry for not being able to help recently.

dGPU is definitely disabled, edited the guide to link to the post for possible correction on i5, take a look and please respond with results.

Thanks! I've been using that - however doesn't seem to have made a difference :(

Appreciate it though. I will continue using it as such until I find out what could be affecting it...

Which uploaded clover folder version are you using? Attaching debug files will be necessary as this issue has not come up for anyone. Make sure you using latest clover boot loader as well.

I have tried to use both clover3.1 and v3.2. Now I can get in the macOS after several times roboot. But it is always reboot when I used arcsoft photo+ to read photos. after reboot, I can find the power events from bios "power off-asf2 force off". and also temp of PCH is very high. here is my
preboot.log and the photo of bios. I am so confused. thank you for you help! IMG_1132.JPGIMG_1130.JPG

then I change platform-id to 0x12345678 in config. I can get in the Mac system. then I used arcsoft photo+ again. it is not work well and the fan was in high speed.

Attachments

• preboot.log.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 61
Hi, guys. Got my System to Work very well.
No Touchpad issues. Every gesture is working.
Power Stat in Intel Power gadget says in idle: PKG 1.9, CPU 0.5, DRAM 0.68
No fans are spinning in idle.
Intel Graphic is working with 2 Gb.

USB-C is working most of the time. I can hot plug one monitor or SSD, even my iphone.
Audioport is working. (Using Combojack)

My system:
Dell xps 9560
with the bigger battery
500 Gb SSD
1080p Display

Need to try the new Typ-C, and Thunderbolt SSDT Patch :D but this is my clover folder right now. I edited a few things and changed a bit. (got a other clover config and combined them)
If you want to try it out. Give it a shot. Its working with Mac os 10.14.4.
If someone can test it with 10.14.5, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 76
Hi @LeLunZ how are you?

Ok, so you basically adapted that install from https://github.com/jardenliu/XPS15-9560-Mojave/tree/master/CLOVER, right?

Can you report what are the result compare to method from @blazinsmokey ?

- Are USB-c/USB devices ALWAYS mounts when hotpluging? As PCI devices in System Report?
- What kind of adapter/dock do you use?
- Does HDMI 4K @60Hz works?
- Same for TB3 if you have device to test.
- Is . everything (screens, USB devices, iPhone) work when all is plugged in simultaneously?
- Any noticeably fan behaviour differences since? Same with our without power supply plugged in?
- Can you see your fans RPM with HWMonitorSMC2 ? (I don't think it's possible yet, but heard some sensors have been implemented for desktop mobos recently). I ask because of your FAN-SSDT in ACPI folder.
- No more iTunes black screen when playing movies?
- iMessage, Handoff?

Can you please detail a little bit more what modification you did so everyone can benefit and learn and moreover to add up to OP hard work?

Note: I have the same laptop model as you minus fingerprint reader and big battery and everything works stable. Couldn't test TB (no devices).

Cheers.

Last edited:
@mazakiss jardenliu's version didn't work for me.
and @blazinsmokey did use too much batterie.
So I switched some files from @blazinsmokey with them.
And edited some3.

And I am using more/other kexts than him.
Plist should be nearly the same.

USB-C always mounts. But I can't plug in a third monitor, with my Usb-C to HDMI adapter. Then it crashes.
Tomorrow I will try it with @blazinsmokey USB-C and TB3 aml files...

Cant test 4k HDMI :3

Everything is working simultaneously. iPhone + usb + ssds + screen + Keyboard + Mouse + Hub with 10 extra USB ports :D

Itunes is only a problem on my Machine... tried the same clover config on a friends machine. And he doesn't get a DRM error....

@blazinsmokey version used to much battery life (tested on an earlier version)
jardenlius USB-C is not working correctly.
So you can take the git repo. Replace the USB-C thunderbolt fixes.
And you are good to go. (If battery life sucks, take the DataProvider.kext from @blazinsmokey)

And I don't know if its already in this thread but to gain more CPU efficiency you can enable SpeedShift by changing some Values ;)

Last edited:
Last macOS 10.14.5 update went smoothly as usual.

@LeLunZ you are right, battery is draining pretty fast, only 3h max with my small 56W battery while web browsing (no videos). Thank you for the SpeedShift info you shared.

What do you use SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext for in your install ?
Also SMCLightSensor.kext isn't necessary since we don't have any light sensor for our laptop screen.

Don't hesitate to report your result after replacing new @blazinsmokey TYPC and TB SSDT.

Cheers!

Last edited:
@mazakiss jardenliu's version didn't work for me.
and @blazinsmokey did use too much batterie.
So I switched some files from @blazinsmokey with them.
And edited some3.

And I am using more/other kexts than him.
Plist should be nearly the same.

USB-C always mounts. But I can't plug in a third monitor, with my Usb-C to HDMI adapter. Then it crashes.
Tomorrow I will try it with @blazinsmokey USB-C and TB3 aml files...

Cant test 4k HDMI :3

Everything is working simultaneously. iPhone + usb + ssds + screen + Keyboard + Mouse + Hub with 10 extra USB ports :D

Itunes is only a problem on my Machine... tried the same clover config on a friends machine. And he doesn't get a DRM error....

@blazinsmokey version used to much battery life (tested on an earlier version)
jardenlius USB-C is not working correctly.
So you can take the git repo. Replace the USB-C thunderbolt fixes.
And you are good to go. (If battery life sucks, take the DataProvider.kext from @blazinsmokey)

And I don't know if its already in this thread but to gain more CPU efficiency you can enable SpeedShift by changing some Values ;)

Good morning LeLunz,

Have you enabled SpeedShift on your XPS? I'm wary of the BIOS mods and many items in the thread suggest that it can be enabled by OS software, such as the programs mentioned. Unfortunately, they appear to all be Windows. Do you know of, or have you implemented any patches on the macOS side of things to enable this functionality?

Apparently the Clover flag "HWPEnable" enables SpeedShift on our XPS systems, which is present in both config.plist files, so BIOS mods should not be necessary.

Hi @InsaneCultist Yes I did the Bios mod.

@mazakiss If you want to get more Battery life and lower temps you can undervolt your System.
I am using VoltageShift.
Give it a try if you want.

Changing the TB AND TYPC file did not change anything.
Removed SMC LIGHT sensor kext xD

Does somebody know, why windows and Mac OS is giving me a other EDID.
I saw that I forgot to replace jardenliu EDID with mine. So I got mine in Windows and removed jardenliu's.
Then I was like...why not try to reinstall mojave. And then my EDID changed again. Now Its not the one in Clover and not the one from Windows...

So is Windows and Mac getting other EDIDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back