Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get that to work, like what did you do post install?
It just worked. Not sure if relevant, but I had HS already, then cleaned up/upgraded my EFI folder and config.plist very carefully, then upgraded to Mojave through the standard Mac App Store download path

or if I should move the VoodooI2C to Library/Extensions?
That is the more correct place for all the custom kexts anyway, but note that I have an issue where if I have VoodooI2C and VoodooI2CHID in /L/E, then gestures don't work. If placed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, everything works well.

Interesting...
Since with my fresh install the secondary click with two fingers worked but absolutely no gestures and the touchpad was slow in the sense that a small motion of the mouse took a lot of swiping. Then I reboot and the touchpad feels like it should with gestures but no secondary click. Every other reboot retains the 'good' touchpad functionality :)

So which kexts about the touchpad do you have in the /Other? Do you have any idea about the versions? Maybe I'm just coping with a version mismatch somehow?
Do you have any input related kexts in the /L/E?

Last edited:
@Rainer1967 - I should say, my setup most closely aligns with the v3.0 zip from this thread

Interesting...
Since with my fresh install the secondary click with two fingers worked but absolutely no gestures and the touchpad was slow in the sense that a small motion of the mouse took a lot of swiping. Then I reboot and the touchpad feels like it should with gestures but no secondary click. Every other reboot retains the 'good' touchpad functionality :)

So which kexts about the touchpad do you have in the /Other? Do you have any idea about the versions? Maybe I'm just coping with a version mismatch somehow?
Do you have any input related kexts in the /L/E?

Make sure clover and all your kexts are updated to latest version and rebuild kext cache. As polarbear128 has said. Also you can try clearing NVRAM at the clover boot screen. I believe it's F11.

If not working then attach debug files. I'll take a look but I have no problems with secondary click by tapping with two fingers. Clicking down on the trackpad with two fingers however does not work, but I never tried until you brought this up. I'm a tapper not a clicker :lol:

So I experimented:
  1. Updated to newest kexts. No nice.
  2. VooDoo kexts into Library/Extentions. Didn't work
  3. For some reason it crashed when I was deleting it and I couldn't boot anymore? Got stuck on some weird waiting for cpu timeout message.
  4. Got it to work again through single user mode, deleted the kexts from Library/Extentions. Rebuilt cache, no dice.
  5. Deleted NVRAM, no dice.
It doesn't really matter if you tab or click. it just won't register the two finger secondary click. I don't know anymore. I'll post the debug files soon!

edit: here is my debug. I hope you have more luck then I do. I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

• debug_13090.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
here is my debug. I hope you have more luck then I do. I really appreciate the help!

Your debug files are missing boot log and a proper ioreg dump. Use the script linked in the guide.
Also what bios version are you using? Update to same one I'm using and make sure your bios settings are ideal as well.

Edit: What NVME do you have that you need that patch?

Your debug files are missing boot log and a proper ioreg dump. Use the script linked in the guide.
Also what bios version are you using? Update to same one I'm using and make sure your bios settings are ideal as well.

Edit: What NVME do you have that you need that patch?

I have a "Dell SK Hynix 512GB HFS512GD9MND PC300 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD PCIe Gen3".
Default on a Dell XPS. I have bios version 12.1 I think? I'm not sure; I updated it last weekend with the newest from the website of Dell.

Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I'll have time to make the correct debug. I used the script from the link in the first post and I just followed the installation and first run questions in the terminal. What arguments should I send?

Edit: also I will try to use this app to see if my trackpad is actually registering two fingers or not: http://blog.sendapatch.se/2009/november/multitouch-on-unibody-macbooks.html . Got my inspiration from here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/139

Last edited:
I have a "Dell SK Hynix 512GB HFS512GD9MND PC300 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD PCIe Gen3".
Default on a Dell XPS. I have bios version 12.1 I think? I'm not sure; I updated it last weekend with the newest from the website of Dell.

Later tonight or maybe tomorrow I'll have time to make the correct debug. I used the script from the link in the first post and I just followed the installation and first run questions in the terminal. What arguments should I send?

Edit: also I will try to use this app to see if my trackpad is actually registering two fingers or not: http://blog.sendapatch.se/2009/november/multitouch-on-unibody-macbooks.html . Got my inspiration from here: https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/139

In order for my two fingers for right click to work, I needed to enable 'Tap to click' (Tap with one finger). Skimmed through the thread, so I don't know if you have that option enabled already.

This activates two-finger tap for right click. My two-finger click does not work for right click, but I am also a tapper and not a clicker anyways.

On a side note, I've undervolted my XPS with voltageshift by -120mV. It says it is undervolted when I check voltageshift's info command, but I don't know if it's really undervolted. My laptop battery life does feel like it's longer, but I have no real proof and might be placebo effect. Average temperatures are low 40s with light load (visual studio code open with around 10 chrome tabs and one server). I guess I can run prime95 with a high undervolt to confirm if it will crash my laptop to see if it really works, but maybe when I'm more free.

Last edited:
Try to boot into safe mode, then delete the update files, I think it's Library/Updates, double check around to be sure. Then try the process again.

Hey, I tried booting into safe mode and got stuck with similar results.
I was able to log in using single-user mode, but didn't want to go in and delete anything via terminal because I still might need the update files if they're there.

One interesting thing I saw was that when going to boot either the update or the OS, they both say macOS 10.14.2, meaning it looks like it either updated or at least changed the version number. Any ideas?

Here is a screenshot of the verbose boot for safe mode:
W5vcrbv.jpg

EDIT: I found something interesting when trying to boot the update partition... in the picture below, it shows that it is mounting certain drives as HFS partitions, but my partition was converted to APFS when updating to Mojave, no doubt in my mind. Could this affect it?

EQrG6Vo.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back