Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9560 Mojave VirtualSMC, I2C Trackpad, Clover UEFI Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, slow the pace man i can’t keep going! That’s litterally insane!
Just a side note about temps....
I will also report sleep regarding your last post.

Hey I failed pretty miserably last night, but efff it I'm still trying. I learned so much useless stuff hahaha.
This dump is amazing I wonder if I could post it here?

I wanted to point out something in your screenshots. Notice the frequency and core utilization, if the cores aren't loaded your temps will stay down. 80 tabs in memory that's not active won't cause heat.

Because of you I started monitoring temps a bit more. No mods, no voltage shift. It's a real shame the quality control Dell must have had with these. Look how cool mine is :thumbup:
Temps.png

This dump is amazing I wonder if I could post it here?
Good question... @Feartech is it allowed?

I tested sleep on battery after 3 hours closing the lid. It works on Battery now after I logged out and logged in back from iCloud, I don't know what was the issue.

Side question: does anyone tested if FindMyMac is working or not via iCloud. I didn't select it back when logging back.

For laptop sleep on adapter, I still must test.

I had also a weird stuff with battery draining so fast since last changes. I thought my battery was bad or defective. So I bought another one directly from Dell, outch!!!

That's when I realised "USB power share" was ON in the Bios. Removing it is just Night and Day. For anybody having this issue @LeLunZ and others maybe check if you had it enabled before. Also people complaining about having the left side of the palmrest very hot, also fixed the issue. Damn.

So unsuccessful last night? Wish you luck!

Because of you I started monitoring temps a bit more. No mods, no voltage shift. It's a real shame the quality control Dell must have had with these. Look how cool mine is :thumbup:
Do you use it on a bench/desk or on your lap?

I actually do have an issue with the battery life, it's really much shorter than expected, maybe 2-3hrs. I switched the charging behaviour to "Standard" in the BIOS but that was no real game changer. It even says "Replace soon" when I tap on the battery symbol. Is this something one can trust? Does the macOS recognise the battery health somehow?

I actually do have an issue with the battery life, it's really much shorter than expected, maybe 2-3hrs. I switched the charging behaviour to "Standard" in the BIOS but that was no real game changer. It even says "Replace soon" when I tap on the battery symbol. Is this something one can trust? Does the macOS recognise the battery health somehow?
Do you have the same behaviour on windows? Did you tried bios diagnostic tool (Fn key + power button at boot)? What is battery health status on the Bios?

Already heard this before on the VirtualSMC thread. The thing that I really do not understand is that the drain was slower on my old 1 year old stock 56W battery vs brand new OEM Dell 97W. Don't know why.

Did the last Bios update... testing (a bit stupid I know lol).

I don't have Windows anymore, I don't really need it anymore. So I can't tell really. The BIOS says health is excellent, also the system diag.

One more thing, the fan never really stops. I think that used to be different. Now even at 41°C the fan is there.

Hmm, okay I can't seem to figure this out.

I am running the Clover 3.2 build (though the same behavior happened on old builds as well) with a modification to use my LiteOn NVME.
Code:
Compiled SSDT-NVME.aml pointed towards the proper PCIE slot.
That's all I've edited, and I included the same fix as OP for the Samsung drive as it was applicable.
Code:
KextsToPatch
Name: com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily
Find: F6C1100F 85410100 00
Replace: F6C1010F 85410100 00
Comment: IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -> 0x01, credit RehabMan based on 10.12 patch (c) Pike R. Alpha

After about 24 hours the APFS volume gets corrupted to the point to where I cannot even mount the APFS partition in terminal from the installer. I get bus error 10. It could have gone into hibernate, I let it run synching to dropbox while caffeinated, but I would be surprised since I ran the no hibernate script twice and you have the redundancy built in on the kext in Clover.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or what I can do as a next step? @blazinsmokey I am losing my mind a bit.

Tempted to just replace the damn drive, it seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Last edited:

I am running the Clover 3.2 build

Clover 3.3 fixes the battery issue. There was a patched file which wasn't linked correctly in clover in the 3.2 release. I recommend upgrading :)

That's when I realised "USB power share" was ON in the Bios. Removing it is just Night and Day. For anybody having this issue @LeLunZ and others maybe check if you had it enabled before. Also people complaining about having the left side of the palmrest very hot, also fixed the issue. Damn.

Thanks for the tip. I was experiencing these issues and the hot palm rest, so I'll report back on results :)

I am running the Clover 3.2 build (though the same behavior happened on old builds as well) with a modification to use my LiteOn NVME.
Code:
Compiled SSDT-NVME.aml pointed towards the proper PCIE slot.
That's all I've edited, and I included the same fix as OP for the Samsung drive as it was applicable.
Code:
KextsToPatch
Name: com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily
Find: F6C1100F 85410100 00
Replace: F6C1010F 85410100 00
Comment: IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -> 0x01, credit RehabMan based on 10.12 patch (c) Pike R. Alpha

After about 24 hours the APFS volume gets corrupted to the point to where I cannot even mount the APFS partition in terminal from the installer. I get bus error 10. It could have gone into hibernate, I let it run synching to dropbox while caffeinated, but I would be surprised since I ran the no hibernate script twice and you have the redundancy built in on the kext in Clover.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or what I can do as a next step? @blazinsmokey I am losing my mind a bit.

Tempted to just replace the damn drive, it seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.
Ok I think I solved this with Pike's updated fix from Feb.

Now, I can't seem to get the internal EFI to boot after updating to 10.14.5 from 10.14.2, but I can boot fine from USB. I tried repasting my Clover and everything to the internal EFI, managed to break windows, but it still doesn't seem to load the Kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back