Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "Dell SK Hynix 512GB HFS512GD9MND PC300 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD PCIe Gen3".
Default on a Dell XPS. I have bios version 12.1 I think? I'm not sure; I updated it last weekend with the newest from the website of Dell.

Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I'll have time to make the correct debug. I used the script from the link in the first post and I just followed the installation and first run questions in the terminal. What arguments should I send?

Edit: also I will try to use this app to see if my trackpad is actually registering two fingers or not: http://blog.sendapatch.se/2009/november/multitouch-on-unibody-macbooks.html . Got my inspiration from here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/139

In order for my two fingers for right click to work, I needed to enable 'Tap to click' (Tap with one finger). Skimmed through the thread, so I don't know if you have that option enabled already.

This activates two-finger tap for right click. My two-finger click does not work for right click, but I am also a tapper and not a clicker anyways.

On a side note, I've undervolted my XPS with voltageshift by -120mV. It says it is undervolted when I check voltageshift's info command, but I don't know if it's really undervolted. My laptop battery life does feel like it's longer, but I have no real proof and might be placebo effect. Average temperatures are low 40s with light load (visual studio code open with around 10 chrome tabs and one server). I guess I can run prime95 with a high undervolt to confirm if it will crash my laptop to see if it really works, but maybe when I'm more free.

Your debug files are missing boot log and a proper ioreg dump. Use the script linked in the guide.
Also what bios version are you using? Update to same one I'm using and make sure your bios settings are ideal as well.

Edit: What NVME do you have that you need that patch?

You guys are f'ing genius!
In the trackpad settings you have to enable the 3rd option: "Tap to Click".
Things work smooth after that. This took me way too long to figure out, but not he upside I now know wtf all the acronyms are for and how this all works.

Also blazinsmokey: why did you want to know what name I'm using?

@blazinsmokey could you update the first post saying that if you want tap-to-click then the settings should be:https://imgur.com/a/Y5zAv9v

@blazinsmokey could you update the first post saying that if you want tap-to-click then the settings should be:https://imgur.com/a/Y5zAv9v

Lol, yea you need that setting on for tap to click to work. Glad you got it sorted out. Thought that was obvious but I guess not. I can make a note of it.

I was curious about your NVME, b/c I thought 4K LBA and 512 were both supported already now but I guess not. I can make a note in guide of the patch you're using if this is the case.

Hey, I tried booting into safe mode and got stuck with similar results.
I was able to log in using single-user mode, but didn't want to go in and delete anything via terminal because I still might need the update files if they're there.

One interesting thing I saw was that when going to boot either the update or the OS, they both say macOS 10.14.2, meaning it looks like it either updated or at least changed the version number. Any ideas?

If you can get in on single user mode maybe attach debug problem reporting files using the script. I think the update files are corrupt or hopefully not but you os files are corrupt. If you didn't disable hibernation that could be a possibility. Deleting the update files as suggested before shouldn't cause more problems than you are already having I think. You might eventually need to just start over.

You guys are f'ing genius!
In the trackpad settings you have to enable the 3rd option: "Tap to Click".
Things work smooth after that. This took me way too long to figure out, but not he upside I now know wtf all the acronyms are for and how this all works.

I have the same issue that i have brought up here in few posts before. While @Rainer1967 is happy enough with tap to click i would prefer to have a proper click as tap is not good for me. Can this be a kext issue? Possible bug that could be reported? Whoh has created it if i could ask?

On the other note...yesterday 2 strange things happened:
1. my bluetooth went unavailable, so i tried few things and restart os in between but went unavailable anyways, next day (after crashing see point 2.) bluetooth after cold shutdown went back on after starting up working again, now as i look again bluetooth is unavailable
2. so i was using my laptop yesterday for few hours on battery at around 35% i closed the lid and placed it in case and in backpack, next day morning i am going to take it out and it was roasting hot!! whole case yet whole backpack! So obviously the battery was 0% so put it to charger boot it up and is ok now, but that one scared can someone find out from my debug files what happened? I have same xps as OP except 4k and dw1830.
Thanks

Attachments

• debug_14504.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 107
Lol, yea you need that setting on for tap to click to work. Glad you got it sorted out. Thought that was obvious but I guess not. I can make a note of it.

I was curious about your NVME, b/c I thought 4K LBA and 512 were both supported already now but I guess not. I can make a note in guide of the patch you're using if this is the case.

Thats the strange thing as well, my nvme is 4k formatted but still it won't recognize it without the extra text to kext.

Also: killswitx: it's actually quite usable because even if I click with two finger the click registers :)

i know but many miss taps can happen with it,

anyone know what to do with bluetooth?

i know but many miss taps can happen with it,

anyone know what to do with bluetooth?

I'm on the keyboard about 6+ hours a day and I don't have many mistaps with tap to click. My palm does not touch the keyboard/touchpad; I find that if I dangle my fingers/hand over the keyboard while typing, my wrist doesn't hurt at all after extended use. It did take a while getting used to, but worth it if you're typing over long periods of time (nothing beats taking short breaks to stretch though). But most of my coworkers/people I know don't use tap to click, so I can see where you're coming from.

I also have the bluetooth problem where it goes "Bluetooth unavailable" after I wake from sleep, as I use a bluetooth speaker. I don't know how to replicate the issue, but it always goes away when I restart the laptop and happens maybe 1 out of 20+ times after I wake from sleep.

I tried installing the Bluetooth kexts to L/E, along with keeping it with kexts/other and Detect Kexts on, but no luck. There was still bluetooth unavailable from time to time.

In a second attempt, I removed the Bluetooth kexts from kexts/Other and kept it in L/E and it resulted in a kernel panic after 30 seconds after logging in, 100% of the time. I don't know if I had to remove any hotpatches or anything else besides stuff from Kexts/Other. I quickly put the BT kexts back from Trash to kexts/other as fast as I could before any more kernel panics.

Kext cache rebuilt after every kext change.

But that is a minor annoyance; would be great if it could be fixed though. My network card is a DW1560.

I also had the same issue as you where my laptop woke up from sleep in my backpack. It was extremely warm-hot and my battery was drained from 100%. It only happened once in the past 3-4 months since I had hackintosh on it (never happened with Windows/Linux), but like the previous issue, I can't replicate it and it was months ago.

Last edited:
I'm on the keyboard about 6+ hours a day and I don't have many mistaps with tap to click. My palm does not touch the keyboard/touchpad; I find that if I dangle my fingers/hand over the keyboard while typing, my wrist doesn't hurt at all after extended use. It did take a while getting used to, but worth it if you're typing over long periods of time (nothing beats taking short breaks to stretch though). But most of my coworkers/people I know don't use tap to click, so I can see where you're coming from.

I also have the bluetooth problem where it goes "Bluetooth unavailable" after I wake from sleep, as I use a bluetooth speaker. I don't know how to replicate the issue, but it always goes away when I restart the laptop and happens maybe 1 out of 20+ times after I wake from sleep.

I tried installing the Bluetooth kexts to L/E, along with keeping it with kexts/other and Detect Kexts on, but no luck. There was still bluetooth unavailable from time to time.

In a second attempt, I removed the Bluetooth kexts from kexts/Other and kept it in L/E and it resulted in a kernel panic after 30 seconds after logging in, 100% of the time. I don't know if I had to remove any hotpatches or anything else besides stuff from Kexts/Other. I quickly put the BT kexts back from Trash to kexts/other as fast as I could before any more kernel panics.

Kext cache rebuilt after every kext change.

But that is a minor annoyance; would be great if it could be fixed though. My network card is a DW1560.

I also had the same issue as you where my laptop woke up from sleep in my backpack. It was extremely warm-hot and my battery was drained from 100%. It only happened once in the past 3-4 months since I had hackintosh on it (never happened with Windows/Linux), but like the previous issue, I can't replicate it and it was months ago.

Thanks, sure the tap thing isn't a big thing, but would be nice not to have bt going off, i didnt see it mentioned before thus at least i know i am not alone here on this one :/
Anyways after restart it is still there unavailable, anyways looks like i get bt unavailable when getting of from sleep only when after charging but also sometimes it went away also during just doing things on laptop...

ok rebuiding kextcache and then restart made in available again.

overheating while sleep happened again now, i just came and laptop is hot, battery is only at 50% so i guess it must have started just now who knows for what reason, kernel_task was having most of cpu percentage..

Thanks for this guide. This is so much cleaner. My only problem is the keyboard not working randomly every reboot or cold boot. I have to mess around the kextcache to make it work again.

my configuration is same as you .4k screen i7 cpu

may I read your clover?? thanks .

I used the clover 3.0. it always to reboot after get in the systme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back