CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 3000 | GTX 1650 LP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@blazinsmokey I have a Lenovo V330-15IKB and I ordered a Samsung PM961 500GB NVME drive for a very cheap price (60 Euro), It should arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I previously had a 250gb model and ended up returning because I wasn't able to make it work and didn't have time to experiment much at that time.

Now I'm curious to know if it works fine as I remember that Rehabman used to tell me that PM961 has some incompatibility issues.

As I understand your guide, you are using it only with that KextToPatch from Piker Alpha on Mojave right ?.
If that's the case that would be awesome.
We still don't have NVME Power Management on Hackintosh/3rd party nvme drives (non-Apple) on Apple Devices.
It would be nice if someone does have a macbook/macbookair/macbookpro with nvme drive (genuine from Apple) to upload ioreg and ACPI tables so I can analyze and maybe figure out how to implement power management on Non Apple nvme drives for macOS.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
yes I would in that order, do your partition first, then install clover to osx ESP, then copy your usb key clover folder to ESP, then install windows, then delete all bios boot entry and manually add bootX64.efi not to bother about windows update anymore and reboot directly from Clover. Does it make sense?

It does, and I just did it. However, it keeps re-adding ****ing windows back automatically on boot on top of Clover in the boot menu. It's pissing me off. Have you run into this?

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9560 FHD
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It does, and I just did it. However, it keeps re-adding ****ing windows back automatically on boot on top of Clover in the boot menu. It's pissing me off. Have you run into this?
Did you delete all bios boot entries and re add just bootX64.efi, only that one (call it clover). Reboot and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600 + GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@blazinsmokey I have a Lenovo V330-15IKB and I ordered a Samsung PM961 500GB NVME drive for a very cheap price (60 Euro), It should arrive Monday or Tuesday.
I previously had a 250gb model and ended up returning because I wasn't able to make it work and didn't have time to experiment much at that time.

Now I'm curious to know if it works fine as I remember that Rehabman used to tell me that PM961 has some incompatibility issues.

As I understand your guide, you are using it only with that KextToPatch from Piker Alpha on Mojave right ?.
If that's the case that would be awesome.
We still don't have NVME Power Management on Hackintosh/3rd party nvme drives (non-Apple) on Apple Devices.
It would be nice if someone does have a macbook/macbookair/macbookpro with nvme drive (genuine from Apple) to upload ioreg and ACPI tables so I can analyze and maybe figure out how to implement power management on Non Apple nvme drives for macOS.

Read the guide again, we are not using any patches. I put the patches there if others have nvme drives that don't have matching device ids. The only thing I figured out with the PM961 is to use VirtualSMC and AptioMemFix. I can't remember. There was a post I made a long time ago here search PM961 panic or something.

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600 + GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

You have to go into BIOS and set the path for the boot entry on the USB drive. Bios->General->Boot Sequence. Add boot option, give it a name, select the right file system from the list, and select EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi

I just added that to the guide, I commented this for someone else before that was having issues booting. Do the same but for your NVME drive.

Sniki

Motherboard
HP Elite 8300 SFF
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 3000 | GTX 1650 LP
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Read the guide again, we are not using any patches. I put the patches there if others have nvme drives that don't have matching device ids. The only thing I figured out with the PM961 is to use VirtualSMC and AptioMemFix. I can't remember. There was a post I made a long time ago here search PM961 panic or something.
I read the guide but I wasn't sure wether you put the patch for PM961 or others that don't have same NVME/Matching IDs.
Well, excellent news then, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I found that topic then directed to your guide there, luckily VirtualSMC and AptioMemoryFix is the setup I use, previously when I tried, VirtualSMC was on it's early stages therefore wasn't working with my Laptop, now it does very well.
Thanks for that topic, It cleared my doubts about this NVME drive.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You have to go into BIOS and set the path for the boot entry on the USB drive. Bios->General->Boot Sequence. Add boot option, give it a name, select the right file system from the list, and select EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi

I just added that to the guide, I commented this for someone else before that was having issues booting. Do the same but for your NVME drive.

Appreciate the reply, question what's the difference between booting clover from the boot folder and the clover folder? Doesn't the boot folder redirect to the cloverx64.efi or am I completely off here?

Also, this is what I was trying to do but for some reason it kept adding Windows above it over and over. Deleting everything again and then re-adding for a third time finally seems to have resolved it. It was very odd.

On the drive note, so far I have been completely stable with the HP drive for both Windows and OSX. So either Pike's patch was ****ing up OSX or that drive is bad despite Crystal Disk and Dell Diagnostics saying that it was fine. Annoyed that I had to pay for another drive despite an extended warranty, but performance is much better anyway. So that's nice.

Thank you @mazakiss!

Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe
CPU
E5-2697v3
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I read the guide but I wasn't sure wether you put the patch for PM961 or others that don't have same NVME/Matching IDs.
Well, excellent news then, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I found that topic then directed to your guide there, luckily VirtualSMC and AptioMemoryFix is the setup I use, previously when I tried, VirtualSMC was on it's early stages therefore wasn't working with my Laptop, now it does very well.
Thanks for that topic, It cleared my doubts about this NVME drive.

I too have a PM961 in my system and can report that with the latest AptioMemoryFix my panics from IONVMeFamily are gone. Uptime on my system is now over a week - previously unheard of before blazinsmokey posted this fix. I'd agree you are safe with this drive.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560 - 1.10.1 - Clover
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
I too have a PM961 in my system and can report that with the latest AptioMemoryFix my panics from IONVMeFamily are gone. Uptime on my system is now over a week - previously unheard of before blazinsmokey posted this fix. I'd agree you are safe with this drive.

I have as well PM961 samsung 1tb and since OP post i have used kext2patch and never had issue also had it used without (using mazakis config and havent got issues but i think the battery was bad) without issues as well.

Motherboard
Dell XPS 9560 FHD
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have as well PM961 samsung 1tb and since OP post i have used kext2patch and never had issue also had it used without (using mazakis config and havent got issues but i think the battery was bad) without issues as well.
That’s interesting, since I only installed Mojave and knew now they had the correct drivers I never used kext2patch/IONVMeFamily on my install.
While things are working great, I wonder If changing file sector has an implication as far as battery life is concerned.

Does any other people using kext2patch/IONVMeFamily has noticed an increasing battery life when switching?

From reading all over the internet, even on windows most xps owners equiped with the 97Wh battery also report an average 7 to 9 hours of autonomy so considering this our hack has great battery life. I mean it’s a 45W CPU so battery life is closer to most gaming laptop.

@blazinsmokey like you I managed to find a 14,1 smbios mbp dump done with Darwin Dumper. The issue is except looking at the ACPI tables I don’t know if it could help solving type-c and tb implementation since these dumps haven’t been done with a type-c/tb adapter plugged in.

I have a co-worker who own a mbp 13,3 will it help if I managed to get its IOReg with my adapter and dell TB16 plugged in?

Last edited: