Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, can't see anything suspicious.

Code:
2019-07-17 01:14:28 +0200 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=92':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:100%) 28027 secs
2019-07-17 01:14:44 +0200 PM Client Acks          Delays to Sleep notifications: [com.apple.apsd is slow(16029 ms)]           
2019-07-17 09:01:34 +0200 Kernel Client Acks      Delays to Sleep notifications: [AppleIntelFramebuffer driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)(1495 ms)] [powerd is slow(16032 ms)]           
2019-07-17 09:01:35 +0200 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to PBTN LID0/User: Using BATT (Charge:38%)           
2019-07-17 09:01:35 +0200 Kernel Client Acks      Delays to Wake notifications: [ApplePS2Controller driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(417 ms)] [AppleIntelFramebuffer driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(441 ms)] [en0 driver is slow(msg: DidChangeState to 2)(477 ms)] [AppleHDADriver driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)(522 ms)] [PRT1 driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(1105 ms)]

pmset -g assertions
Code:
2019-07-17 09:13:32 +0200 
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 99(hidd): [0x0000001c00098025] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968188.3" 
    Timeout will fire in 120 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 258(mds_stores): [0x0000003c000b8091] 00:04:16 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power" 
   pid 64(mds): [0x00000015000b800e] 00:04:54 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power" 
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=1/1/70 1:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14100000 owner=USB Receiver
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

Maybe it's the USB Receiver? Will test it tonight.

I'm using USB-A because, curiously, I can't boot when connected to USB-C (and as far as I know it's configured in BIOS to allow is so... go figure) (I've attached ioreg output with both -f and -l in hopes that one of them is a useful format)

Anyway attached is my ioreg -- I hope this format works, let me know if you need it in different format -- the boot device is a Samsung T5

Use the troubleshooting debug script posted in the guide to get the ioreg or just attach the whole zip. Sorry but sifting throught a text file is not ideal.

Use the troubleshooting debug script posted in the guide to get the ioreg or just attach the whole zip. Sorry but sifting throught a text file is not ideal.

Ok -- sorry, first timer using ioreg

attached...

Attachments

• johns_work_mac.lan.ioreg
    6.2 MB · Views: 76
Ok -- sorry, first timer using ioreg

attached...

No worries. So I see it's plugged into SS02, lets keep it that way. I believe that's the left side right in front of the AC plug. That port also doubles as Dell's USB Power share. Do you have that option in BIOS turned on? If not, try turning that on first to see if it behaves differently.

Second thing to try is set the port to internal to see if it'll make a difference on wake. Maybe the system will treat it more like an internal drive instead.

Open up the Info.plist in USBPorts.kext and under SS02 change the connector from 3 to 255 which will make macOS believe it's internal, like your webcam/keyboard/etc. Screenshot of what I'm talking about below.
USBPorts.png
No guarantees either of things work but it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work the next thing in the plist you could change is the power. Which you can easily identify above the ports. Make the sleep power supply the same as wake.

Other than that you could try to have the laptop not sleep at all but only go into a state of deep idle. That can be done by putting the deepidle SSDTs back in and see if the drive wakes up fast enough or stays awake during deep idle. It'll save considerable amount of energy. vs just leaving it on. Not as much as normal sleep but I believe deep idle takes the system power draw down to the range of 3-4 watts or even lower. I could only get a reading on waking from there and it was 3-4W.

Other than that you could try to have the laptop not sleep at all but only go into a state of deep idle. That can be done by putting the deepidle SSDTs back in and see if the drive wakes up fast enough or stays awake during deep idle. It'll save considerable amount of energy. vs just leaving it on. Not as much as normal sleep but I believe deep idle takes the system power draw down to the range of 3-4 watts or even lower. I could only get a reading on waking from there and it was 3-4W.

@blazinsmokey -- you are a god.

I was working through your list and none of them were working -- I even tried to re-enable hibernate and that doesn't work (it hibernates fine but won't come out of it)

it's getting late and I was getting ready to go to sleep but I thought I'd try your final 'deepidle' trick -- I put that ssdt in (honestly not expecting much) rebooted and now it seems to work.

It's not as good as a sleep but it does quiet down the system, display off, power down the usb and when I re-apply power it comes back to life!

Given the bizzare thing I'm doing I'm pretty happy -- this is a much more workable solution than I had plannned on!

so in summary -- in the unusual case of using an external SSD usb drive deepidle ssdt seems to work to recover from 'sleep' -- nothing else (internal USB, re-enable hibernate) seems to work.

deepidle does seem to keep the keyboard backlight on and probably isn't as good as a proper sleep but for how I use this it's more than accceptable.

Thanks!!!!

(Edit --I let it 'deep idle' overnight -- about 7 hours and the battery went from 70% to 10%. The battery is a 8500 mah battery so it was consuming about 8% of that per hour -- that will work just fine for me!)

Last edited:
Updated to 10.14.6 without issue. Updated Clover to r5018 then only had to rebuild kextcache and fix permissions to get track pad back in order.

Hmmm looks like you're still using an older version of Clover. There was a change recently that moved the drivers around and organized them into folders. They no longer append -64 to them. When and if you decide to update Clover take some precautions and review the changes to make sure you don't get screwed.

I would have thought maybe it's just all the files in the FileVault 2 UEFI drivers section?
View attachment 416856

Sorry for the late reply.

Good call, you are correct - Clover now arranges the drivers differently it seems.

I did a quick test by installing the latest version of Clover and adding the Filevault drivers via the installer. It still works but there is a strange delay (About 20 seconds), in between the Apple logo appearing and the screen to unlock the drive. The same delay does not occur when restoring the drivers that I listed in my previous post. With the previous configuration, the apple logo appears for barely 2 seconds and then goes to the filevault unlock screen. It works either way but the additional delay is a little odd. Maybe it is just a new Clover thing.

I still had no luck with iMessage and Facetime - maybe it's just an issue with my Apple account. The WiFi slowdown after sleep seems fine now - I removed the network/wake for wifi access option. Not sure whether that fixed the issue but everything seems fine now.

As a side note, I also upgraded to 10.14.6 without any issues at all.

Last edited:
I finally got my dell XPS 9560 Hackintosh dual booted and everything is working as should be. I do have 1 issue with my dell dock. it is a USB C TB15. I downloaded the files needed to install the USB C to get it to work but i am not sure how to install .aml files. I know they are for DSDT, but i have never used DSDT. Anyone know of a good guide or a walkthrough that will assist me in getting my USB C up and running?

I'm having the hardest time trying to get my trackpad working with all gestures. It seems to only work with basic ones (tap to click, two finger scrolling, etc). I followed the guide and used your latest Clover files. What do you need from me so I can get some help with this. Everything else seems to be working quite well on my 9560.

I've been at this for the past 3 hours, completely new to this. I just can't seem to get disk drives or the USB installer to display at the Clover bootscreen. I feel as if I'm missing a step. If anyone has any suggestions as I'd be willing to try anything at this point.

I've created a USB installer drive > Installed Clover EFI Bootloader onto the appropriate said USB > Selected UEFI and Clover in the ESP. > Deleted the clover folder from the USB drive and swapped with the supplied Clover folder. > Booted off the USB and experiencing my current issue, can't proceed with install.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back