Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that it panics if I hot unplug the dock, but not immediately, after 2 to 3 seconds and in the meanwhile it isn't frozen, kind of strange...

EDIT: if I hot plug the dock both usb3 and dp are working, but usb2 isn't. Modified attached files: now tb16_coldplug is the result I get if I boot my laptop with the dell connected, tb16_hotplug is the result I get if I boot my laptop without the dock attached, I log into macOS and then I plug it in.

Attachments

• TB16_coldplug.ioreg
    8.9 MB · Views: 75
  • TB16_hotplug.ioreg
    9.2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Clover Update and Info Below

iGPU Framebuffer Update

@carking
Screen no longer flickers during wake from sleep when opening lid. This was actually an easy fix. Spoofing to Sky Lake iGPU in the Framebuffer fixes this and other iGPU issues in the spoiler. It also additionally needs lilucpu=8 in boot args.
"Problems with Kaby Lake Graphics There are some currently known issues with Kaby Lake graphics:
-Connecting HDMI display or TV causes the Internal Display of the laptop to have very low refresh rate "look like" and laggy cursor.
- Unplugging the HDMI display or TV will leave your internal display of the laptop stay black and you will be forced to Hard Reboot by holding power button and then to boot again.
- Shadows, Backgrounds, Blurry images and Windows will appear pixelated and ugly looking." (source)]

This will be the standard config until we see fixes down the road. There is an identical config named, config kb.plist (Kaby Lake) as well so you can switch back and forth to see. If anyone notices any differences please share. I haven't noticed anything but I also haven't dealt with those other problems either.

I've been using the newest Kaby Lake config from your later post and have had the most stable experience I've had with my XPS 15, even when it was on Sierra. I do still get the screen flicker with this config, as expected, but I've had no crashes during sleep in over a week. Tonight I will swap to the Skylake spoof and see if I experience the crashes again.

Hi @auguzanellato I didn’t had the time to check your IOReg yet, I will test Usb2 (only tested usb 3 and hdmi that works, I don’t have tb or dp devices to test)

I can confirm like @blazinsmokey said that you can nowremove AppleBacklight kext since Whatevergreen includes it.

Now you can have backlight stored and recalled at each boot only using Whatevergreen only, and have full black screen dim at lowest seting, nice.

In the meantime I’m trying to retrieve xps temp sensor chip model and see if we can use it in VirtualSmc to have fan control (althought not being PWM controlled). That would be incredible if possible.

Aida64 indicates a generic Dell SMI diode but I cannot find more information on this yet. If someone knowledgeable like @ModMike knows how to integrate xps sensors with virtualSMC, I’m more than interested.

Cheers

I'm using the Clover 3 folder. I've only tested the DP port and LAN port via the docking station and they both work perfectly. I did have to install this driver for ethernet to start working (although MacOS did see the ethernet port, it didn't work): http://download.sharkoon.com/0012-RTUNICv1.0.17.zip

Hello, I also have my precision 5520 with osx 10.14.4, but dell d59gg can't work properly, how do you solve it? (I downloaded and installed RTUNICv1.0.17, but still can't)

19/05/12 I solved it, the method is in the post.

Last edited:
Hi @auguzanellato I didn’t had the time to check your IOReg yet, I will test Usb2 (only tested usb 3 and hdmi that works, I don’t have tb or dp devices to test)

I can confirm like @blazinsmokey said that you can nowremove AppleBacklight kext since Whatevergreen includes it.

Now you can have backlight stored and recalled at each boot only using Whatevergreen only, and have full black screen dim at lowest seting, nice.

In the meantime I’m trying to retrieve xps temp sensor chip model and see if we can use it in VirtualSmc to have fan control (althought not being PWM controlled). That would be incredible if possible.

Aida64 indicates a generic Dell SMI diode but I cannot find more information on this yet. If someone knowledgeable like @ModMike knows how to integrate xps sensors with virtualSMC, I’m more than interested.

Cheers
Have you tried cold plugging the tb3? In that case I get not functioning usb3.
Regarding the applebacklight kext in fact I removed it a couple of months ago after I read about it on the internet.

USB3 is working both on Dell D6000 and cheap usb-c adapter. None of these adapters are thunderbolt compatible and I have no TB devices to test.

USB-C/USB3/HDMI 4K 60Hz cold pluging and hot pluging both works now after clearing NVRAM an insane amount times and updating Aptiomemoryfix driver.

My laptop is the same "first batch" xps with 1080p screen and no fingerprint like Blazinsmokey. Could be nice if anyone with 4K screen and TB3 dock like you could also report here to compare.

Did you tried removing SSDT-TB3-9560.aml and test if USB 3 is working without it?
I had this conflict before when no usb3 ports were working when old SSDT-TB3.aml was present.
I haven't had any issues since the latest 3.2 changes.

USB3 is working both on Dell D6000 and cheap usb-c adapter. None of these adapters are thunderbolt compatible and I have no TB devices to test.

USB-C/USB3/HDMI 4K 60Hz cold pluging and hot pluging both works now after clearing NVRAM an insane amount times and updating Aptiomemoryfix driver.

My laptop is the same "first batch" xps with 1080p screen and no fingerprint like Blazinsmokey. Could be nice if anyone with 4K screen and TB3 dock like you could also report here to compare.

Did you tried removing SSDT-TB3-9560.aml and test if USB 3 is working without it?
I had this conflict before when no usb3 ports were working when old SSDT-TB3.aml was present.
I haven't had any issues since the latest 3.2 changes.
I don’t have any usbc 3.0 devices to test, I only have a usb c 2.0 hub, but the problem isn’t with usb imho because iirc usb on my tb3 dock is on a pci-e controller

Hello, I also have my precision 5520 with osx 10.14.4, but dell d59gg can't work properly, how do you solve it? (I downloaded and installed RTUNICv1.0.17, but still can't)

I've solved it. HERE IS THE SOLUTION:

The following applies to your installation system before replacing the network card, for example, you have used other external USB network card Nullethernet mode, if you have adopted this mode, Nullernet's virtual internal network card will occupy your en0 position. We first need to delete the NullEthernet driver, then delete the system network related information, and replace the built-in network card we have as en0. If you are replacing the network card and then installing the system, you do not need to do the following, your built-in network card will be automatically recognized by the system as en0. (In other words, facetime can be used normally. The key to the app store function is whether you have a built-in network card that is recognized by the computer as en0, whether it is real or virtual)

Author: Yao_Fairytale
Link: https://www.jianshu.com/p/e490108cd6e6
Source: JianShu
The copyright of the words is owned by the author. Any form of reprint should be contacted by the author for authorization and the source.

Thank you for your clover. I can finish to install the mac system. But it is always reboot when i get in the system. I need to change platform-id to 0x12345678 in config.the video memory become to 31m.
It is very strange.i am confused. Thank you for your help.

My specification:
  • Dell XPS 9560
  • i7-7700HQ
  • Intel HD 630
  • PM961 Samsung NVME 512
  • Dell DW1830

I have been struggling pretty hard with some battery life issues on my 9560. coconutBattery reports 10~12ish watts on idle. Ive employed most the tricks I can find such as removing the CPUFriend/DataProvider kexts, enabling Intel PowerShift via EFI shell, disabling SD Card reader, yet I still seem to be burning flat within 2-2 1/2 hours. This is on the 57Wh battery not the 97.

Hi All!

Thanks for the incredible work. Unfortunately experiencing the same power issues. Using 20Watts idle using the latest clover config (3.2) non Kaby-Lake on i5-5300HQ, peaking at 40Watts whilst browsing the web? Kind of makes me think the dGPU isn't disabled. Is there anything I should be doing to optimise power usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back