Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right. You're likely to forget you're using anything other then a macbook pro. Especially when you have a 4k display (which I don't have, because I prefer the extra hours of battery life).
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Hi guys is it normal that the cursor disappears and the trackpad pauses working for a sec after a letter or funcion key is pressed? It's just a bit annoying

Does your 7700HQ ever reach 3.80GHz? Mine seems to cap at 3.50GHz for some reason... I'm using the suggested configuration as per the OP, I do get 800MHz when idle, but I don't seem to ever touch the max turbo boost frequency...

Been a while since I have even remotely worried about this hack. I have some time today and thought I'd give you guys a visit. I only went back a few pages to see questions so if I missed it, reply back and I'll try to answer.

Looks like everyone is figuring things out which is nice. Also nice, I got a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 dongle finally for use on my 4K TV. It works for the most part hot plug and all, no crashes. Has some weird issues where if I let it goes to sleep or the screen goes to sleep, it wakes up at 4K 30Hz instead of 60Hz, a quick unplug and replug fixes it. I may look into this later, I think it may actually just be the cheap dongle I have or the Framebuffer patch we are using.

Not much else just keep your kexts and clover updated for 10.14.3. Still using 3.0 Clover from OP.

EDIT: I forgot, but this is actually a pretty big deal. During updating the kexts I forget when but AppleBacklightFixup is obsolete for most cases now BUT not for us. IRCC we use a ssdt pnfl, which fakes an ambient light sensor. If you remove this kext and strictly use WhateverGreen to handle brightness you'll likely lose the ability to change and or save your brightness.

Just wanted to say huge THANK YOU! Another Dell Precision 5520 happy camper! :)
Nobody? This thing is really annoying, in a few hours the battery is flat....

First off I'm glad the 5520 is working nicely for most of you. I could make a note of it and include the 5520 into the guide but since I don't have hardware, testing obviously is hard and I'm not sure I want to confuse people.

For the users with the 5520, I have some ideas. Don't kill me if they don't work. Sleep and power management/battery life could be related to my usage of CPU friend as I don't believe you guys all have the 7700HQ. This differentiation could be the difference between proper sleep and not. So you can try removing CPUFriend and the DataProvider kexts and HWP option in your clover config.plist. Report back to see if that makes a difference. If your even more inclined you can create your own data provider kexts for whatever processor you may have.

Just wondering @blazinsmokey - how is battery management working for you?....
Honestly ran my hack untethered for a long time till recently and I averaged 8 hours give or take on battery. I do have the bigger battery though and run my screen at just above 50% brightness. Safari with a few tabs and MS Word. Some pycharm, vs code as well. Never really had an issue with my battery.

Hi guys is it normal that the cursor disappears and the trackpad pauses working for a sec after a letter or funcion key is pressed? It's just a bit annoying
This is normal. Macs have had this functionality built in for over a decade.

Does your 7700HQ ever reach 3.80GHz? ...
If you are looking at Intel Power Gadget, it doesn't show per core performance it's an average of all of them. Turbo boost only actives 1 core to 3.8GHz.

Last edited:
If you are looking at Intel Power Gadget, it doesn't show per core performance it's an average of all of them. Turbo boost only actives 1 core to 3.8GHz.

I am indeed! Thanks for the reply!
HWMonitor used to allow me to check the frequency of each core but also the package frequency which I guess is the average I also see in Intel's tool... Is their a good alternative to HWMonitor for VirtualSMC?

I am indeed! Thanks for the reply!
HWMonitor used to allow me to check the frequency of each core but also the package frequency which I guess is the average I also see in Intel's tool... Is their a good alternative to HWMonitor for VirtualSMC?

Sorry unfortunately I don't think so. iStat Menu is another option but I don't believe it shows per core. As a side note if it's averaging 3.5GHz when under full load you could assume turbo boost is working properly. Let us know if you figure something out.

@blazinsmokey I finally took the plunge and installed Mojave- this build is working great save for one thing which is actually pretty annoying... I get a LOT of double clicks. It doesn't matter whether I'm using the trackpad or a USB mouse. Any ideas?

@blazinsmokey... I get a LOT of double clicks. It doesn't matter whether I'm using the trackpad or a USB mouse. Any ideas?

First time hearing of this problem. Maybe it's your settings in accessibility, change your double click speed?

I tried setting it to the fastest setting and it has had no effect :(

Just got my XPS 15 working brilliantly with this guide. Everything I've tried so far seems to be working. I do have one question, however.

I'd like to use the INS key as a Push-to-Talk key for TeamSpeak and/or Discord since macOS does not use the key as Windows does, but as it is, it doesn't seem like keypresses from that key are being passed through to macOS at all.

Tested first by trying to bind the key to different programs, since I thought they might be the problem, but then I installed Karabiner-EventViewer, and they don't show up there either. I also checked to see if it works in my Windows 10 dualboot, and it does, so it's not a hardware issue. Does anyone know if this could be an issue with the SSDT/DSDT or kext implementation? And if it is, can it be remedied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back